PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

BT broadband and tv

Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone could help me, I'm due to get the keys to my house on 29/3 :) does anyone know when is best I should order my tv and broadband? Possibly a rough time scale from anyone's experience would be greatly appreciated :) Would like it as close as possible to my moving date. Thanks

Comments

• It takes around 10 days - 2 weeks to set up. If it is an empty property you can order now but if it is already occupied and the occupier has a phoneline through bt/sky etc. You may cause problems and disconnect their line.

That was the problem when we moved so lived with mobiles and an internet dongle for around 10 days.

Xx
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    LL1345 wrote: »
    Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone could help me, I'm due to get the keys to my house on 29/3
    Is this a wish date, towards which you and your seller are working, or have you actually Exchanged Contracts?
  • teffers
    teffers Posts: 698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Be careful.

I ordered my BT line for a week before completion ( empty house ).

After I moved in, EON then sent the previous owners outstanding bill to an in-house debt collector, in my name no less, and told me they 'Had information that I'd lied about my move in date'.

!!!!ing imbeciles didn't bother to look at the land registry, or maybe ask me to confirm my move in date etc. Just saw that BT did a credit check a week before I'd said I got the keys and started threatening to ruin my credit reference.

After a ton of calls and me pointing out the facts it was sorted. They offered me £5 to apologise.
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    teffers wrote: »
    Be careful.

I ordered my BT line for a week before completion ( empty house ).

After I moved in, EON then sent the previous owners outstanding bill to an in-house debt collector, in my name no less, and told me they 'Had information that I'd lied about my move in date'.

!!!!ing imbeciles didn't bother to look at the land registry, or maybe ask me to confirm my move in date etc. Just saw that BT did a credit check a week before I'd said I got the keys and started threatening to ruin my credit reference.

After a ton of calls and me pointing out the facts it was sorted. They offered me £5 to apologise.

Hi teffers,

Just wanted to pop the link to your other thread, just in case it helps anyone with a similar E.ON issue.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5492524

Thank you

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • lika_86
    lika_86 Posts: 1,769 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I just switched from Sky and put my order in on the 16th March and have a date for delivery of the stuff and switchover of 30th March. However, I think I remember seeing on their site that you can't order until you're in a place or something along those lines.
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If it helps, we set ours up last Friday to be connected next Monday (completed yesterday and moving in properly this weekend).

Edit: Meant to add that we are also using BT.
    Best 2021 wins: 48 bottles of cider, £200 John Lewis Vouchers, £100 Currys vouchers
  • always_sunny
    always_sunny Posts: 8,314 Forumite
    the advantage of BT Internet is that if your neighbours have BT as well, you can use the hotspot account as soon as you sign up for BB.

The disadvantage though is that they increase prices ever year and charge you at the end of the contract!
    EU expat working in London
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    and charge you at the end of the contract!

Do they? If you complete your contract and then choose to move what charge is there?
  • nicmyles
    nicmyles Posts: 290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm due to get the keys to my house on 29/3 does anyone know when is best I should order my tv and broadband?

Based on my experience of BT and Openreach, what you should do is get in your Delorean, achieve 88mph and travel back in time to this time last year. Then you should be able to get broadband up about two months into your ownership of the property.
  • jbainbridge
    jbainbridge Posts: 2,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Are you buying the house?
    Have you exchanged?

Assuming you have ... get the order in now. They should be able to give you a start date and it is unlikely to be before the 29th.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure