PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Right of Access Shared Driveway

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    ProDave wrote: »
    Just put plan B into operation.

Every time they park, blocking your access, decide you need to leave or enter your property. Just drive up to their parked car and sit there tooting your horn until the move.

Repeat until they get fed up keep moving.

I would tend to agree with this.

I've got a problematic neighbour as regards blocking ROW (amongst other stuff...:cool:).

Plan A is to have any of my visitors needing access to just sit there tooting their horns until they unblock my access.

Plan B is to just have any of my visitors parking right behind "her" cars etc and blocking them in and vanishing.

I've not needed to implement either strategy yet - but they are in reserve in case of need.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They don't believe their landlord and are willing to pay for a solicitor? How bizarre.

I could understand if the 'LL disputed it. However any legal action they may take and generating dispute won't help the 'LL later down the line.

I wonder if the LL knows they are seeking legal advice against his advice.
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Options
    Just start an all out war. Was in a similar position years ago.
    All started when a friend went to leave and was blocked in by our neighbour, who became abusive and threw paint over my friends van. the whole thing escalated to the point where if my friend would drive down our drive the neighbour would park over the front of the drive just to be a pain.
    Well they certainly came off the worse in the long run one night my friend turned up turned off their water and sheared the head of the stop tap off too. One time he turned up early to pick me up to go fishing and we stuck three sprats and a squid down the fresh air intake on the bonnet of their brand new Morris Ital. Squirted olive oil in their door locks so they all seized up in the winter.
    Let your creative juices flow
  • McTaggus
    McTaggus Posts: 279 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow........ I'm glad not to have had to resort to all out war!! :) Thankfully its all sorted, and she has backed down completely! Creative juices can flow elsewhere instead ;)
    Options
    Congratulations that that is sorted:T

As you say - it does detract from having one's Life Energies (aka "creative juices") available for getting on with one's Life/doing something more important or enjoyable:cool:
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Whenever these types of threads are posted I seem to have great difficulty picturing the situation in my head.

Just me obviously. Back doors, front doors ROW, shared drives all that. Gah.

Anyone up for drawing a picture for me!
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Options
    I once owned a house with a shared drive, the neighbour owned the land, he needed it for pedestrian access only whereas it led to my garage around the back of my house. His garage was at the front of his house. I had right of way over it.

The day I moved in, he introduced himself and told me to move the furniture van off it. They had to park over the road and carry my stuff over the road on a blind bend.

Six months later, he was divorcing and selling up. New neighbour moved in and started complaining when I washed my car and his driveway was getting soapy water on it!

I couldn't wait to move and have always chosen houses with my own private parking ever since.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • McTaggus
    McTaggus Posts: 279 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 November 2017 at 6:37PM
    Options
    Melanzana.... the house is a huge old house, that was subdivided into three properties originally. The previous owners of our house, bought one of the other properties and added to their own. Therefore if you think about the total footprint being a square, ours is an L shape in that square which occupies the whole of the right side of that square, and the entire bottom half of that square. Our neighbours property occupies the top left quadrant of that square.

Running the entire the left hand of that square, there is a car port / driveway. Their front door opens onto that. Our back door (previously the front door of the subdivided property at the back) also opens onto that driveway, but the back half of the driveway. I can't be bothered to try to work out a line image, but if you treat the below as an illustration - CP indicates the shared Car Port / Driveway, NH indicates where the attached neighbours house is, OH denotes where our house is, DOOR indicates where each of our houses opens to the shared area.

CPCPCP NHNHNHNH OHOHOHOH
    CPCPCP DOORNHNH OHOHOHOH
    CPCPCP NHNHNHNH OHOHOHOH
    CPCPCP NHNHNHNH OHOHOHOH
    CPCPCP OHOHOHOH OHOHOHOH
    CPCPCP DOOROHOH OHOHOHOH
    CPCPCP OHOHOHOH OHOHOHOH
    CPCPCP OHOHOHOH OHOHOHOH

Don't know if that helps you visualise :D Just to add, the lane runs along the front of the house at the top of the "visualisation" above... hence requiring access over the whole driveway to get out.
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 10 November 2017 at 6:52PM
    Options

The day I moved in, he introduced himself and told me to move the furniture van off it. They had to park over the road and carry my stuff over the road on a blind bend.

One does wonder what is (apparently) so hard to understand about ROWs in the circumstances:
    a. One is allowed to park on a ROW for loading/unloading purposes (eg moving in).
    b. One is NOT allowed to park on a ROW as a "place to park" and stay put (ie in lieu of a parking space).

It's hardly rocket science - but ...yep...my own next door neighbour can't seem to click to that - and thinks different rules apply to me to those that apply to her:cool::rotfl:She seems to think her visitors can park/stay put (which they can't) on the one hand but mine are (according to her) not allowed to park just long enough to load/unload. Duh!
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    McTaggus wrote: »
    Melanzana.... the house is a huge old house, that was subdivided into three properties originally. The previous owners of our house, bought one of the other properties and added to their own. Therefore if you think about the total footprint being a square, ours is an L shape in that square which occupies the whole of the right side of that square, and the entire bottom half of that square. Our neighbours property occupies the top left quadrant of that square.

Running the entire the left hand of that square, there is a car port / driveway. Their front door opens onto that. Our back door (previously the front door of the subdivided property at the back) also opens onto that driveway, but the back half of the driveway. I can't be bothered to try to work out a line image, but if you treat the below as an illustration - CP indicates the shared Car Port / Driveway, NH indicates where the attached neighbours house is, OH denotes where our house is, DOOR indicates where each of our houses opens to the shared area.

CPCPCP NHNHNHNH OHOHOHOH
    CPCPCP DOORNHNH OHOHOHOH
    CPCPCP NHNHNHNH OHOHOHOH
    CPCPCP NHNHNHNH OHOHOHOH
    CPCPCP OHOHOHOH OHOHOHOH
    CPCPCP DOOROHOH OHOHOHOH
    CPCPCP OHOHOHOH OHOHOHOH
    CPCPCP OHOHOHOH OHOHOHOH

Don't know if that helps you visualise :D Just to add, the lane runs along the front of the house at the top of the "visualisation" above... hence requiring access over the whole driveway to get out.

Totally lost there, but that's not unusual for me when these types of visualiations are needed. :rotfl:

All I can do now is wish you the best of luck. But I would not have anyone block my entrance and exits no matter what, if it is shared.

You have my sympathy, even if I cannot see the situation in my mind's eye!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure