I could lose my job next year

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    DH wasn't offered a job once and the deciding factor was that he hadn't at the time passed his test. Didn't need to be able to drive for work, and he could get himself there by public transport, but they felt it was too far for that to be reliable.

So you can guess what I'd do!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    DH wasn't offered a job once and the deciding factor was that he hadn't at the time passed his test. Didn't need to be able to drive for work, and he could get himself there by public transport, but they felt it was too far for that to be reliable.

So you can guess what I'd do!

Lie - just like I always used to do before I could drive.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Advice generally seems to be to have a financial cushion to cover 3 months living costs and bills. If you work out how much that is, you will then be in a better position to decide if you can afford driving lessons plus a car once you pass your test.
    I agree with an earlier comment that there's little point in taking driving lessons if you won't be able to afford a car.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Lie - just like I always used to do before I could drive.
    Well that's going to go really well if they ask to see your licence!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'm with the pass your test gang. We've taken on a few recently, one of the terms was a valid car license (we check so you can't lie). And that is for an IT office based role.
  • Savvy_Sue wrote: »

They could be lucky; they might not ask to see the licence. They might only discover they can't drive when they ram the company car into a brick wall at 70 mph.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Learn to drive. With over 6k in savings you start to lose benefits so keeping around the 6k mark and learning something that might help get a job is sensible.
    Whilst you are learning definately look around for other work.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Advice generally seems to be to have a financial cushion to cover 3 months living costs and bills. If you work out how much that is, you will then be in a better position to decide if you can afford driving lessons plus a car once you pass your test.
    I agree with an earlier comment that there's little point in taking driving lessons if you won't be able to afford a car.
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »

I used to tell them I was about to take my test. If it had been a requirement for the job that I had a licence then I would've done an intensive course.
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    When I was out of work and looking for a new one, not being able to drive limited my options even though I lived in a big city.
    ally.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'd shelve the driving lessons until I'd sussed out the job market. If jobs require a driving licence or if driving to work is likely to be necessary, then I'd reconsider. But getting a licence and then not driving for a while is likely to mean getting refresher lessons, so money spent on lessons now is likely to be wasted.

Btw DD did just what Tabbytabitha suggested - told a potential employer she was about to take the test. Since the job didn't actually need driving, she then took normal type lessons and got her licence.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure