How much do you pay for your logs?

I've tried several suppliers around me and the only one with always good quality seasoned hard wood is 140 for 1.5 M3.

I guess it's not too expensive for a months heating and hot water, but in other parts of the country I was able to pickup about 1m for 35 a few years ago

Comments

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,282
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Most of the wood I get just costs the diesel to get it home.

When I do buy, it's £7 per 25kg https://morghew.com/shop/honesty-stall/. I haven't bought a proper "load" for years.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Intoodeep
    Intoodeep Posts: 1,662
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    edited 24 October 2017 at 3:38PM
    hettyGreek wrote: »
    I've tried several suppliers around me and the only one with always good quality seasoned hard wood is 140 for 1.5 M3.

I guess it's not too expensive for a months heating and hot water, but in other parts of the country I was able to pickup about 1m for 35 a few years ago

Never pay for alleged quantities using m3, the only way to buy logs is by weight over a weighbridge.

And don't fall for the "ton" dumpy bag bull either, the dumpy bag may contain a ton of sand or gravel but we (a sawmill) have done quite a few trials and the "actual" weight of logs in one of those bags was as low as 0.27 Ton up to a maximum of 0.35 Ton
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904
    First Post
    Forumite
    Nothing, I collect it myself
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,849
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    hettyGreek wrote: »

There are so many variables with logs that it's almost an impossible question to answer. The varities of wood involved and, most importantly, whether they really are properly seasoned all come into play.

That said, not many have the land to grow their own, so in the probably vain hope that it's any use, I'm currently paying £135 for a 'double load' which is a hopeless measure used by almost all the suppliers around here - a 'load' being half a flatbed Transit's capacity which is somewhere around 1 cu metre I'd guess.

These are the best quality I've found locally and the price is about average. This is in Kent, by the way - it varies across the country.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,282
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Intoodeep wrote: »
    Never pay for alleged quantities using m3, the only way to buy logs is by weight over a weighbridge.

So a pickup truck full of wet logs is worth more than the same pickup truck full of dry logs? :huh:
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Intoodeep
    Intoodeep Posts: 1,662
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Ectophile wrote: »
    So a pickup truck full of wet logs is worth more than the same pickup truck full of dry logs? :huh:

Errrr yes, that's why you should always try and use "reputable" suppliers who will more often than not have their supplies covered and relatively dry.

And obviously don't wait till October to buy them...........
  • Intoodeep wrote: »
    And obviously don't wait till October to buy them...........

Ain't that the truth!

I'm another who doesn't buy anything, and scrounges and seasons their own wood. Descending like a vulture on the sound of chainsaws I always reassure the arb guys I'm not burning it this year and am working 1/2 years ahead. I admit to a having a few verdo briquettes tucked away in the house for occasional winter convenience.

I've just demolished 3 pallets down to slats and blocks so now have plenty of potential kindling material.
  • mumf
    mumf Posts: 599
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ain't that the truth!

I'm another who doesn't buy anything, and scrounges and seasons their own wood. Descending like a vulture on the sound of chainsaws I always reassure the arb guys I'm not burning it this year and am working 1/2 years ahead. I admit to a having a few verdo briquettes tucked away in the house for occasional winter convenience.

I've just demolished 3 pallets down to slats and blocks so now have plenty of potential kindling material.

Just like me!:)
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    And me............
    ;);)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts