Osteoporosis

A bone density scan will tell you if you have - Osteoporosis - medication is usually a weekly tablet and daily vitamin D + calcium.

Anyone on this, are you experiencing any side effects?
I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard

Comments

• Janey3
    Janey3 Posts: 417
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I was prescribed Alendronic Acid last year for osteoporosis and osteopenia in parts. I am yet to take this weekly tablet. I know I should but I'm so frightened of the purported side effects.
  • Janey3
    Janey3 Posts: 417
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I do take Vitamin D with Calcium daily.
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Janey3 wrote: »
    I was prescribed Alendronic Acid last year for osteoporosis and osteopenia in parts. I am yet to take this weekly tablet. I know I should but I'm so frightened of the purported side effects.

But, if you haven't taken any how do you what side effect you may have?
    You may get a minor side effect with one, then the following week you're not affected by that one.
    1) you may get a side effect(s), you probably won't,
    2) the side effect may be minor, or it may make a big difference that you can't cope with it,
    3) if the latter - you could see your Dr and say, I did to take an alternative as I get ............. with this one.

HTHs good luck.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • helcat26
    helcat26 Posts: 1,119
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Hi
    My Dad is on this because he has polymyalgia.

It is really important to take the weekly tablet to aid the calcium uptake. Even more so in his case as he is on steroids for the polymyalgia which affect bone density

It did upset his stomach- but then he became more careful about taking it with water and sitting still for 30mins before food.

His teeth do appear to have become weaker in the last 2 years while he has been taking it
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I had a bone scan last month and am osteopenia.

My GP put me on Adcal-D3, the one you buy are not strong enough. I take two a day, never knew you could get them to take once a week??

Side effects for me are wind about 15 minutes after each tablet but goes away quite quickly.
  • Alendronic Acid (once a week) and Adcal D3 (daily) are different drugs so there's no reason why the dosage and intervals would be the same.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Ive been on Alendronic Acid for years now and have had no side effects what so ever.

I also take Calci Chew again, no side effects.

Its for your own good that these are prescribed for you..... so don't be scared.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,827
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    If you don't take the prescribed medication and have a fall and break a bone that could well be much worse than any possible side-effects.

There are very specific instructions around taking the weekly medication. You have to take it on an empty stomach and not lie down or eat for at least half an hour after taking it.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    no1catman wrote: »
    But, if you haven't taken any how do you what side effect you may have?
    You may get a minor side effect with one, then the following week you're not affected by that one.
    1) you may get a side effect(s), you probably won't,
    2) the side effect may be minor, or it may make a big difference that you can't cope with it,
    3) if the latter - you could see your Dr and say, I did to take an alternative as I get ............. with this one.

HTHs good luck.

I agree. You never know what side effects you will have, if any.

Because there is no way of proving some reactions (many just reported to doctors and pharmacists by patients), drug leaflets have long lists of side effects, several of which are the actual symptoms being treated.

For one of my conditions it has had to be a trial and error situation to find a suitable drug (hopefully found). Some of these had really scary, known, side effects like loss of hair and I've experienced none of them. However, I had bad reactions to two painkilling drugs, which are commonly used. (One of these really surprised my GP, who said that some 80 year-olds down them like Smarties, with no bad experience and the other gave me terrible nightmares ).

I was very wary, when given, yet another drug, 10 days ago, with the suggestion that I ring if I get side effects so an alternative can be used. Beyond , possibly, a dry mouth, I've had no reaction.

It really is worth giving drugs a try, especially if the possible benefits to health outweigh any side effects which may only last a short time.

Your pharmacist will give you an idea of the actual incidence of side effects that they personally have had reported.
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Could I make a plea for anyone taking alendronic acid or any bisphosphonate drug to see a dentist, preferably before starting the drug to get dentally fit . Bisphosphonates can cause problems with healing after teeth out.

It's particularly important if you are having iv bisphosphonates like pamidronate to make sure you are dentally fit before you start treatment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure