Can car fail an MOT if the battery does not have enough power?

sinar
sinar Posts: 144 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had heard of this before.

My car is just in for an MOT (5 yr old Nissan Micra) and I've been told that I need a new battery as the one on the car will not pass the MOT as it does not have enough power to run all the electrical systems at once.

I've never had any issues with the battery, it's the original battery so it is probably due for a new one anyway, I've just never heard of an MOT failure due to this issue.

Thanks for reading,

Julie

Comments

• pendulum
    pendulum Posts: 2,302 Forumite
    Sounds like bull to me. I think a battery can fail for leaking acid everywhere (don't quote me on it) or being insecure in its holder (again don't quote me) but I know for a fact they don't test their electrical power and as long as its powerful enough to start the car it will be fine for the MoT.

As part of the MoT they don't turn all the electrical systems on at once either.

They're trying to sell you stuff you don't need, almost certainly.
  • sinar
    Thanks, thats what I'm worried about, they are servicing the car before they MOT it, so maybe thats why they checked.

I can't help but think they want to make more ££, I've never had a single issue with the battery up to now.
  • sinar
    i've just phoned up the garage, and mentioned my concerns to them, and they have said

"The battery is condition is not part of the MOT, but, it is a condition of the MOT that the battery is able to power all electrical items at once"

It does seem contradictory to me.
  • pendulum
    pendulum Posts: 2,302 Forumite
    Rubbish. I'd run a mile from that garage. All they do is check the lights, horn, and start the car for the emissions test. Your battery's almost certainly fine for that if you've not noticed any problems before. It seems they have you down as a mug. I'd take the car elsewhere for the MoT if possible.
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    Agree, if the battery is starting the car ok and not going flat then it is fine, it can not deliver Ampage without Voltage, I would find another MOT station, sounds like this one are looking for some easy part swap mark ups.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • sinar
    pendulum wrote: »
    Rubbish. I'd run a mile from that garage. All they do is check the lights, horn, and start the car for the emissions test. Your battery's almost certainly fine for that if you've not noticed any problems before. It seems they have you down as a mug. I'd take the car elsewhere for the MoT if possible.

Thanks, I can't help think because I"m a middle aged women they might think they can spin me a line, (not trying to be sexist here, maybe I am wrong)

I've printed off a copy of the VT40 test check list and I"m taking it down there now to ask them what on the list is relevant the battery, I can't see anything on the list that should cause my battery to lead to an MOT failure.
  • steveo3002
    steveo3002 Posts: 2,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    try it your self ...start the car and put on the headlights and hazzards , if the engine stays on and the lights all work then theres no problem

if the battery is so dead it wont start the car then they are unable to test it

does sound like a scam , might be best to find a more honest garage as they will likley try and find some other fault
  • I've never seen an MOT tester switch all electrical items on at once so does seem strange, I can see their point if the battery was in such poor state that it would barely turn the engine over as that could be a potential hazzard, on the other hand if they were just looking for work then why a battery? this is a simple DIY task, in fact many places like Halfords will even fit it for you, I wouldn't have thought there would be anything in it for the garage to be honest.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 30 August 2011 at 9:55AM
    Could be another fault, like a dodgy ground connection causing dim rear/brake lights and they're just being idiots by assuming it's the battery.

Very old battery though, i'd strongly doubt a 5 year old battery will last another winter. I'd be tempted to by a new one, fit it myself, take it back and say "right where's my certificate?" :p
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure