Dismissed - what next

Options

Comments

• Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    In my team of 7, 2 have flexible working arrangements (reflected in their pay and other terms) and if anyone else asked for the same arrangements I would need to say no because I wouldn't be able to accommodate this and meet business needs. Sometimes these things are first come first served I'm afraid and just because one person has been accommodated doesn't mean you are setting a precedent and the whole team can do the same.
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Katlou wrote: »
    I am happy to move on. My question is whether I will be entitled to JSA.

I'd stick with this, I can't see them employing you again, and again, why would you want to?
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Personally I find it very worrying that its standard practice now for employers to count sickness as a disciplinary. My sister's work does it, amazon does it, your employer did it. One of my old employers did it. I can understand if someone takes several days off without medical evidence in a short period of time, but 3 times in six months all covered by a sicknote in my view should not have disciplinary procedures.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    Personally I find it very worrying that its standard practice now for employers to count sickness as a disciplinary. My sister's work does it, amazon does it, your employer did it. One of my old employers did it. I can understand if someone takes several days off without medical evidence in a short period of time, but 3 times in six months all covered by a sicknote in my view should not have disciplinary procedures.

3 times in six months, covered by a sick note suggests it was more than 1 week each time (self cert 7 days)

Whilst I don't know, a sensible guess would be 2 weeks each. 25% of the time was spent off sick
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    So where is the acceptable and unacceptable limit for you? Four absences, five, ten?

Personally for me three in 6 months isn't dismissal but still could be a disciplinary process allowing time for improvement but also allowing for investigation from the employer to see if they can help.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Katlou wrote: »
    I am happy to move on.

Thats not whats coming across on here....
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Personally for me three in 6 months isn't dismissal but still could be a disciplinary process allowing time for improvement but also allowing for investigation from the employer to see if they can help.
    Wouldn't this be the case for most employers? For it to result in dismissal wouldn't it suggest that its either not the first time someone's sickness record has been looked at, or its not the only issue the employer has with the person?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Get that JSA claim in now. You'll get paid until you show them your P45 then they may sanction you depending on the mood of the Job Centre wifey on the day you go in with it.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 December 2017 at 6:04PM
    Options
    Personally I find it very worrying that its standard practice now for employers to count sickness as a disciplinary

Why? ......
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

Even the NHS do it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport