Regular Savings Accounts Article Discussion

Comments

• Hey, anyone seen this - Halifax Childrens reg saver pays 6% if you have a child you can open it for, interestingly it doesnt say you have to be related so you could open one if your best mate has a child and they will let you open in their childs name! Only know this as my mate has opened one in my kids name.

halifax.co.uk/savings/childregularsaver.asp?!!!!!gsr
  • juicyjude
    juicyjude Posts: 670 Forumite
    I would feel if I did that though that the money would have to go to that child, or is that your intention? Perhaps I am being overly sensitive though, it has been said before that I am!
  • Hi everyone,

I want to save up for travelling next July and I can save about £500pm. Are there any regular savings accounts out there which I can take out all my money after 10 months and still give me the interest that I've earned over the 10 months? :S
    Any advice would be appreciated :)

Thanks
  • I went in to the Llandaff branch of The Principality yesterday to open a 4% one year regular saver account, and was happy to learn that as part of the 150 year birthday of the Principality, certain branches are paying 5% rather than 4%.

Apparently the Llandaff branch will be doing this for another week, and I think another branch will then carry the offer for another 2 weeks.

So, if you live in Cardiff and want to open one of these this week, you might want to go to Llandaff high street and do it there. If you are planning to open one later it might make sense to give them a call to see if any other branch is offering the 5% rate.

Hope this helps!
  • Chadsman
    Chadsman Posts: 1,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    God save the King!
    I'll save Winston Churchill, Jane Austen, J. M. W. Turner and Alan Turing.
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Chadsman wrote: »

Thanks.

They even have some times running backwards, eg
    Treorchy Branch: 22/11/2010 - 04/11/2010
    though perhaps it's 22/11/2010 - 04/12/2010.
  • huw01
    huw01 Posts: 338 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Chadsman wrote: »

Excellent, looks like they've been in my local Prestatyn branch but I'll pop down the road to Denbigh in November.

Got to say I have a soft spot for the Principlaity - to me it's an old fashioned society that still offers excellent products:)
  • huw01 wrote: »
    Got to say I have a soft spot for the Principlaity - to me it's an old fashioned society that still offers excellent products:)
    Same here. I've had an account with them of some sort since I was about 5.

It was surprisingly simple to open the account too - they did it over the cashier's counter, no need to sit down. Only thing to that caused a slight problem was that you have to open it with cash or a cheque - I'd assumed you could do a bank transfer. Luckily my bank lets me withdraw £500 a day so I just went to the cashpoint, but it's probably worth remembering to take a cheque book with you!
  • Be aware that the Santander Regular Saver only pays the 6% if you transfer your main current account to them. The information on MSE says 'The rate for the account is 6% if you open a Santander current account at the same time' (but nothing about transferring), so a little misleading. Also, if you follow the link to Santander's website, it is not qualified on this page as it only provides information on the 4% account.

As I understood the 6% to operate as a bonus rate to the 4% account and not that it was a completely different account, and that it states that the account can be opened by phone as well as at the branch, it caused me to:

- waste over an hour on the frustrating phone service with numerous cut offs;

- to open up a current account that is now pointless to me; and,

- make two visits to branch (one to make an appointment) because I was eventually advised that I could only open the 6% regular saver account in branch.

A lot of this could be avoided if Santander's staff were well trained and knew the products they sold. Unfortunately, Santander is still an 'Abbey', but with just a different name. All this to try and boost an extra £30 annual interest on my savings in times when the rates we get are diminishing against inflation.
  • TOP_CAT
    TOP_CAT Posts: 583 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hope someone can advise on the outcome from experience.

I opened santander 6% RS ON 17th oct 2009.

Deposited the first £250 on 21st oct 2009.

Deposited next £250 on 2nd nov 2009 having reset S/O.

On 1st of oct 2010 £76.84 interest was credited.So interest paid on 13th payment date but not the 12 month maturity date?

Will a further smaller final interest credit be made on the 17th or as I hope on the 21st oct 2010 which was the opening credit date or maturity date.
    Thanks for any help.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure