keeping tropical and cold water fish.

Options

Comments

• atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    update: tank is all set up and fish introduced, have taken pics so watch this space as the stand is 95% complete 5% being the door fronts. i started a fishless cycle a few days ago with ammonia i got from tesco. when i introduced the ammonia in the late AM i took water test and ammonia was at 2.0, in the mid PM same day the ammonia level was at 0.1 suprisingly. next day re intorduce some more ammonia and tested and was at 1.0 tested hour later and was at 0.0. ive used both the tetratech IN1000 120-200l intank filter and the fluval 4+ intank filter in the tank.
    nitrites were fine nitrates were fine ammonia fine as both filters are establish and i didnt clean them out to intrduce into new tank this may have helped. i will take regular samples every two days to monitor closely all levels in tank.

watch this space though pics coming soon just cant get the damn phone to connect to pc properly to save them on computer will be sorted by tommorrow.
  • chr1s23
    chr1s23 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Froglet wrote: »
    I just don't feel it is fair to have marine fish in a tank,they should be in the wild(mind you i feel like that about a lot of tropicals too,now.)

Yes it can be expensive and harder to get right so the fish and corals don't suffer.But i am sure with the right research,know how and equipment you would be ok.

The most essential piece for kit for marines, is a reverse osmosis unit. Bit on the expensive side, but you will recoup the money many times over by not having to replace the fish that are killed by tap water - no matter what you do to it before adding it to the tank.:T
  • gizmodo_2
    gizmodo_2 Posts: 1,859 Forumite
    Options
    Jellicat wrote: »
    Does anyone have marines? Toying with the idea of setting up a marine tank with some of the hardier fishes, but it all looks so complex in comparison to freshwater. I think its just keeping the salinity level stable that's freaking me out. Not to mention the cost of the equipment and live rock :eek:.
    No, but I plan to one day and I did a lot of research into it.

Basically for a newbie - the bigger the better. The bigger the tank - more margin of error for things like salinity levels. I worked out it would cost me £2 - 3k to set up the tank I want. It's not cheap. Again I'd point you to fishforums.net - there's just so much information and so many people willing to help. I asked a lot of questions on there when I was thinking of going marine.
    Baby Giz born 6/2/11
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    ok so as i cant get photo's up of setup i been researching.

keeping an aquarim is difficult and so is water conditions pollutants toxins etc can kill fish causing you frustration and endless money being spent on fish.

for those who are having problems with water i.e ammonia levels, nitrite,nitrates. use one of these, especially of you have saltwater we all know how costly it is to have marine and water condition must be kept ontop of!

http://www.completeaquatics.co.uk/store/product/668/Underworld-Polyfilter-Standard-Size/

its called a polyfilter it help get rid of pollutants and toxins and even copper out of marine water, it may cost £10-12 but whats 10 12 quid when a marine fish like a porcupine puffer can cost you £150? it works with your existing filter to take the strain of filtering while your filter esablishes a good bacteria build up.

and heres a tip large pollyfilters last about 6 months BUT if you cut it in half and store as recomanded it can last you 12months! just remove the half you put in with the fresh half and off you go for another 6 months. these filters are great they DO work and are a must if you are starting out of doing a hefty water and filter clean out or toxin problems in your water and dont want to lose your fishies
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    update. fish tank is comeing nicely and water tests are normal. i bought a siemese fighter 2 weeks ago but it just wouldt settle in my tank and couldnt take to place i bought it as they had no spare room for it i.e empty tank. so took to my local pet at home, who dont normally stock that typer of fighter,7012.jpg kinda like this little fella but his display was mush better and tail was more torn looking rather than complete. main reason for taking him out of tank was he was constantly displaying aggression gills puffed out quivering tail and chasing other fish, normally their fine with fish that arent brightly coloured but this guy didnt like anything. not even my pleco save the poor guy any more stress i took him out.

their temperment is that they are quite lazy fish and will lie down on rock in plants and pots, they will also take food out of your fingers, and dance between fingers when they establish an owner, they wont do it to just anyone but their owner, other fighter veriations are out there. some are quite large and verry pretty but head caution with them. they can kill other fish in a tank if the dislike them that much!
  • hitchins
    hitchins Posts: 687 Forumite
    Options
    Excellent thread! :T

Just bought a Juwel Trigon 380 (bargain on e-bay). Not set up yet, waiting to decorate room, but can't wait to get cracking. Love keeping fish, they're so relaxing.

We were toying with the idea of marine, but I read about the set up and got a major headache! :( So sticking with tropical.
    :heart2:Baby boy due 4th March 2011:heart2:
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    with marine you have to be more carefull than tropical, that tank is a good space saver and adds charector to a room depending on how you decorate the inside, with marine its all about getting water conditions right good salt levels mainly, choosing the correct filter per size of tank, use of live rock anemone's live organisms etc. allthough having just live rock is good enough. if you were going to go with marine seek out your local aquarium stockist that sells marine for advice, some fellows from these places will help you set it up at home, etc. in a year or two i may opt for marine fish.
    dont forget you can try other sites for friendly advice like www.fishforums.net who advise, help,and clarify everything and everytopic has been covered, i think it would be best to look up marine setups based on or around YOUR tank i.e how big how many gallons it holds, that way you can cut through a hefty research on marine tank setups as many tank setups are different according to tank size and shape.
  • hitchins
    Options
    Tank all set up, loads of plants and bogwood, left it for awhile and just added 5 Danios to help with cycling! Can't wait to add more fish, also want some shrimps.

Joined fishforums Atrix, great site! :)
  • Lirin
    Lirin Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Options
    Have a 4ftx2ftx4ft for tropical, with two external Eheim filters. Just recently cleaned it- replaced the gravel as we had a big snail problem. 30kg's of gravel in the bottom, and it is very deceiving- had we not put it in ourselves, I'd never believe it was that much. Big blocks of sandstone (algae don't seem to be as big a problem on it as other types we've tried.)
    Has a few guppies, opaline gourami's, silver mollies, black mollies, neon's and cardinals in it.

2ftx2ftx2ft- holds goldfish. Unsure of varieties, but quite a few different shades/ colours. Harder to keep than the tropical tank./
  • hitchins
    Options
    Lirin wrote: »
    Have a 4ftx2ftx4ft for tropical, with two external Eheim filters. Just recently cleaned it- replaced the gravel as we had a big snail problem. 30kg's of gravel in the bottom, and it is very deceiving- had we not put it in ourselves, I'd never believe it was that much. Big blocks of sandstone (algae don't seem to be as big a problem on it as other types we've tried.)
    Has a few guppies, opaline gourami's, silver mollies, black mollies, neon's and cardinals in it.

2ftx2ftx2ft- holds goldfish. Unsure of varieties, but quite a few different shades/ colours. Harder to keep than the tropical tank./

Surprised the Gourami's didn't polish off the snails. I intend to enlist a "clean up crew" in mine, when I add more stock. Cychlids are good too at getting the snails, but then again if you're aiming for a community tank, probably not the best idea.

Lets hope they stay away now! :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family