PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Great 'Things to do when you move' Hunt

Comments

• mrsk
    mrsk Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Not if you are my late grandad!
    He put the keys to the new house in his suit jacket pocket, put the jacket in his wardrobe whilst he helped move some stuff. The wardrobe was put onto the van first ....without emtying the contents. ( don't know why) They travelled 150 mile - arrived at the new house with no keys. Had to unload the van on the street:eek:!
    Welcome to the neighbourhood folks! My grandma was shouting so much we were all embarrassed- goodness knows what the neighbours thought.

Oh, I was referring to the pocket of clothes you are wearing!

and another thought... a sealable plastic box for every odd but important item which turns up at the last minute. Into that you put the keys for furniture, the bits that hold the shelf up in the bookcase, odd bits of lego from behind the furniture, etc.
  • REDIRECTION- through Royal Mail it takes 5 days to set up once you've paid (not two as someone else said). You can't pay online if you've already changed your bank address as it will only accept your old address as the billing address. It costs £7.50 extra to do it over the phone too! So take two utility bills and some photo ID in person to the post office at least 5 days before the move.

Mark every side of the moving boxes with whats in it (or your number code). Once they're all stacked up you can't see how you've labelled it!

Even if the move isn't finalised yet call ALL your companies well in advance to see what notice they need. For example the energy supply will take 28 days to switch over so you'll have to use the previous supplier for 28 days. Some companies linked to payments (eg mobile) need to be done AFTER you update the bank but some (eg royal mail) need to be done before.

Put your packing boxes on freecycle once you're done. There's always lots of demand for these as they're so expensive to buy new and you only use them once!
  • one thing we are considering is cancelling Sky and when we move getting my wife to sign up as a new member via Topcash - so we get cheap installation, M & S voucher and cash back. Sounds too good to be true? anyone experience of this?
  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ztan wrote: »
    I think it's a good idea to get little resealable bags for all the screws and bits from dismantled furniture. I've put sticky labels on them, with "Spare bed" or "Bookcase" written on the front, and they will be going in a box of "stuff to keep with me" I can't imagine anything worse than not being able to find the screws for the bed at the other end!

I put all the screws for a piece of furniture in a sealed envelope, labelled with what it is for and then masking tape it to a bit of that furniture's flat pack.
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    mean_mark wrote: »
    one thing we are considering is cancelling Sky and when we move getting my wife to sign up as a new member via Topcash - so we get cheap installation, M & S voucher and cash back. Sounds too good to be true? anyone experience of this?

Yes. I didn't do it for cashback (it didn't exist in 2001 I don't think) but Sky had mistakenly been giving us movies for months and I didn't want them to find out and bill us, so when we moved into our new house, I did it in my name. Previously it had been in my husband's.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • i,ve just joined. i must be dumb but how do i post an idea?
  • nearlynew
    nearlynew Posts: 3,800 Forumite
    frogfrog wrote: »
    i,ve just joined. i must be dumb but how do i post an idea?

What do you mean?
    "The problem with quotes on the internet is that you never know whether they are genuine or not" -
    Albert Einstein
  • [MaccA] wrote: »
    Take a meter reading at the old and new house. If possible use a camera or phone to take a picture....
    Include in the picture that day's tabloid. I know it sounds a bit like a kidnapping demand but it takes all quibbles out of the equation.

Also, apart from loo roll, ketttle, mugs, tea & coffee, also keep all mobile phones(and laptops) and their respective chargers with you rather in in the removal van. If the phones are PAYG make sure they're topped up. As your landline is unlikely to be connected the instant you move in, or indeed any time soon, this is good advice :).
  • oh dear. forget that. just like this!......anyway on moving, tip.....dont forget to let your brother-in-law out of the back of the van on your last trip when you go in for a cuppa before unloading!
  • nearlynew
    nearlynew Posts: 3,800 Forumite
    Things to do when you move?

Take all your 100w lightbulbs with you because you can't buy them anymore.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet is that you never know whether they are genuine or not" -
    Albert Einstein
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport