How do I get a PO Box address?

Comments

• If your running a business you need a proper address not a PO box unless you are hiding something. It is not a matter of security, if someone wants to fiund you they will fiund you wherever your business might be . . .
  • triganfan
    triganfan Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 17 November 2009 at 5:19PM
    May I ask the question; do any talented moneysavingexperts out there have any tips on how best to set up a delivery address of some kind that people can use to send items to me but does not reveal my "real" address?

Having read this thread I see that a PO Box does not provide any sort of real privacy as it seems the royal mail must reveal the real address of a PO box number if asked - so its not the answer.

[edit/update; this is spooky - I found this thread via google, saw it was from 2006 and decided to post my question here not knowing anyone was updating this thread as recently as this month, let alone today - spooky that it has laid dormant almost all this time and now fellow MSE's are posting to it - what a great thing MSE forum is! On a serious point I genuinely am wanting to find out the answer to keeping address private etc as my question sets out above so any ideas are most welcome from fellow MSE forum members. Many thanks, Trig]
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    bikerchris wrote: »
    Hi all,

This is handy as I was just about to start up a 'mini' company, what do you think of this?:

I've just created a website that advertises my technical drawing services (New Build, Extensions, etc.) as well as surveying (building and site). I've nearly got the website completed and although I have a contact form, I would like to put a postal address on there too. Because I have no more equipment in my flat than an average home user would (in fact less as I don't have a TV!), I don't think there are security issues.

I also do computer assistance for a small group of customers, I'm doing a website for that too. I don't have 'that' much stock, just cables and really old PC testing towers really.

I just wonder what would look suitable for me (i.e. real address, post office, MBE, etc.), when you consider I go out and do my job, return home to do a bit more and then post it to the client/local authority THEN I get paid? So far as the computer side, I go out and do the job BEFORE i get paid.

All thoughts welcome on either.

I really like Astaroth's idea of say "Unit 1" instead of "Flat 1", although I'm not sure anyone would believe that I did my drawing work in a warehouse!

Cheers,
    Chris

Just use your real address.

The only thing you should check is the clauses in your flat's lease. Some of the say specifically you can't run a business in the premises while others just say you can't cause a nuisance. With the latter you can run a business as long as no one visits you at home as then you will be causing a nuisance.

With regards to the computer towers and cables if they are not stock but used as the tools of your trade then you shouldn't have a problem with them for insurance purposes if all your business contents comes under £5,000. Some home insurance contents policies will insure your business contents if they come under this amount.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,938
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    triganfan wrote: »
    May I ask the question; do any talented moneysavingexperts out there have any tips on how best to set up a delivery address of some kind that people can use to send items to me but does not reveal my "real" address?

Having read this thread I see that a PO Box does not provide any sort of real privacy as it seems the royal mail must reveal the real address of a PO box number if asked - so its not the answer.
    You could try something like Mailboxes, there's a company near us which offers something similar to Royal Mail's PO Box. May have been mentioned earlier in the thread. Disadvantages: only open weekdays office hours AFAIK, and they don't deliver. No idea what their privacy policy is or what the postal address looks like.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    we have a few people in my office who run businesses via po box
    one is a DJ (seemingly quite well known but im past that!) who uses it as collection as he is never home for all the items he gets delivered
    so he would be coming up and collecting items anyway
  • If you want a real address, which is not your own physical address, then ask your solicitor / accountant. I used to use a PO Box for my mail, but gave my solicitor's address for legal requirements. They obviously took a stipend, but this worked for me as I could not operate a business from home according to my appartment lease.
  • triganfan wrote: »

[edit/update; this is spooky - I found this thread via google, saw it was from 2006 and decided to post my question here not knowing anyone was updating this thread as recently as this month, let alone today - spooky that it has laid dormant almost all this time and now fellow MSE's are posting to it - what a great thing MSE forum is! On a serious point I genuinely am wanting to find out the answer to keeping address private etc as my question sets out above so any ideas are most welcome from fellow MSE forum members. Many thanks, Trig]

Yes. However, I believe there is some legislation which requires mail box companies to have sight of your ID and perhaps real address, maybe to check you out, before they will sign the contract to give you a mail box.

That is the theory, the reality is somewhat different. there are quite a few in London who will set things up on the fly, without you ever having to go near the place or tell them who you are. Of course you have to pay for it but you could get a prepaid card in any old name and use that.

Also, my experience at places like Mailbox is that they are often run by people who have a financial stake in the business and they are more worried about income than paperwork. You might have to try a few or you might get lucky first time. Some story about a vicious ex wife's boyfriend and hot wanting him to know anything blah blah etc. or whatever. Another ruse is to get someone else to open one which you use and then you pick your mail up. You could do that with a PO Box account I suppose which was not technically yours. Look in the Evening Stardard, presumably in the Manchester Evening News and other city equivalents. Lots of stuff online but online many have to put out the formal stuff required. Not in practice.
  • ukbill69
    ukbill69 Posts: 2,789
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Right if someone was hiding something then a po box is not one to do this. Ive known of very professional scammers that use virtual addresses in cities to look like a company and there not, as its easy as go on a website, pay via a pre paid credit card and setup a fake company within 1 day or less. A po box is hard to get as it links to an address you own or rent as they have to verify your address and that you love or work there.
    Kind Regards
    Bill
  • Hi,

I can't see this mentioned as a suggestion as yet ....

There are many Companies now that operate "Enterprise" or Small Business Centre's.

Whilst all of them "let" offices of various sizes, some of them will also let "pigeon holes" (for want of a better term). You only pay for the mail sorting & pigeon hole - but of course you then also have access to their other facilities (at pay as you go rates) ie meeting rooms, copiers etc.

Some of them will also hire you a landline number and take calls for you.

G:A
    ~ On the Road to Making Dreams Happen ~
    January £10 a Day Challenge £ 0.00 / £750 - (Running Total £1,512.11)
    52 Week Challenge £ 0.00 / £1,378

Debt Owed £23,200 / £19,251 - Mtge Owed Bal £140,000 / £130,940 - Total Debt Balance Owed : £163,200 / £150,191
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure