Giraffe Restaurant Service Charge

Options

Comments

• kwmlondon
    kwmlondon Posts: 1,734 Forumite
    edited 15 August 2014 at 9:49AM
    Options
    Why?

When you go in a restaurant and order a meal and wine, you're paying not only for the food, but for someone to serve it to you and the atmosphere, service is part of that.

Yes reward someone for being good/kind/going above and beyond by all means, but for a restaurant to charge a % of your bill as service I find is completely wrong.
    I don't pay a tip when I collect my own food e.g. self-service restaurant, take-out etc. When I get service I pay for the service. I just see it as part of the transaction and am very happy to pay it. I will only withhold it on the extremely rare occasions when I've had poor service and to me its a last resort. And I find it's a good way to work out if I'm going to get on with someone. If I got to a restaurant with a friend and they are rude to the staff I will end my friendship with them then and there. I'm not saying these are bad people, but we are not going to get on, and if someone doesn't tip then I know we're not going to be getting along. Again - the world is big enough to contain many different types of people, but I've found that restaurants really help me suss out people I will not bump along with and saves us a lot of wasted time.
  • Skinto_7
    Skinto_7 Posts: 264 Forumite
    Options
    kwmlondon,

I cant believe anyone would end a friendship beacuse they have different views on tipping in a restuarant, seems a strange way to judge a mate if you ask me. But you are of course entilted to that opinion.

Anyways i generally tip 10% in restaurants, although the more i think about or perhaps older i get, i do think it strange that you almost feel obliged to it, when no one tips me for doing a good days work in my job, as someone pointed out above, the cost of the service is generally within the price of the food so you are technically paying twice!

In respect of the origonally question as long as the service wasnt bad i would just pay the 10% service charge that was added as i would have left that anyway, however you dont agree with tipping i would just ask for it to be removed!!
  • paulharding150
    paulharding150 Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 August 2014 at 10:40AM
    Options
    kwmlondon wrote: »
    I don't pay a tip when I collect my own food e.g. self-service restaurant, take-out etc. When I get service I pay for the service. I just see it as part of the transaction and am very happy to pay it.

When I phone and collect an Indian takeaway I pay less than I do if I go and sit down in an Indian resturant. That's because I'm paying extra for the service and use of the resturant.

I am more than happy to leave a tip (as I said I did 2 days ago) but only when it is deserved it should not be the norm/expected.

Obviously you're entitled to you oponion and I respectfully disagree with you.

The campaign against overpowering signatures
  • Skinto_7
    Skinto_7 Posts: 264 Forumite
    Options
    PS what % do people normally tip, im generally 10% is this the norm? higher? lower?
  • kwmlondon
    kwmlondon Posts: 1,734 Forumite
    Options
    Skinto_7 wrote: »
    kwmlondon,

I cant believe anyone would end a friendship beacuse they have different views on tipping in a restuarant, seems a strange way to judge a mate if you ask me. But you are of course entilted to that opinion.

I'm not saying I'd be friends with someone because they DO tip! However, all the people I've ever known to refuse to pay the service charge on principle have been people I don't get on with. Not bad people at all, just with a different point of view to me and it's a real litmus test. This isn't something I've just sat down and arbitrarily decided. It' just experience.
  • chancesare_2
    chancesare_2 Posts: 1,788 Forumite
    edited 16 August 2014 at 7:22PM
    Options
    Ianwzzz wrote: »
    I visited a Giraffe Restaurant for lunch with my family and was shocked when a 10% service charge was added onto the bill. I always tip good service but being told to pay 10% is not right.

I complained after we had left and their customer service told me I could have asked the waitress to remove it, and she would have discreetly called the manager over to take it off.

They said it is clearly printed on the menu that there is a service charge,none of my family noticed it at the time.

I have looked on Tripadvisor and a lot of people complain about the service charge.

Do you guys think it's right to have a service charge?

Whether it is right or wrong is a different debate entirely.

Every Giraffe Restaurant has their tipping policy on their menu (outside before you even set foot inside) and clearly on their website: http://www.giraffe.net/tipping and it is quite simply shown as they DO include or they DON'T. Not difficult to understand.

So, you decide if you want to eat there or not.

Just because you and your party failed to notice and then interpreted that as being 'told to pay' suggests you should be more vigilant in future if it offends you, or, you may prefer to eat in. You weren't forced to eat there.
  • adonis
    adonis Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I just looked at their menu, £9.95 for a burger and they add 10% on top they are having a giraffe :eek:
  • Ianwzzz
    Ianwzzz Posts: 246 Forumite
    Options
    chancesare wrote: »
    Whether it is right or wrong is a different debate entirely.

Every Giraffe Restaurant has their tipping policy on their menu (outside before you even set foot inside) and clearly on their website: http://www.giraffe.net/tipping and it is quite simply shown as they DO include or they DON'T. Not difficult to understand.

So, you decide if you want to eat there or not.

Just because you and your party failed to notice and then interpreted that as being 'told to pay' suggests you should be more vigilant in future if it offends you, or, you may prefer to eat in. You weren't forced to eat there.

I don't normally look at websites before I go into a restaurant, I don't even look at the menu outside. I go in and sit down first.

As stated in the original post none of our party noticed it printed on the menu so it was not that clear but then I don't read a menu completely, I just choose what I want to eat and order it.

I posted this post to get other members views as it is very unusual to have a service charge added these days especially at lunch time.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,521 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    What do you expect of Tesco? I'm amazed they don't add 10% to the shopping bill for the till operator in supermarkets (where they still have them)
  • wiogs
    wiogs Posts: 2,744 Forumite
    Options
    "I posted this post to get other members views as it is very unusual to have a service charge added these days especially at lunch time."

What makes you think it is unusual?

I recall reading a thread on tripadvisor stating how much more common it is but perhaps that was in a certain part of the country.

I just ask for service charges to be removed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure