PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies

Comments

• spinningsheep
    spinningsheep Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Anne_Marie do you have a Jumbo near you? You may find something in there. Big ones at King's Mall Paphos and under the flyover at Lemesos. Used to be Orphanides. X

CC limits £26000

Long term CC debt £0

Total low rate loan debt £3000

Almost debt free feeling, priceless.

Ex money nightmare, learnt from my mistakes and never going back there again, in control of my finances for the first time in my adult life and it feels amazing. 
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Anne_Marie do you have a Jumbo near you? You may find something in there. Big ones at King's Mall Paphos and under the flyover at Lemesos. Used to be Orphanides. X

Thanks for that, never even thought to look in Jumbo, nearest is about an hour from me. (I never come out of there empty handed :o ) Needing some more blackout curtains, so will have a look next time I'm there. The cut up pool noodle is doing a sterling job at the moment. :p
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Gem-gem wrote: »
    Went Lidl have reduced priced food eg peppers, we buy lots, chop them up and then put them in the freezer and use over time.

Reuse wrapping paper on my hubbies presents.
    Hubby and I reuse Valentine cards ( write a new message in every year).

I love how you keep the Valentine cards and write a new message. What a treasure and a lovely way to make the day special. I'm stealing this idea!
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I love how you keep the Valentine cards and write a new message. What a treasure and a lovely way to make the day special. I'm stealing this idea!

Used to do this too....started off when hubby came home from sea unexpectedly one year, and I hadn't bought a card, so looked out the one from the year before. He initially thought that I had gone mad and bought the same card twice, and then it dawned on him, so we just kept it up, and he did the same with mine. :D
  • Sylar321
    Sylar321 Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It took me a good few days but I have read this entire thread and got some great tips so thanks everyone :) There's quite a few that I already do and it's nice to see I'm not alone with some of the things I do to save the pennies as I'm sure others think me a bit odd.

Can't really think of much that's not already been said but to save on washing my hair and getting through shampoo, I use talcom powder on the first day my hair starts to feel like it needs a wash. I used to buy dry shampoo but realised talc does pretty much the same job and it's cheaper and goes further. Although, it makes it quite static, but I can live with that.
  • mobo1980
    mobo1980 Posts: 368 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Not sure if anyones has already used this ,but I bought my o/h a flask for work that he never used so now i boil the kettle and pour rest of the hot water in here - it keeps it hot for upto 12 hours so don't have to boil kettle as much :)
    CC1-£1729.53
    CC2-£4323.00
    LOAN-£14,519.05
    TOTAL DEBT £20,571.58 :eek:
    Then there's the mortgage :o
  • givememoney
    givememoney Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Not quite sure if this works anymore, but just in case it does. Buy a gift voucher which comes with a card. Take the voucher out and just sent the card. This way, if you were only going to send a card, you have that card for free and use the voucher yourself another time.
  • Our electric kettle died so we have started to use our Le Creuset stove top kettle that we bought years ago in the sales. We also recently bought a push top thermos that holds 2 litres of water for £20. Now we only boil the kettle 3 times a day and fill upthe thermos. This gives us water on demand for hot drinks. The left over water washes up lunch and dinner and as we have calor gas and have paid for our gas in advance we feel like the water is for free!
    Now Mrs FrugalinShropshire:T Proud to be mortgage and debt free:j
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Gem-gem wrote: »
    Hubby and I reuse Valentine cards ( write a new message in every year).

Around the late 1990s my late husband bought me a beautiful Christmas card one year, it was so nice with beautiful words and not at all like him to buy as a rule, the following year I told him not to buy me another one as I would put his previous one up on the mantlepiece at Christmas.

Every year I would get it out and put it up and on the back of the card I would write the date and year

I sadly lost him in July 2003 to a heart attack, but still every year I put his card up on the mantlepiece and write the date on the back.

To me its as though he was still around laughing and saying 'Oh JackieO (his nickname for me ) what are you like :rotfl::rotfl:My two DDs always look for their Dads card every year as well
  • MrsRogers
    MrsRogers Posts: 631 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Uniscots97 wrote: »
    I mentioned this a long time ago but I'm going to repeat it. Time how long it takes to charge an item and keep a note of it. Then when charging it set an alarm (on your phone or kitchen timer) to remind you to switch it off so you don't waste any electricity

If this is for your phone there are apps for that now :)
    Goal - We want to be mortgages free :j

I Quit Smoking March 2010 :T
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport