Re WELDING Van

TWICKS
TWICKS Posts: 14 Forumite
Dear MSE Forum,
I have work that needs to be done on my Citroen Relay 2.00 HDI van - Welding;- Nearside inner & outer sills + rear wheel arch, offside inner & outer sills.
What would be APPROX time (hours) to do these repairs? What is a reasonable price to pay (hourly rate/ total)? I am in london but prepared to travel to get a reasonable (both price & quality) job done. I dont know if recommendations can be made here or by P. M. Many thanks Andy (London N4)

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Depends on how bad the rust is and whether there is any clean metal to weld the new parts to.

I welded the floor on a Fiesta some years back, the guy said its a small hole barely big enough for a finger.
    Wire brush on a drill and you could stick your head through the hole.

The foor was mostly rust.. You cannot weld to rust.

From what you mention start at £700 and go upwards.... Cheaper to buy a new van?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Lomast
    Lomast Posts: 849 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I would agree around 700 would be my guess without seeing it
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Depends on how bad the rust is and whether there is any clean metal to weld the new parts to.

I welded the floor on a Fiesta some years back, the guy said its a small hole barely big enough for a finger.
    Wire brush on a drill and you could stick your head through the hole.

The foor was mostly rust.. You cannot weld to rust.

From what you mention start at £700 and go upwards.... Cheaper to buy a new van?
    That's the trouble. If you do the job properly, you start looking for solid metal to weld to, and end up with a very large hole.
    Friend of mine who has his own garage and does MOTs says that once vehicles get to the point of needing more than minor repairs for small holes then it's time to say goodbye.
    Unless you have the time, skills and inclination to DIY of course.
    Don't know about the price. Sorry.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Unless the rest of the van is immaculate, I'd suggest that this amount of welding is the end of the road and its time to break the van for spares.
  • TWICKS
    TWICKS Posts: 14 Forumite
    Thanks for your advice Forgot to mention interior has been converted to a campervan so is worth more than a basic van. When you get a quote for welding how is it worked out usually Expected time (hrs)/(days) Expected job ? and what would be reasonable hrly rate to expect to pay
  • droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Being converted to a camper van would, IMO, increase the price of the work, simply because there is more interior to have to remove prior to actually starting the welding work compared to an unlined, untrimmed van. Or do vans have a lot of interior trim in the load area these days?

Garages are often reluctant to provide much of a quotation for repairing rust, for the reason above - it's very hard to tell how much needs to be stripped back before reaching solid metal.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Add carpets and flammable items and the bill just got bigger. Does it have a gas stove or an additional battery? If so then its more work.

Buy a non rusty one and swap the camper bits over? Take a class in welding and buy yourself a welder?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Jackmydad
    Add carpets and flammable items and the bill just got bigger. Does it have a gas stove or an additional battery? If so then its more work.

Buy a non rusty one and swap the camper bits over? Take a class in welding and buy yourself a welder?
    No doubt about it, once you start down the welding route, unless the repairs really are done properly, then you're going to be at it forever.
    By "proper" repairs I mean using proper repair panels / sections such as:
    https://coastalmotorhomes.co.uk/body-exhaust/body-repair-panels/sills/peugeot-boxer-citroen-relay-fiat-ducato-outer-sill-repair-panel.html (no affiliation)
    And having the skill to remove any rusty areas in the surrounding areas, and replace to a good standard, and not just bang a few patches over the rusty bits, leaving the rust to "fester" behind.
    If you could buy a decent, clean, ordinary van and swap the camper bits over, it'd probably be a better, and in the long run cheaper, plan.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Inner and outer sills? That's not good and it won't be cheap. Usually its only replacing the outer sills and you weld those to the inners. As others have said you may find that it is going to be a major job requiring much of the interior to be stripped out because of the risk of fire as the inner sill will be welded to the floor and there is a lot of heat generated to the point the metal gets a bright orange and that can set fire to carpet, underlay, soundproofing or any other fittings attached to the floor.

Rear wheel arch alone you're looking at a few hundred quid once its been done and painted.
  • Jackmydad
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Inner and outer sills? That's not good and it won't be cheap. Usually its only replacing the outer sills and you weld those to the inners. As others have said you may find that it is going to be a major job requiring much of the interior to be stripped out because of the risk of fire as the inner sill will be welded to the floor and there is a lot of heat generated to the point the metal gets a bright orange and that can set fire to carpet, underlay, soundproofing or any other fittings attached to the floor.

Rear wheel arch alone you're looking at a few hundred quid once its been done and painted.
    I can remember gas welding a patch into the floor of my Vauxhall Victor. Wearing goggles, you can't really see a normal flame. I thought, "That's smelling hot", whipped the goggles off, and I'd got quite a nice little underseal fire going. :eek: The hosepipe put it out luckily!
    It's scared me again just typing about it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure