Vax Air Pet U87-MA-Pe plug issue

Hello

Wanted to see if anyone has had the same issue that happened to me this morning.

Purchased the above vacuum from Amazon on 9/5/16.

Used it the other day and it didn't seem to be working. Checked with better half who advised you need to sometimes wiggle the wire near the plug to get it to work.

I wasn't happy with this for a 2 month old vacuum so got in touch with Vax customer service on their website.

Had an unproductive chat with someone who dismissed my concerns and said all that was needed was a clean of the filters and it would be fine.

Again checked with better half who confirmed she had cleaned the filters a couple of weeks ago.

Went to use the vacuum again today and only got it to work again after wiggling the wire.

Was vacuuming away when suddenly there was a loud bang and quite a lot of smoke came out of the plug / plug socket and caused the switch to trip. Can still smell the smoke in the room a couple of hours later as well

I've emailed Vax and await their reply but I wanted to see if this was a common issue with Vax vacuums and if any other users of the forum had had this issue?

Many thanks, Simon

Comments

• Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    I read this post as I have a similar model a couple of years old.

Just sounds like a loose connection in the plug wiring. Personally I wouldn't have continued to use it, as needing to wiggle it to make it work is an obvious sign of impending short circuit.

Return it and ask for a replacement.
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I agree totally with Hoploz.

You had an electrical appliance and you were fully aware of the fact that there was something wrong with the wiring or the plug yet you were happy to continue using it buy "wiggling the wire".

Sorry to be so blunt but IMO, this is stupidity of the highest degree.
  • 27cool
    27cool Posts: 267 Forumite
    Why on earth would you not just cut 150mm off the mains lead and put on a new plug.
    All appliance mains leads can be susceptible to this type of fault.
    A shortened lead and a new plug is the answer. You cannot usually reuse the old plug top as it is likely to have been moulded onto the cable.
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    I would do that if a fault developed on an old appliance, but on a new one I'd expect to have one without a fault delivered!
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hoploz wrote: »
    I would do that if a fault developed on an old appliance, but on a new one I'd expect to have one without a fault delivered!

However good the quality control in the manufacturing facility might be, unless consumers are willing to pay for each item to be inspected in every possible way, there will always be an occasional item that gets sold with defects.
    That's one of the problems with mass produced goods that in real terms are probably far cheaper now then they have ever been.

Saying that, it's also possible that it was fine when delivered and the fault became apparent at a later date.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Attempt to get a replacement or change the plug? I suppose it all depends on how soon you want to use it again.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure