prescription charges annual certificate

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    hi all
    I am sticking up for my doc! She was more than happy to tell me all about pre-payment certificates without my asking. But it is true that they are not well promoted.

You can also buy it online at

http://www.ppa.org.uk/ppa/ppc_intro.htm

Louise
  • System
    I highly recommend that parents buy these prescription certificates for their children with medical conditions before they send them off to university

At a recent Asthma Conference , they said that many students have bad asthma attacks because they ran out of their inhalers and didn't know how to renew.

The certificate is good at any chemist in the country so students can go into the chemist close to uni and get their medicines refilled.

It could save their life.

Carol -spec needs mum
  • Galstonian
    Galstonian Posts: 1,292 Forumite
    "many students have bad asthma attacks because they ran out of their inhalers and didn't know how to renew."

The cream of the crop. The top minds of tomorrow. Our hope for the future. Don't know how to go to a pharmacist. Maybe it was something they smoked?
  • marvin
    marvin Posts: 2,185 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    The medical conditions are
    a permanent fistula (for example caecostomy, colostomy, laryngostomy or ileostomy) requiring continuous surgical dressing or requiring an appliance

forms of hypoadrenalism (for example Addison's disease) for which specific substitution therapy is essential

diabetes insipidus or other forms of hypopituitarism

diabetes mellitus except where treatment is by diet alone

hypoparathyroidism

myasthenia gravis

myxoedema

epilepsy requiring continuous anticonvulsive therapy

a continuing physical disability which means the person cannot go out without the help of another person. Temporary disabilities do not count even if they last for several months.

http://www.ppa.org.uk/ppa/medex.htm
    for more details

The last one is the one that interested me as even benefits advice professionals did not know about that one. But be aware it does not mean a broken leg it does mean real life lasting physical disabilities.

Your DR has the form and they have to fill most of it in and send it off so ask the receptionist for form FP92A, put your name and address on it and hand it back.
    I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left.
  • System
    My ex gets child tax credits.In the post today she got a pre-paid certificate for herself and all 3 children (and any partner).The covering letter just said that she was entitled to this as she was claiming child tax - she did not apply for it.
  • System
    I phoned the number on the back of the repeat prescription, and the operator was helpful, and took a few details (like "is the person you are calling on behalf of turning blue?" - a question she said she had to ask!) just to find out about a possible reduction in charges, I wasn't asking for free! She took down all the details and someone phoned back 4 hours later. They sent me an HC1 form to fill in 'Claim for help with health costs' through the NHS Low Income Scheme. It looks like you might be able to get partial help if you are claiming Income Support, Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, Pension Credit or Tax Credits Award. I have searched through to find where it states what the low income actually is and if you live with someone as a partner, their earnings, savings and benefits are classed as combined income.

The most important thing I can add is that if you are Welsh you can get free prescriptions/dental examinations until you are 25!!!! ;D

The HC1 form is very thorough (complex! ???) but you can get a form by ringing the Health Benefits Division number on 0845 850 1166, Mon-Fri 0800-1800.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    max - what a wonderful post - thank you. I'm going to move it to the beginning of the thread.

martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • System
    Details of the help you can get with health costs in set out in the leaflet HC11 which you can download from here
    http://www.dh.gov.uk/assetRoot/04/07/80/85/04078085.pdf

May I also stress the criteria a continuing physical disability which means the person cannot go out without the help of another person. set out here
    http://www.ppa.org.uk/ppa/medex.htm

It probably includes most folk on DLA Higher Rate mobility who aren't aware they could have free prescriptions.

Folk on Tax credits should also read the leaflet here

WTC6 Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit. Other types of help you may be able to get
    August 2003
    http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/pdfs/wtc6.pdf
  • One point I forgot last night is that the law regarding Low Income and Prescription Charges was changed by Statutory Instrument earlier this month.

Now if your total weekly income is up to half (£3.20) the current prescription charge (£6.40) more than the amount the law says you need to live on you can still get free prescriptions.

Before the cut off point was the amount the law says you need to live on (applicable amount) so one penny more than you would get on Income Support meant you had to pay.

If you want to find out how much the law says you need to live on is you can;
    Phone BEL 0800 88 22 00 and ask for an Applicable Amount calculation.
    Use an online Web Benefit Calculator
    http://www.chiltern.gov.uk/benefits/wbc-03.htm example only, your local authority may have it's own.
    or use the information here to work it out yourself
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/life/benefits/income_support.htm

It's probably a good idea to try to use all methods as even the DWP can get it wrong.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Private Prescriptions
    However antibiotics are incredibly cheap so next time you need some ask your doctor if he is willing to write a private prescription. If he is all you will need to pay is around £4.00 instead of £6.40.

maybe a dumb question, but what is a private prescription, and how is this different to a normal prescription, i have never heard of this before.

another tip: is aks around between close family if they have any spare unused medicines/creams that you may need to use. E..g i bought some T-gel recently ,but just a few days afterwards my dad told me had a spare unused bottle, as he could not use it any more. Would have saved me some £s and saved a bottle from the bin.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure