How to check your Internet usage (bandwidth)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've been using Tautology Bandwidth Meter for a few years now without any faults.

Latest version is v1.5 and they have a new home page link at: http://file.xtreme.googlepages.com/bm.html
  • yaddayadda
    yaddayadda Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm using a Netgear DG834G for my laptop and XBOX - is there any way to extract my bandwidth usage from the router? The stats on the router pages are garbage, unless someone can convert packages to GB??!
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    Options
    yaddayadda wrote: »
    I'm using a Netgear DG834G for my laptop and XBOX - is there any way to extract my bandwidth usage from the router? The stats on the router pages are garbage, unless someone can convert packages to GB??!

If you enable Extended stats on this program, you will get the total usage displayed in Mb. here.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • go2008
    go2008 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    hi ,thx very useful for me .
  • krad
    krad Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    plusnet allow you to check it through their website. I'm on the 30GB monthly plan so I really need to watch my usage.
  • Mullhon2
    Mullhon2 Posts: 1,312 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mrJ wrote: »
    sounds like you would be using a router - most routers have some sort of statistics monitoring service on them - normally you can access your router by typing in http://192.168.0.1 in your web browser

most of the time, everything is measured in bytes, so remember to divide by 1024 for KB, 1024 again for MB, and 1024 a third time for GB

hope this helps

Hi,
    This asks for a User name and password, how do I find it?

I'm wanting to switch providers, currently on unlimited usage, is there a way I can check the previous usage?
    ITV Winners Club Member (106)
    Thank you all who post comps and answer questions.
  • Geoffo_M
    Geoffo_M Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    Options
    I appreciate Netmeter is designed to keep running totals of bandwidth usage.But I was wondering if it will do individual speed tests as well?
  • rusrey
    Options
    Geoffo_M wrote: »
    I appreciate Netmeter is designed to keep running totals of bandwidth usage.But I was wondering if it will do individual speed tests as well?

I normally use one of the speedtest sites, such as www.speedtest.net which gives some good real world figures. The figures will be a bit lower than the theoretical ones, but then that's broadband!

My home connection is Max ("up to 8mbps"), connects to the exchange at a bit over 7mbps and speedtest and otherb real world stuff usually show a bit more than 6mbp download, 600kbps upload.

Everyone I know says it's quick with my 4 kids online, which is probably a more important measure for home broadband than all the technical tests in the world:D

Rus
  • travel_freak
    travel_freak Posts: 879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

I have netmeter already installed on other PCs thanks to espresso's good advice.

Am just setting up another PC and went to download it again from espresso's link but this brings up a weird looking page talking about someone having hacked into the netmeter site.

Just wondering whether anyone had installed recently from this link and if all seems okay? Just a bit suspicious about the page I got up.

Many thanks.

Regards,
  • sophie131
    sophie131 Posts: 853 Forumite
    Options
    Orange just sent us a letter;
    'We need to let you know that the average usage on your broadband account across May and June was 55GB. This is in breach of our Fair use policy blah blah.....So we're just writing to let you know that at peak times, we may start reducing your usage by capping your connection speed'

But, i'm sure it's my brother that's causing the problem with his online gaming and downloads. So just so I can be sure before I point the finger, i've downloaded net meter!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure