Cost of calling 0844 numbers?

Comments

• warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Calling my local football club to buy tickets saw me on hold for 20 minutes. I wrongly assumed 0844 numbers were local rates. On my mobile they racked up 34p per minute.

Bl**dy rip off.
    Pants
  • I tried to us the 0870 website to phone Virgin and found a 0800 number, they had cut me off, only to be told "This call will be charged at normal rates" and I was charged to call a non-geographic number...so beware of phoning any of these companies.:eek:
  • The only problem with using http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php
    although I do highly commend it, is that it really is a 'workaround' and doesn't get the message back to the rip-off company.

For some time now, when presented with an 0870 or 0844 number, I respond curtly, "I'm sorry, go no further, I do not use companies using revenue generating numbers like these, I shall take my business elsewhere, goodbye"

NOW, if EVERYBODY in the whole of UK did that every time, we wouldn't need to wait for Ofcom to get off their lazy a-a-a . . .backsides.
    The bankers stole my pension (and everyone else's). It should have earned a lot of money, but they took their bonus pot first.
  • theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    analyst wrote: »
    The only problem with using http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php
    although I do highly commend it, is that it really is a 'workaround' and doesn't get the message back to the rip-off company. For some time now, when presented with an 0870 or 0844 number, I respond curtly, "I'm sorry, go no further, I do not use companies using revenue generating numbers like these, I shall take my business elsewhere, goodbye" NOW, if EVERYBODY in the whole of UK did that every time, we wouldn't need to wait for Ofcom to get off their lazy a-a-a . . .backsides.

I quite agree with your sentiments, however it is not always clear when ordering from or dealing with a company that you can only contact them by using an 0844 number, or by steam mail if you can find the address. There was a big campaign to stop the spread of 0870 numbers which Ofcom eventually paid heed to, but surprise, surprise, 0844 numbers have often replaced them and at a higher cost of calling them than the 0870 ones. Some unscrupulous companies have outdated 0870 or geographical numbers on their websites, but when you go to call them, gues what, they are now 0844 numbers. How can it be that it costs more to call an 0844 number than a mobile at times. It really bugs me and I ALWAYS tell the company concerned how much I despise these charges.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    edited 15 November 2010 at 3:32PM
    theloft wrote: »
    How can it be that it costs more to call an 0844 number than a mobile at times.
    I'm not sure you're right there (if you're referring to calling from a landline).

From a BT line, calling any 0844 number will not currently cost more than 10.9p connection + 5p/minute (the per minute cost, depending on the 5th, 6th and sometimes the 7th digit, can be ½p, 1p, 2p, 3p, 4p or 5p).

I cannot currently find a reliable carrier which will allow me to call a UK mobile from my landline for less than 6p/minute.

However, it is true that Virgin (and, I think, O2 as well), neither of which is subject to the same restrictions as BT, now apply outrageous charges for calling 0844 numbers (e.g. IIRC, Virgin charges 10.41p/minute for calling one of the 5p/minute 0844 numbers).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Heinz,
    I always defer and rely on your infinite knowledge of our telephone systems. But, using 18185, brings the cost of calling a mobile down, but you cannot use this method for calling 0844 numbers.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • wedwardes
    wedwardes Posts: 14 Forumite
    edited 28 November 2010 at 3:14PM
    Just looking at my Talk Talk telephone bill. I made two calls as a potential customer.

08444993900 SERVICES G6 RATE Duration 00:08:00 £0.51
    08444993900 SERVICES G6 RATE Duration 00:02:00 £0.21

I have a flat rate deal with TalkTalk so most calls are included.

If TapCentre dot com rip potential customers off imagine what they do to actual customers.

I normally use saynoto0870 dot com but was in a hurry to find a tap.

I have written to them "I suggest you delete the 0844 number from your site and include a Hertford number."

There should be a blacklist for firms using 0844 numbers.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    There's no alternative listed on saynoto0870.com anyway.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • i am with talk talk and get 0845 and 0870 numbers for free but have no idea how much these horrible
    0844 numbers cost with them.

does anyone have any idea?

thank goodness for say no to 0870 at least some of the calls are free with them

doctors surgeries using them is just disgusting.

never mind Martin starting a campaign I think we are all pretty empowered to each making our feelings known
  • nqsenile
    nqsenile Posts: 42 Forumite
    I've just tried to talk to my ISP, they list only a 0844 number. Checking BT site I see that for 0844 319 xxxx the charge is 11p per minute (or part thereof !) plus 10p set up charge. Having my phone with ISP I get free evening & weekend calls to geographic numbers + 0870 & 0845. But not to 0844. When I called my ISP the answer message was the usual "Due to exceptionally ... Waits in excess of 20 minutes at this time". Perhaps £2.41 before I can even start :-(

BT's Business Support site seemed to say (nod nod,wink, wink) that even though 0870 numbers are subject to Ofcom 0844 are not & are not likely to be for a long time. So when you advertise a 844 number you do not have to say in the advert how much the charge is.
    http://business.forums.bt.com/t5/Phones-phone-lines-and-phone/Question-about-0844-connection-charge/m-p/11610

Come on Martin here's another campaign to start.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure