PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Twin-Tub Washing Machines

Comments

• Hi,

I don't have the plumbing or room for an automatic washer and was also looking to get one of the new style plastic ones as I the dimesions mean I can fit it under the breakfast bar next to my sink. Is it like this one?

http://www.ajmshopping.co.uk/more_details.asp?MainCat=HousewareAndDomesticGoods&SubCat=AirConditioningUnit&ItemCode=F5695#

and if so how much can you fit in it? Its just me as a single person and I hate handwashing in the sink and then trailing to the launderette!

Thanks,

Lally
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This machine is very small and only designed for washing a few bits out when camping or caravaning. It wouldn't cope with a pair of jeans (even washed on their own) and you could not fit a double duvet cover in. No good as a regular machine IMO . HTH
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes, looking at the picture and dimensions, would guess that the tub is around 12" in diameter and 18" deep - American version of washing in the sink..?
  • Just joined the forum to reply - as I've been looking for a replacement Twin Tub for my Gran - just in case her's can't be mended (She keeps thinking it's lasted her 40 years)

The full size Twin Tub made from Plastic is here >
    Harrisons on eBay
    Just type in "Twin tub"

or
    Thompsons 4 shops in Worcestershire

Width: 32" (810mm)
    Depth: 18" (460mm)
    Height: 35.5" (900mm)
    Net Weight: 68lb (31kg)
  • Austin_Allegro
    Austin_Allegro Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Lally, you might like to try the Hinari counter-top washing machine

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002HDM5Q/qid%3D1151492393/026-3165117-7961217

(See my review under the name of Muswell).

That American thing looked good - until I saw the actual size of it! Way too small for practical use. I'd also be wary of the ebay twin tub because if you have the washer and spinner combined, if one konks out you have to replace the whole thing, whereas if you use my method of seperate washer and spinner, you can just replace one or the other, and it makes better use of space.

My mother swore by the old twin-tubs though and was very sorry to see hers go.
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I did have one when I first got married and it was wonderful to be able to whizz through a whole weeks washing in one morning, now it seems to take forever, I'm washing every day and then you have washing drying all over the house every single day :(
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    My Mum had one and I remember the huge wooden tongs she had with it. Can't say I'd be impressed with one - I like automatic machines.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • What do you reckon, when I get my first ever washing machine would it be a good idea to get a twin tub? They sound brill!!
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
  • taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    This brings back memories!:D we had a twintub in our first flat.The floor was sloping so it used to wobble across the kitchen!:D
    It used to spin well but was quite time-consuming having to fill it and then empty it afterwards but better than not having one at all and having to use the laundrette!;)
    You don't seem to see them around much nowadays, only in secondhand shops or the skip!
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I had one years ago and loved it! You do have to have a time though to allot to washing, not like bunging it in the automatic willy nilly. They are a bit of a faff, but must save loads on washing powder etc. the spin driers are v. efficient compared to automatics.
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills