PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cleaning Brass

Hope you peeps can help out here!

I'm painting my outside door and I have Brass fittings, handle, letterbox, bell and yale keylock. I'm assuming the bell is as old as the house, (1903) as that's on the wall, but the others are on the door which is more modern, (over 30 years old tho!). I've found various sites telling you how to clean them, including some on here from 2006! using ketchup or lemon and salt, brasso, microfibre cloths and plain hot soapy water but although I've done that, they don't seem to be right. I've checked with a magnet and they are brass.

The handle is coming up 2 tone and the letterbox isn't much different from what it was. I'll admit I don't keep up to the cleaning of these as much as I should, but I've had them shiny in the past, but that was some years ago now!

I'll try to post photo's to show you, but my skill in doing that is akin to cleaning brass!!

Comments

• How do you put photos onto posts?
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    As an ex military person I have had plenty of experience of cleaning brass.

Have used most cleaners but the best I have found so far is a paste called "MAAS". Cannot remember where it was bought but it is made in the U S A.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • JP08
    JP08 Posts: 851 Forumite
    I recently cleaned up a very tarnished (we're talking black) "Bunsen" lamp ... it had sat in my grandads garage for 20 year and then another 15 in his old toolbox in the damp of my dads garage. Metal polish wasn't making any inroads. Heck, wire wool wasn't making an impression.

Not sure if the recipe came from here, but it worked anyhow.

Simply it was flour and vinegar mixed up to a thick paste with a bit of salt in it. Apply to the object to be cleaned (nice thing is, being a thick paste, it doesn't run off and can be pushed into fiddly areas). Put in a plastic bag overnight - so in your case, you'd have to remove from the door ! Wash off in the morning and the tarnish is gone.

In the case of the lamp the result was initially very coppery looking, but a very quick buff with some bog standard polish brought back the brass. No genie appeared though ...
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It's possible that your more recent fittings are lacquered brass - the lacquer will have worn but not come off completely so your brass cleaning fluids etc aren't always reaching the brass. You'll need to get the lacquer off before you can polish.

"Unfortunately, after prolonged exposure to an exterior environment the lacquer will probably break down. If this happens the lacquer can be removed by using paint stripper solution, acetone or even nail varnish remover, only then will your brassware be suitable to clean with a metal polish. "

http://www.doorfurnituredirect.co.uk/faq-brass-door-furniture
  • Margaret52129
    Margaret52129 Posts: 262 Forumite
    ariba10 wrote: »
    As an ex military person I have had plenty of experience of cleaning brass.

Have used most cleaners but the best I have found so far is a paste called "MAAS". Cannot remember where it was bought but it is made in the U S A.

Thanks for this, I've managed to source it at Lakeland, £7.99 a 4 oz tube. Next time I'm near a store, I'll pop in to buy some.
  • Margaret52129
    JP08 wrote: »
    I recently cleaned up a very tarnished (we're talking black) "Bunsen" lamp ... it had sat in my grandads garage for 20 year and then another 15 in his old toolbox in the damp of my dads garage. Metal polish wasn't making any inroads. Heck, wire wool wasn't making an impression.

Simply it was flour and vinegar mixed up to a thick paste with a bit of salt in it. Apply to the object to be cleaned (nice thing is, being a thick paste, it doesn't run off and can be pushed into fiddly areas). Put in a plastic bag overnight - so in your case, you'd have to remove from the door ! Wash off in the morning and the tarnish is gone.

In the case of the lamp the result was initially very coppery looking, but a very quick buff with some bog standard polish brought back the brass. No genie appeared though ...

Unfortunately I can't undo the screws, wonder if I could cover it with cling film? I like the idea of a natural cleaner. Thanks for that.
  • Margaret52129
    JP08 wrote: »

Unfortunately I can't undo the screws, wonder if I could cover it with cling film? I like the idea of a natural cleaner. Thanks for that.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Get something rough - maybe a scourer intended for plastic baths. Years ago I had a brass badge to clean, used to do it by wiping it with brasso and then rubbing it hard on the front door mat.
  • charlies-aunt
    charlies-aunt Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    Do you live near any industry or near a busy road??

Our house opens directly onto the footpath and near steelworks and I think the combination of the exhaust fumes and the dust from the works really corrodes external metal fittings quickly....and the bodywork on cars :cool:

I have brass fittings on my front door but find it impossible to keep them bright and shiny - they seem to go dull overnight no matter what.

For me, the best way to keep them shiny as long is as possible is to clean them well and then spray them with clear lacquer (Wilko)
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family