Joined 31.05.16

Options

Comments

• Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If your debt is increasing and you want to pay it off asap why even think of yet more expensive ideas for next year. I have been concerned at what you consider "essential". £80 on perfume, teeth whitening, and planned plastic surgery come to mind but also impulsive spends on clothes and electric items I think.
    Yes you have to live and enjoy life but you need to work out a budget and stick to it rather than making ever more excuses as to why you have overspent yet again.
    Great idea on alcohol free run up to Xmas. Keep trying and you'llget there.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • Verbatim
    Options
    If your debt is increasing and you want to pay it off asap why even think of yet more expensive ideas for next year. I have been concerned at what you consider "essential". £80 on perfume, teeth whitening, and planned plastic surgery come to mind but also impulsive spends on clothes and electric items I think.
    Yes you have to live and enjoy life but you need to work out a budget and stick to it rather than making ever more excuses as to why you have overspent yet again.
    Great idea on alcohol free run up to Xmas. Keep trying and you'llget there.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • reality_check
    reality_check Posts: 752 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 November 2016 at 12:53PM
    Options
    It is hard to change habits of a lifetime. We are in debt for a reason, because we've started a diary isn't magically going to stop us spending, just need to make sure the old habits rear their ugly head every now and again and not every month.

I couldn’t agree more with Ramble, you need to give yourself money to spend on yourself. Who cares if it increases the time your debt is paid back, you will get there eventually. When you don’t have a budget for you and keep strict budgets on your bills/debt repayments etc when you do buy yourself something (which will happen, I would say it’s virtually impossible for us not to!) then you don’t feel so guilty. I started paying every last penny to debt, had no money for myself, then when I did buy myself something I would feel bad then think F@1# it I have ruined it now and lose motivation and often keep spending.

I know you really don’t want to tell your parents, I haven’t told mine either, well not fully but they are terrible with money and for some bizarre reason think I am really good! Anyway, if they did find out yeah they might be a bit disappointed but they would get over it and wouldn’t love you any less - it’s just what parents do. I know you want to get the debt down asap, we all do, but maybe in the new year for maybe the first 6 months of the year you could half the loan to your parents and use that as spending money and focus everything else on the loan/credit cards?

With regards to teeth whitening, have you went ahead and paid? I have done a few in the past and paid about £300-500 and they aren't any good. I think you really need to committ to about a £1000 upwards to actually see decent results. I have used Crest teeth whitening strips in the past from America and they are great! Need to make sure they are the ones that say ‘Luxe’ on them and they are fantastic. In America they are allowed to add a higher % of the stuff that bleach your teeth than we can in the UK. I know some people prefer to go to the professionals but me and a lot of people I know have used them for years and had no problems and pearly white teeth. They cost about £40 for a weeks application and that’s all you need every 6 months.

Keep on going PSL, you’re doing great!! xxx
    Starting debt £18,675.63 :eek:
    Current debt: £5,000 (16/05/18)
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    verbatim I think "essential" is all about perspective. I work in a super-!!!!!y office, I believe perfume to be essential honestly.
    At the moment every time I look in the mirror i am anxious that other people are looking at my teeth. So when i was at the dentist we talked about it and my dentist suggested I may want to book the whitening and yes I do. Although I want to get out of debt i need to do something about this.
    I will try my dentist first reality and then Be brave and try the American way if it doesn't work.

On friday I got one of my friends on board and started texting him everything that i buy. It is helping. He texts back helpful things.
    I think its going to help.

Today is 129 days of loan, 5 to next payment.
    2 to payday.

Need to do small lidl shop. Visit the bank and get this second account sorted out.

On payday
    Pay council tax
    Pay very 123
    Need a quiet weekend before bills paid the week after.
    Planned black friday purchase for christmas presents.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • Verbatim
    Options
    I really get that you are concerned about your appearance, (regular leg wax and eyebrows, teeth whitening, hair, perfume, clothes) and that as a single woman you'd like to meet someone. Perhaps meeting people should be more of a priority? I'm a long time out of the dating scene but do you think men even notice such nitty gritty aspects of how you look? Perhaps. But surely common interests and personality are more important? Could you maybe join a cheap evening class, or weekend volunteering group or special interest group (music, sport, politics, walking, debate, dance whatever) where you'd be likely to meet people you'd be likely to get on with?
    But as several posters have said a budget is essential (that word again) so that you know how much you have for all the essentials. If you spend more than you have available, no matter how essential, you will get further into debt.
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    Oh dear I fear I am coming across very vain. But i dont think i could cut any of these things. Its not necessarily in an effort to attract man, although it is a little bit, Its more about looking normal at work than anything. And in the age of the constant camera-phone. But it is something i hadn't really considered before. I will ponder this.

But yes of course it would be nice to meet someone. I am involved in so many things and meet people all the time but never anyone that I have the click with or if I do I find out they are married/kids.multiple women/criminal/unsuitable other reason. I watch first dates channel 4 and honestly most of the time just despair, although some are very sweet but unsuitable. Also married at first sight which honestly quite upset me.
    I did sort out bank.account today so £300 moving over as soon as I receive the pin.

I also just wanted to highlight that i didn't swear above, it was another word for catty that I hadn't realised would be blocked out.

I am living in the now but so so much looking forward to the new year. I do love christmas but its stressful for reasons that have nothing to do with money. But 2 paydays prior to 2017 which will help.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I wear perfume every day, get my eyebrows threaded, my moustacio waxed off.

I just shave my legs though but not because I am budgeting it, I'm a pure woos!

As I said before these things you want/need and enjoy so go for it, maybe the only thing is could you get it done at different places to use new customer discounts, groupon deals things like that??

Missed you when I was AWOL.

Dxxx
  • Verbatim
    Options
    Ah catty! I wondered if it was smelly (as discussing perfume)! It didn't occur to me that you had sworn just that you had disguised the word.
    Well done on the new bank account.
    Colleges with beauty and hairdressing courses have cheap deals so their students get real life experience. They are apparently very well supervised by the trainers and everyone on here who has tried them has been impressed. And of course the charges are a fraction of commercial rates.
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've never had really expensive tastes. I have my hair coloured every six weeks, it costs me £23 as the hairdresser just colours it, washes it and I walk out with wet hair. It would be £50 normally.

I used to spend £20 on lex waxing every six weeks but I bought an epilator and it does the job well enough.

I use perfume, make up and wear nice clothes but I don't spend a ton of money.

My only vice is I have my nails done every 3 weeks at £25 a time. I'm going to stop this in the new year for a few weeks and throw the money at my cc.

I need lots of new stuff but I don't even consider buying anything as I want to clear my debt. I'm managing with what I have. I budget my money and allocate it to different bits. So in my head I know I can't spend that £30 as YNAB tells me it's for petrol.

If I start buying things and putting them back on my credit card I'll be back where I started in July.

If you want to see change, you've GOT to make changes otherwise everything stays the same!
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    louby I can't disagree with you. You are right.

Today is 1.more day to payday and 4 more to next loan payment. 128 total loan days.

Non spend day today and beans on toast for tea. Same again tommorow. Then friday payday.

Early night tonight.

2018 plans - reduce debt
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business