PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheapest Place to Buy Walnuts?

Does anyone know where is cheapest for Walnuts? I want to make Baklava but don't have the time to wander round searching for cheap prices for these. I found them in Julian Graves at £1.89 for 200g but this still seemed a little pricey. Is there anywhere cheaper?
Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250

Comments

• Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I know of a few places online you could get them cheaper, but unless you're placing a large order (usually £30 min) to get free P&P then it might not work out as economical. I usually wait till I need to stock up on other storecupboard items and get them all in one go.
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    CQ - what places would you go to online? I quite fancy a browse :)
  • Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Trow wrote:
    CQ - what places would you go to online? I quite fancy a browse :)

One of my fav places is Redmoor and I recently got a delivery from Goodness Direct which sells lots of organic stuff and not just food! Spiceworld is another place I've ordered from in the past, as well as Hoo Hing which is great for those that don't live near any ethnic shops, and I've just noticed it also sells 5lt white vinegar for £3.75 :D

Edit: It looks like Hoo Hing have increased their delivery charges since I last ordered and there doesn't appear to be a free P&P option over a certain amount anymore :eek:
    ~

• Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    https://www.merchant-gourmet.com has bags of vacum packed chestnuts, I had some last night in a risotto and it was delicious. Free p&p and a free gift if you spend over £20.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Trow
    Thanks - I am gonna look at Hoo Hing first as I have no asian supermarket near me!
  • Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Trow wrote:
    Thanks - I am gonna look at Hoo Hing first as I have no asian supermarket near me!

Watch out for the delivery charges there Trow, don't know if you saw my edit on my last post, but they've increased and not cheap anymore!!!!

Have a look at the Goodness Direct one as they sell ethnic products too and I got some lovely Japanese noodles, porcini mushrooms, tahini and harissa pastes, Blue Dragon sweet chilli dipping sauces and lots of other yummy goodies from there last week.

Oh, I also spoilt myself to a jar of Green & Blacks chocolate spread and it's absolutely deeeelicious :D

P&P was free cos i spent £30 too ;)

For spices, pulses, fruit/nuts etc I usually use Redmoor as they're cheaper and also free P&P and they also sell all the old-fashioned sweets we used to get as a kid :j
    ~

• Trow
    I always check delivery prices - as we often get swindled living up here! Minimum charge was £22 for Hoo Hing (scottish islands) - I'll pass thanks :)
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks CQ, I've taken a look at that Redmoor site and it does look good but post and packaging are only free if you spend over £30 and I really don't need that much stuff yet. Looks like I'll have to pop to Julian Graves this week.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    moggins wrote:
    Thanks CQ, I've taken a look at that Redmoor site and it does look good but post and packaging are only free if you spend over £30 and I really don't need that much stuff yet. Looks like I'll have to pop to Julian Graves this week.

Yes, that's the problem if you only want one or two things and normally have access to shops to get bits and pieces, but for someone like me, and I know there's a few housebound people posting here, they're good because they stock so much more variety than what's available at Tesco for instance, and as I cook a lot of ethnic dishes I can still get hold of obscure spices and ingredients that I wouldn't otherwise be able to get.

I think we're incredibly fortunate these days to be able to obtain just about anything we want at the stroke of a keyboard, and it often makes me appreciate the difficulties my mother/grandmother must have faced at times (they both suffered agoraphobia of varying degrees throughout their lives too) in having to rely on other people to do simple things like shopping. I do still rely on DS to do some things, i.e. PO runs, some banking or the odd bit of grocery shopping if I run out or forget to order something, but on the whole I'm pretty self-sufficient thanks to the internet :)

I guess the downside to it is though that it doesn't encourage me to go out because I don't need to :confused:
    ~

• cristin
    cristin Posts: 56 Forumite
    Just a quick thought Moggins, probably stating the obvious here but.... baklava is greek/turkish.... are there any greek or turkish delis or shops near you, as I have often found that going to these type of shops you will often find "home" ingredients cheaper. Or maybe you could have a look in the greek or turkish section in your local supermaket, my local morrisons has one ..... just a thought

cristin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport