Bullying/mob mentality/cliques

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Azari wrote: »
    I see that sense of humour bypass has taken nicely. ;)

And now the insults........
  • Elvisia
    Elvisia Posts: 914 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes. I have had comments including saying I was stupid and someone else saying I wasn't qualified to do my job which was just bizarre as the post was about something else. Even though I know it's a public forum it can make you feel rubbish for the rest of the day, people should think before they post and realise it can make other people feel terrible. It also shows me how either rude or thick some people are and you start to lose faith in humanity!
  • Fortunately the good far outweigh the bad and there is a handy ignore function if certain individuals do annoy you.

Don't take it personally, it cannot truly be personal though because it's just the internet and they cannot really know you.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • qetu1357
    qetu1357 Posts: 1,013 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Azari wrote: »
    This is something I have been complaining about for a while now.

There is a coterie of individuals, probably rather sad and inadequate, who just love to pounce on posts and make pompous, belittling, and condescending statements and observations.

These people (apparently) always read every line of all the small print and never, ever, miss anything or make mistakes. Thus they are able to treat anyone who does not meet their level of perfection as being something of an idiot.

Unfortunately they are not actually breaking the letter of the forum's terms even though they are not acting in the general spirit of the site.

It would be better if more people were to take issue with these bullies because when there are only a few who do they assume everyone else agrees with them.

Incredible.

You really aren't very self aware are you!
  • kermitfrog
    kermitfrog Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    qetu1357 wrote: »
    Incredible.

You really aren't very self aware are you!

Can anyone who is really self aware treat Internet forums as if they were real life?
  • You've raised some good points, unfortunately it will make little difference, this site will still have it's fair share of numpties - usually diving about 'thanking' each other for being equally stupid.

Some just seem overly prone to a version of 'Tourettes of the fingers'......involuntarily typing rudeness, inappropriate and/or unecessary comments! I often wonder why they don't just 'jog on' past threads/posts they don't like/disagree with/appeared before/spelling or grammatical errors - must lead sad, bored lives I imagine.

Best completely ignored, & certainly not worth trying to defend yourself against.
  • this site will still have it's fair share of numpties - usually diving about 'thanking' each other for being equally stupid.

...............but of course you are not one ?..................

JOKE !!!

The point I am trying to make is that it is very difficult to express slight sarcasm/humour/wit/a friendly dig when typing on a keyboard, so it is easy to be misunderstood.
    My "JOKE !!!" somewhat destroys any humour/wit that may have actually been there in my first comment in the first place.

Perhaps some more emoticons might help ? Especially one that means: "That question has been asked a zillion times before - why don't you search the site or Google it?"

........and of course - the person typing the latest response to a thread is ALWAYS right - until the next post..........:p
  • DannyBo
    DannyBo Posts: 5,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Great posts ! I've decided to come out of my shell and post all over the place :) (although not in a spam way)

Cheers x
    Turn your car around.
  • DannyBo
    DannyBo Posts: 5,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    However funny or sarcastic you may think your comment is - the one on the receiving end could take it to heart and....

Not everyone shares your sense of humour and not everyone is as thick-skinned

What others perceive to be a witty comment could be enough to tip another human over the edge.

Please remember that whilst posting and scoring points

:(
    Turn your car around.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    DannyBo wrote: »
    However funny or sarcastic you may think your comment is - the one on the receiving end could take it to heart and....

Not everyone shares your sense of humour and not everyone is as thick-skinned

What others perceive to be a witty comment could be enough to tip another human over the edge.

Please remember that whilst posting and scoring points

:(

I'm uncomfortable with you using the tragic suicide of the nurse at the centre of the hoax in this manner.

I believe it's in bad taste and you should be ashamed of yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure