Son/daughter going to uni in September 2012. What do we need to buy?

Comments

• teachergirl
    teachergirl Posts: 767 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Brilliant answers,thanks folks I am going to start making a list. I especially like the sweets for sharing idea. I will also be making him do the washing for the next 4 months,just for practice of course;) I have to admit he is already quite self sufficient though and quite a competent cook but it doesn't hurt to practice does it.
    Enough money to live on so retired early...planning to see where life takes me:D
  • kruzgal
    kruzgal Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you search 'What to take to university' on google there is a brilliant list from a well known student website. Obviously they won't need all of it but it does give some ideas. I copied and pasted it into a word document and then altered according to what I think he will need. I have started a box and every week in the supermarket I pick up something and add it to the collection. I am hoping it will help in the autumn to keep the costs down and there won't be so much to organise!
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Alcohol.
    Condoms.
    Pretty much it really.
  • mintymoneysaver
    mintymoneysaver Posts: 3,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Thanks for this. My eldest is hopefully off to Uni in the autumn so I shall pop in whenever I think of anything. I was planning on sending her with a selection of my home made cakes. I'm sure they'll go down well!
  • mumps
    mumps Posts: 6,285 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    I bought some bright towels for mine, they never got lost so I think that was useful. After the oven dish I bought got ruined I bought some foil containers from the 99p shop, they come in various sizes and you get 8 or 10 for the 99p. They can be washed and reused but cheap enough to throw out when they are a mess.

Mine both made a big pot of pasta when we left and invited other people to share a meal, some did and some didn't but it broke the ice. I also saved my Tesco vouchers and gave them Pizza Express vouchers for a treat, I think I gave them £50 quids worth and they went for a meal with a friend had enough for two pizzas and the friend bought the drinks. Was always good for cheering them up if they were a bit down or stressed and as terms are about ten weeks it means a treat every couple of weeks. I also put some of their favourite chocolate/biscuits/sweets and they were for emergencies, you know the sort of emergency when only a chocolate biscuit can help.

Oh a nice pillow is good, they were provided but not great. Cheap wine glasses are useful for some reason. I got mine in Wilkinsons and they were really cheap. Clothes airer was useful in one uni but not the other where they had drying cupboards. They also had a cheap printer which they found useful. Can't think of anything else right now but I will think about it and come back if anything else crops up.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • bouncydog1
    bouncydog1 Posts: 2,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Freezer bags as they may only have half a drawer and these are more flexible than tupperwears. Also teach him how to eat well but cheaply by taking advantage of the 3 for 2's. Shop online with UNi flat mates and sub divide multi packs to save money. Started a grocery pack for DD when she went last year - bought stuff when on offer or bogof and put the extras in her pack.

Sign him up for a boots card and tesco card for points. Get a co-op number. Definately provide earplugs - first few nights some of the freshers will celebrate being away from home very noisily. Get him 16-20 railcard but seek out a discount voucher before u buy.

I sometimes get DD a M&S gift card when shopping and send it off. She can then get treats or buy food. A dual pack of duvet covers and a couple of fitted sheets is good as the machines at UNi are often supersized so the children have to save up the washing as its around £2 to wash and same to dry. Also £1 coins for launderette. If u can, buy their phone outright because you can then get some really good deals on calls. DD gets unlimited free texts and 300 mins per month for £7.50 with orange. Blackberry handset was around £150 on amazon.
  • Sophie22
    Sophie22 Posts: 13 Forumite
    dont go over the top with utensils, you will often find stuff left behinds. so just go for basics and one of each.

definitely mini fridge
    fan
    duvet
    bedding
    make sure all documentation such as passport and ni card etc for enrolment
    towel
    cushions to make it homely
    desk light if have none
    first aid kit
    earphones in case other noise disturbs
    personal alarm
  • If there is a branch of Asda near where your son's going to uni, you can get a Student Shopper Card. Both your and your son will have a card and both cards are linked. You can top up your card with funds like an Oyster card either online or in an Asda near you, and your son will be able to use it to buy items in his local branch. https://cards.asda.com/pages/student_card_information
  • teachergirl
    teachergirl Posts: 767 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks everyone. My MIL has raided her cupboards and found a complete set of saucepans, small table(not sure what that is for) and a set of china. So all free and doesn't really matter if anything happens to them. The desk light is a good one. Also thanks for the tip about the ASDA card. It is the only shop we have in our small town so just need to find out if he will have one. I am looking into microwaveable stuff as I know he has a microwave.
    Not sure about a small telly. The rooms he is opting for does not have a communal area so he will have to get his own TV licence which will be quite a big chunk of his money. He is going to be a medic so his term will be longer than other peoples so it might be worth it.:)
    Enough money to live on so retired early...planning to see where life takes me:D
  • Derivative
    Derivative Posts: 1,698 Forumite
    A good suitcase or two if they will be travelling to/from University much.

I have to move everything out every couple of months via train, and quality suitcases can be fairly expensive - I dread to think what'd happen if one of my soft ones split while dragging it around a busy station.
    Said Aristippus, “If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.”
    Said Diogenes, “Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.”[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure