Npower or edf...

hezza86
hezza86 Posts: 175 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Which of these 2 companies is the lesser of 2 evils.
Im currently with scottish power and looking to move due to price hikes, iv been on comparison sites and cheapest is npower go-fix 6 tariff with edf fixed saver v2 following behind theres estimated £38 difference between the 2. however saving me over £150 a year compared to scottish power.
i take it aswell that these prices that the comparison sites show includes the standing charge (something i dont fully understand)

iv always been either scottish power or british gas and this is the first time im switching. (needing to try save some cash in current climate)

and thought id seek the expertise of people on here.

Comments

• mad_rich
    mad_rich Posts: 868 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have to say that customer service is something I rarely consider with an energy company.

Mostly I just pay my money and keep quiet. In fact I don't think I've ever spoken to my current gas supplier on the phone, or by email. If your annual usage is correct and your direct debit is set up correctly, there's no need.

In answer to your other question - yes, the comparison sites include the standing charge, if there is one.
  • backfoot
    backfoot Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Based on my own experience I would award NPower 0/10 and EDF 2/10.

The 2 relates to the manner in which EDF have subsequently tried to rectify the many problems with their OS7 product.

In all the years since competition began, the only one I didn't have problems with were Atlantic.

As the other respondent says,you shouldn't really have to anything,but the reality for me has been totally different.
  • undaunted
    undaunted Posts: 1,870 Forumite
    There is no worse customer service than Npower in the industry - even Ofgem have criticised them in the past.

They are also the company that was found to have "gas scupted" customers, eventually being forced to return £70 million to avoid Consumer Focus taking them to court. Is that really the kind of company you'd want to deal with?
    2010 Posts: 5,351 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    hezza86 wrote: »
    Im currently with scottish power and looking to move due to price hikes

Which tariff are you on with SP and why do you want an over priced fixed tariff?
  • hezza86
    im on Online Standard (No Standing Charge)
    and though it would be better to change to a fixed tarriff with the way prices are going.
    our usage (yearly) is approx electric - 3505kWh and gas - 7189kWh

from the comparison sites edf does get the slightly better customer service scores.
    2010 Posts: 5,351 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    im on Online Standard (No Standing Charge)
    and though it would be better to change to a fixed tarriff with the way prices are going.
    our usage (yearly) is approx electric - 3505kWh and gas - 7189kWh

from the comparison sites edf does get the slightly better customer service scores.

Well I`m on OES12 and they have whacked that tariff up 38%.
    I put my yearly usage into energyhelpline and it came up with SP OES14 followed by their new Direct Oct 2012 tariff.

All the fixed/capped tariffs come well down the list, so I`m going with one of the top two.
    This depends on which one they`ll let me switch to.

So even after their rip-off price rise, SP is still the cheapest for me.
  • hezza86
    when i do comparisons of all SP are not even near the top of the list for me. it comes up go fix 6 as the best savings and thats with a search on all tarriffs.
    then its british gas websaver v12 and edf online saver v12 and a couple of e-on online tarrifs.

scottish power arent even listed
  • george1939
    george1939 Posts: 135 Forumite
    Which of these 2 companies is the lesser of 2 evils.
    Im currently with scottish power and looking to move due to price hikes, iv been on comparison sites and cheapest is npower go-fix 6 tariff with edf fixed saver v2 following behind theres estimated £38 difference between the 2. however saving me over £150 a year compared to scottish power.
    i take it aswell that these prices that the comparison sites show includes the standing charge (something i dont fully understand)

iv always been either scottish power or british gas and this is the first time im switching. (needing to try save some cash in current climate)

and thought id seek the expertise of people on here.

Remember after receiving 12 direct debits from [you] Npower give you [£105 cash back no catch] So on cost they lead Npower have always [so far answered the telephone in less than 1 to 2 minutes] with a cheerful friendly voices from 3 reprsentatives and one time an E mail sent to me whils't talking to one of them I read it whils't still talking to that person [ perhaps times are now changing] OVO and Atlantic I found friendly too when I was with them [changed due to costings]. and soon answered the phone, could it depend on the time of day?
  • You sure about that George. I read it as the £105 was discounted from your monthly DD.
  • george1939
    george1939 Posts: 135 Forumite
    You sure about that George. I read it as the £105 was discounted from your monthly DD.

Not so ring Npower Cheers Like Atlantic who give one twelth back into your bank account on month 13
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure