is it worth joining a union?

Options

Comments

• scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bugslet wrote: »
    I know unions can negotiate more than pay, but that was the briefest of examples.

As for over Xmas, I presume you mean the actual bank holidays, we'd talk to the staff currently. I don't know how it works in other places, I 've only ever worked for small companies, but it's always been sorted out. I'll give you a real life example going back a few years.

We used to do transport in the UK only and then we dipped our toes in to Europe. Some of the early journeys were only a few hours to destination and back to port, less than 8 hours altogether. Of course the UK pay structure wasn't designed to deal with that type of scenario where people weren't working, but free to dispose of their time, seeing tulips in Amsterdam or whatever, but also limited by being in a foreign country and meeting ferry times. So a couple of the drivers came to us and we thought yes, you are right it's currently a rubbish system. It got changed and as long as you are abroad you are guaranteed 12 hours, 8 hours basic and four hours overtime, even if you only work 2 hours. If you work more than 12, those hours are paid as well. There were other changes, but let's keep it simple. The drivers thought it was fair and over the years since we put a lot of effort in and discussed it with the lads, it's stood with a few minor tweaks as regulations and the job evolves.

Maybe other places work from a position of seeing how little they can get away with, whereas we work from what's the maximum we can afford. Another example! Every Xmas we give a bonus, bottle or crate of their choice and a £100.00. Xmas before last they were surprised to find £500.00 bonus, because we had had a good year and we shared it.

I can't imagine us ever not getting an agreement with staff over Xmas to use your example. It s just not how it works with us.

The you negotiated. Thats what a reps does. If you are fair then there really is no issue but your example is you. Of course the better the company, the less work a union has. Surely you understand the majority of places don't work like you described.

You gave the impression you say x and its x. I explained where I work in a large company you would get no one working or you would get a few, because there is always them. But not enough to do the job.

I was off sick a while back.....3 months full pay and no one said a word other than welcome back. You think we now have that in a contract other than because of decent reps/ Union backing and a decent open minded company?

Some of the lads on older contracts can have a year full pay as long as they provide Drs notes??..........is that what you pay?
  • Wayne_O_Mac
    Options
    Unions use more hostile forms of negotiation, like threatening strikes, overtime band, etc - and they try to achieve pay & conditions that are unnaturally above market rate
    'Market' rates are too low because employers are engaged in a race to the bottom over terms and conditions and pay.

A well-unionised workforce helps prevent this.
  • scd3scd4
    Options
    Scd3 - you said well trained - jobs that are more skilled have more ability to strike/whatever, most of the people I work with are replaceable - striking is a privilege for the elite, it's not something we could do

Unions use more hostile forms of negotiation, like threatening strikes, overtime band, etc - and they try to achieve pay & conditions that are unnaturally above market rate, in doing so they make it more expensive for companies to hire and more expensive for customers to buy a service -
    remember that everybody is a customer... Including unskilled workers and pensioners

When we had a restructuring meeting 1 of the 3 unions my colleagues use turned up for a recruitment drive, they only managed to delay what happened by raising questions, that was all they did, they stopped nothing, I feel like my colleagues are being ripped off

Then we should be grateful our grandparents saw life differently a??

Who said its above market rate. The bosses?

You mean like the greedy cleaners for the Houses of Parliament?

What pay and conditions. You mean like holiday pay, sickness and the like?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 August 2017 at 3:12PM
    Options
    'Market' rates are too low because employers are engaged in a race to the bottom over terms and conditions and pay.

A well-unionised workforce helps prevent this.

Yes it can in some cases and in other cases it can quicken the demise of a company (edit) or result in layoffs or not recruiting more staff.
  • scd3scd4
    Options
    john22 wrote: »
    Yes it can in some cases and in other cases it can quicken the demise of a company.

They all said the same about the minimum wage. Funny that.
  • System
    Options
    A lower market rate or less holiday, sick pay, etc means it's cheaper to keep staff, therefore more jobs will be available, if enough jobs are available competition to recruit would push wages up - the fact that we're raising NMW before that even happens means we're not giving the economy the chance to create naturally sustainable higher pay.

And of staff are more expensive, every product you but will be more expensive - and suppose you were buying something labour intensive, like a house, elderly care or child care, those would be more expensive. You'll pay most of these (apart from childcare) from your taxed net pay, but what you receive would've been reduced by tax and tax credit tapers, so overall you lose more than you gain - I think this is a bigger reason for poverty than anything else

The train drivers strike, doctors strike, Bank of England workers strike pee me off, cleaners less so, but they're replaceable, and they could just look elsewhere for work anyway
  • scd3scd4
    Options
    A lower market rate or less holiday, sick pay, etc means it's cheaper to keep staff, therefore more jobs will be available, if enough jobs are available competition to recruit would push wages up - the fact that we're raising NMW before that even happens means we're not giving the economy the chance to create naturally sustainable higher pay.

And of staff are more expensive, every product you but will be more expensive - and suppose you were buying something labour intensive, like a house, elderly care or child care, those would be more expensive. You'll pay most of these (apart from childcare) from your taxed net pay, but what you receive would've been reduced by tax and tax credit tapers, so overall you lose more than you gain - I think this is a bigger reason for poverty than anything else

The train drivers strike, doctors strike, Bank of England workers strike pee me off, cleaners less so, but they're replaceable, and they could just look elsewhere for work anyway

There is more rubbish here than I can comment about, sorry. Thank God for Unions and men sticking together with your view.
  • System
    Options
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    They all said the same about the minimum wage. Funny that.

What has that got to do with anything?

Because X does a good thing they cant do a bad thing?

Because X did a good thing you should support them not matter what?
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bugslet wrote: »
    *Full disclosure, I have a one year old Giant schnauzer for whom I have taken out Insurance for her first year only.

There you go, we have something in common - Schnauzers.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • scd3scd4
    edited 13 August 2017 at 3:24PM
    Options
    john22 wrote: »
    What has that got to do with anything?

Because X does a good thing they cant do a bad thing?

Because X did a good thing you should support them not matter what?

No idea what you think you are saying.

I used the example to prove that sometimes when they say something its wrong or they are lying.

Hope you understand now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport