Renting vs buying in 2017

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I wonder what the reason for that could be? Something to do with the experience of the last decade in the property market, I'd say. Once bitten etc.
    I bought a few years back (post crash) because I wanted the property. What's it worth? Whatever someone will pay for it. Could be more, could be less than I paid for it.

Are you really saying you're expecting another MASSIVE market adjustment DOWNWARDS like we saw in 2007? :eek: Because if not, why does it really matter what happened 10 years ago?

The last decade has been interesting, but not devastating for those who hadnt bought on the sharp rise - which is the vast majority of people.

If you were to look outside that 10 year window, prices were going crazy from around 2004 upwards, peaking 2007/2008. When they dropped sharply, some people got badly burnt. For the vast majority of people it was a paper loss as it was money they never had in the first place.

Those who bought say, pre 2004 and are still merrily paying away at the mortgage wont have cared one jot.

Those who bought say, from 2010 onwards might have seen a little decline, but have seen that recover and are perhaps up a little.

We have seen a very slow, gradual recovery here and prices are still relatively low - maybe 55% of what they were at that massive peak.

If you're buying pretty much in a trough of prices anyway, then if you're buying a home not an investment it matters very little whether we see some movement upwards or downwards in the market between now and when you're mortgage finishes.
  • motorguy
    edited 2 October 2017 at 5:51PM
    And of course it matters.

So go on then - WHY?

If you're buying a home not an investment to pay off over say 25 years and we're roughly speaking in a trough of prices anyway, WHY does it matter if prices might go up a bit or down a bit at some point in the future?
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 October 2017 at 6:26PM
    Because I would imagine paying a mortgage of £1000 a month is preferable to one of £2000, particularly to those who frequent a money saver website. It'd matter to me, anyway, even if you apparently don't care.
    Those who bought within your little bracket, and there must be many, since the turnover in houses then was massive, have been pretty much slaughtered. Still paying double what they would be if theyd hung on for a year or two.
    I don't particularly expect anything, I'm just saying there's no reason why we couldn't get another dive. Have I contradicted some law of nature or something?
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • motorguy
    Because I would imagine paying a mortgage of £1000 a month is preferable to one of £2000, particularly to those who frequent a money saver website. It'd matter to me, anyway, even if you apparently don't care.
    Those who bought within your little bracket, and there must be many, since the turnover in houses then was massive, have been pretty much slaughtered. Still paying double what they would be if theyd hung on for a year or two.
    I don't particularly expect anything, I'm just saying there's no reason why we couldn't get another dive. Have I contradicted some law of nature or something?

So, you're expecting another 50% drop in the market, from where we are now?

We've had a MASSIVE price readjustment 10 years ago now, after a period of rapid growth in prices, and we've had approx 7 years of relative stability since 2010 / 2011 ish, with prices growing slowing at maybe 4% per year, and we're still only around half what the market was / roughly where it was in 2004/2005, but you're expecting the market to drop by another 50% drop??

OR you at least believe thats a real and viable possibility??

OK.......
  • qwert_yuiop
    As I say, I'm not particularly expecting anything. There might be a downturn, there might not. Is it impossible? I can't think of any reason why it would be. OK..?
  • qwert_yuiop
    Interest is the money you pay to the bank to rent their house from them, and unless the house is increasing in value at a higher percentage than your interest rate, is equally eligible to be considered as thrown in the sheugh.
    Even if you're in the happy position of being able to write a cheque for your house without going anywhere near the bank, opportunity cost also applies.

That’s approx. £12 per month on your £100,000 mortgage this morning, folks. Can you cope?
  • Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The end is nigh!
  • qwert_yuiop
    Zola. wrote: »
    The end is nigh!

There was a weird discussion on another thread about a BMW driver who couldn’t afford £190 to repair a scrape. It baffled me that someone would leave themselves living that close to penury to have a nice car. Let’s hope he hasn’t a prestige mortgage - he’s in a scrape now.
  • Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Sign of the times!!

I wonder was it an old Beemer?
  • qwert_yuiop
    Zola. wrote: »
    Sign of the times!!

I wonder was it an old Beemer?

Immaculate, apparently. You can find it under “child run into my car”. The car may even have been better than his English.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport