Share Dealing Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• prudryden
    prudryden Posts: 2,075 Forumite
    edited 12 March 2010 at 5:45PM
    Options
    Rank_90 wrote: »
    No one requires a signature on a conversation you had. Dont sign anything. Sounds well dodgy. Stay clear.

Quoted from original post : "I've not instructed them to invest for me, but have shown interest in future recommendations they might have." That is why they need to ask the questions.

The conversation would probably have been recorded in any case so no need for signature as you say.
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
  • prudryden
    Options
    xyy123 wrote: »
    It sounds a little odd to me.

If they're an execution-only broker which is how you have used them in the past then they wouldn't need to ask such questions since they don't give advice.

If they are an advisory firm and they have given you advice in the past on investments, it is likely they should already have conducted something like this. There are two forms of advisory relationships: advisory managed and advisory non-managed.

Advisory managed takes into account your wider circumstances and risk profile and recommends investments based on your wider portfolio.

Advisory non-managed gives advice on specific investments without doing this. For example, you ring up and say, "What do you think of HSBC shares?" and they say, "We think they're good/bad and recommend a buy/sell." They don't say something like, "We don't think they're right for you as, looking at your portfolio, you are currently overexposed to financials."

Maybe you have had advisory non-managed relationship in the past and they are now switching to advisory managed? I thought it might have been a market research call but not if they've asked you to sign it.

Same answer as above.

Quoted from original post : "I've not instructed them to invest for me, but have shown interest in future recommendations they might have." That is why they need to ask the questions. BTW It is now advisory dealing rather than advisory non-managed. Even under execution only, a broker has to be careful that the stock is suitable. If you let an elderly widow buy a highly speculative hedge fund, even if unsolicited - you can be sued for failure to refuse the order. There is a strong chance that the judge will side with the widow.
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
  • xyy123
    xyy123 Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    prudryden wrote: »
    Even under execution only, a broker has to be careful that the stock is suitable. If you let an elderly widow buy a highly speculative hedge fund, even if unsolicited - you can be sued for failure to refuse the order. There is a strong chance that the judge will side with the widow.
    Not in my experience. Every execution-only broker I know of has a Terms of Business and Risk Warning which clients have to sign to open an account. These say something to the effect of:

"We are an execution-only broker. We will not offer you investment advice or discuss the merits of any particular investment. The responsibility of each investment decision will be the client's and if there is any doubt to the suitability of any investment, the client should seek advice from a regulated person."

"By signing this, you agree that you have read and understood the risk warning pertaining to stocks and shares/hedge funds/CFDs etc."

If they have signed that they have read and understood such warnings, I would imagine it unlikely that such a complaint would be upheld by the company, court or Financial Ombudsman Service.
  • turbobob
    turbobob Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Options
    I have several execution only accounts. The only ones where suitability questions were asked was in relation to accounts where you deal in derivatives - CFD's, spreadbets, covered warrants etc. Just questions regarding investment experience and essentially whether you have the financial capability to bear any losses. Think its to do with MIFID regulations.
  • prudryden
    edited 12 March 2010 at 5:53PM
    Options
    xyy123 wrote: »
    Not in my experience. Every execution-only broker I know of has a Terms of Business and Risk Warning which clients have to sign to open an account. These say something to the effect of:

"We are an execution-only broker. We will not offer you investment advice or discuss the merits of any particular investment. The responsibility of each investment decision will be the client's and if there is any doubt to the suitability of any investment, the client should seek advice from a regulated person."

"By signing this, you agree that you have read and understood the risk warning pertaining to stocks and shares/hedge funds/CFDs etc."

If they have signed that they have read and understood such warnings, I would imagine it unlikely that such a complaint would be upheld by the company, court or Financial Ombudsman Service.

I think you would find that the T&C's mean nothing if you deal for someone who is senile and you haven't done your due diligence. However, I agree that under normal conditions suitability is not an issue. But in answering the original poster, he specifically stated that he had shown interest in recommendations. Thus, my statement about the need for suitability questions is a valid one.
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
  • sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    [B]Monday March 15[/B] 

INTERIMS 
    Netcall 

INTERIM DIVIDEND PAYMENT DATE 
    Impala Platinum 

QUARTERLY PAYMENT DATE 
    Canadian General Investments 

INTERNATIONAL ECONOMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS 
    Empire State Manufacturing Survey (US) (12:30) 
    Capacity Utilisation (US) (13:15) 
    Industrial Production (US) (13:15) 
    Employment (EU) (10:00) 
    Consumer Price Index(EU) (10:00) 
    Harmonised Index of Consumer Prices (EU) (10:00) 
    Consumer Confidence (JPN) 

UK ECONOMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS 
    Rightmove House Prices (00:01) 

Q4 
    First Quantum Minerals 

GMS 
    CareTech Holding, Infrastructure India 

FINALS 
    Atlas Estates, First Quantum Minerals, Kingdom Hotel Investments  GDS, Plantic Technologies, Telecom Egypt S.A.E GDS (Regs), TT  Electronics 

ANNUAL REPORT 
    Davis Service Group, India Capital Growth Fund Ltd., STV Group 

EGMS 
    Adili, Pearl Group, Warner Estate Holdings 

AGMS 
    Henderson Financial Opportunities Limited, Protonex Technology 

FINAL DIVIDEND PAYMENT DATE 
    AstraZeneca, Delta, Invesco Income Growth Trust, OMG 

[B]Tuesday March 16[/B] 

INTERIMS 
    Air Partner, Asian Citrus, Brooks Macdonald, Close Brothers Group 

BoJ Intrest Rates (JPN) (00:00) 
    Machine Tool Orders (JPN) 
    Tertiary Industry Index (JPN) 
    Building Permits (US) (13:30) 
    FOMC Interest Rate (US) (18:15) 
    Housing Starts (US) (13:30) 
    Import Price Index (US) (12:30) 
    RBA Interest Rate Minutes (AUS) (00:00) 
    ZEW Survey (GER) (10:00) 
    Consumer Price Index (FRA) (07:45) 
    Consumer Price Index (EU) (10:00) 

FINALS 
    Ablon, Alpha Bank GDR (Reg S) USD, Amphion Innovations, Axis-Shield,  Cello Group, Dealogic, Fairpoint Group, G4S, Hellenic [URL="http://www.digitallook.com/news/sharecast/news.cgi?view=full&story=3334701&username=sabrehbos&ac=210862#"]Carriers[/URL], KBC  Advanced Technologies, Kenmore European Industrial Fund, Wellstream  Holdings, Win, Work Group 

AGMS 
    All Leisure Group, BlackRock Commodities Income Inv Trust, THB  Group, Wynnstay Group 

Consumer Price Index (09:30) 
    DCLG House Price Index (09:30) 
    Retail Price Index (09:30) 

[B]Wednesday March 17[/B] 

INTERIMS 
    Ultimate Finance Group 

Stagecoach Theatre Arts 

INTERIM EX-DIVIDEND DATE 
    Abcam, Alternative Networks, Begbies Traynor Group, BrainJuicer  Group, Go-Ahead Group, Interior Services, Share Plc, St Ives, Tristel,  Welsh Industrial Inv Trust 

QUARTERLY PAYMENT DATE 
    Royal Dutch Shell 'A', Royal Dutch Shell 'B' 

QUARTERLY EX-DIVIDEND DATE 
    Alpha Pyrenees Trust Ltd., Queen's Walk Investment Ltd. 

Producer Price Index(US) (13:30) 

GMS 
    Hargreave Hale AIM VCT 1, The Directors Dealing Inv Trust 

FINALS 
    Cyprotex, Derwent London, Frutarom GDR (Reg S), Hikma  Pharmaceuticals, Mecom Group, MirLand Development Corporation, NEOVIA  Financial, Playtech, Sigma Capital, smartFOCUS, TEG Group, Xaar 

ANNUAL REPORT 
    International Personal Finance, Management Consulting Group, Taylor  Wimpey 

EGMS 
    Hargreave Hale AIM VCT 2, Maven Income and Growth VCT , Maven Income  and Growth VCT 2  

AGMS 
    Chemring Group, Domino Printing, Helius Energy 

BoE Interest Rate Minutes (09:30) 
    Claimant Count Rate (09:30) 
    Unemployment Rate (09:30) 

Producer Prices Index (US) (12:30) 
    Bank of Japan Target Rate (JPN) 

Income & Growth VCT, Income & Growth VCT 'S' Shares,  Unilever 

FINAL EX-DIVIDEND DATE 
    Alternative Networks, BlackRock World Mining Trust, Braime Ord,  Chemring Group, Computacenter, Dairy Farm International (Singapore),  Hansteen Holdings, Hongkong Land Holding Ltd. (Singapore), HSBC  Holdings, Jardine Matheson (Singapore), Jardine Strategic (Singapore),  JD Wetherspoon, Lancashire Holdings, Microgen, Shore Capital, Signet  Global Fixed Income Strategies GBP Shares, Standard Life, TF & JH  Braime, Thomas Cook Group, XP Power 

[B]Thursday March 18[/B] 

INTERIMS 
    Renewable Energy Generation 

QUARTERLY PAYMENT DATE 
    Orpak Systems 

Balance of Trade (EU) (10:00) 
    Consumer Price Index(US) (12:30) 
    Weekly Jobless Claims (US) (12:30) 
    Current Account Balance (US) (12:30) 
    Leading Indicators (US) (14:00) 
    Philadelphia Fed Index (US) (14:00) 
    Current Account (EU) (09:00) 
    Bank of Japan Monthly Report (JPN) 

Q4 
    Premier Farnell 

GMS 
    Dunelm Group 

FINALS 
    Aegis Group, Biocompatibles International, Collins Stewart, European  Goldfields Limited, Greggs, Mount Engineering, National Bank of Greece  ADR, Powerflute Oyj, Premier Farnell, ProStrakan, Salamander Energy, SIG 

ANNUAL REPORT 
    Aggreko, JPMorgan American Inv Trust 

EGMS 
    Rutley European Property Ltd. 

AGMS 
    Brunner Inv Trust, CQS Rig Finance Fund Ltd., Future, Henderson  Opportunities Trust, Nexus Management, Sarantel Group 'A' 

M4 Money Supply (estimate) (09:30) 
    M4 Sterling Lending (estimate) (09:30) 
    Major Banks Mortgage Approvals (09:30) 

Driver Group, Randgold Resources, Sinclair (William) Holdings 

[B]Friday March 19[/B] 

Ashley House, Eaga, Falkland Islands Holdings, Links of London,  Quadnetics Group, Standard Life UK Smaller Companies Trust 

QUARTERLY PAYMENT DATE 
    M&G Equity Inv Trust Income Shares 

All Industry Activity Index (JPN) (23:50) 
    Producer Price Index (GER) (07:00) 
    ZEW Survey (EU) (10:00) 
    Wages (FRA) (07:45) 

FINALS 
    Headlam Group 

ANNUAL REPORT 
    Johnson Service Group, Property Recycling Group 

AGMS 
    Independent Inv Trust, LG Chem GDS (Reg S), LG Electronics GDS (Reg  S), Samsung C&T Corp. GDR, Samsung Electronics GDR (Reg S) 

Barclays, Dimension Data Holdings, M Winkworth, Midas Income &  Growth Trust, Patsystems, Pennant International, THB Group, UBC Media  Group

• Just_landed
    Just_landed Posts: 608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can people give me their views on this :- I sell shares in xy and slip into Capital gains (nice one) If I bought the same shares and amount back within 30 days it counteracts the capital gain back below £10100 for 09/10, can I then sell them again within 30 days say April 20th 2010, will this move the gain to 10/11 :think: Also can I keep buying and selling every say 25 days :question: your views appreciated. I know there are dealing costs involved or can you only get away with this once ?
  • turbobob
    turbobob Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    edited 14 March 2010 at 10:04PM
    Options
    Can people give me their views on this :- I sell shares in xy and slip into Capital gains (nice one) If I bought the same shares and amount back within 30 days it counteracts the capital gain back below £10100 for 09/10, can I then sell them again within 30 days say April 20th 2010, will this move the gain to 10/11 :think: Also can I keep buying and selling every say 25 days :question: your views appreciated. I know there are dealing costs involved or can you only get away with this once ?

What is your aim of doing this? I don't really follow how this would benefit you. My understanding is that the 30 day rule means that when you eventually dispose of the shares the gain will be calculated on when you originally bought them, not the last time you sold and re-bought them. If you don't want to realise a gain in the current tax year then simply not selling would achieve this.
  • Rank_90
    Rank_90 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    1st question I would ask is: Do you want to sell them or hang on to them. Look in to the entrepreneur allowance. It means you can use the money to buy more shares without getting taxed. I've done it and had it checked out by a Financial Advisior and its ok to do.

So you can hold on to them or buy more. Never heard about the 30 day limit.

Hope that helps.
  • Just_landed
    Just_landed Posts: 608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for your thoughts I will tell a bit more, I sold some shares hoping to buy back in cheaper but true to form they just keep going up. I have ended up with more than £10100 CG so I was hoping to drag that part of the profit into 2010/2011 tax year. so by reducing CG back below £10100. :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback