Can't get past welcome/log in screen (boot up) - windows

Comments

• NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    I haven't ordered an ssd. Do you mean order an ssd irrespective of if I get the HDD working? My HDD is 1tb but barely filled as I have other stuff on externals, but still have important data on my HDD that i didn't back up

I'll try Rufus to create the USB in the next couple days. I have an 8gb USB I think. I'll do this on my parents compute r

Full model is es1 311 c4qs

Yes, irrespective.

The laptop contains an Intel Celeron N2840 CPU. A CPU on par with the one in my more than seven year old laptop. Which was a budget model in the first place.
    So I don't imagine that your laptop is a particularly snappy performer. A clean install to SSD will change that.
    So if you intend to place the HDD into a caddy, it would be the ideal time to pop an SSD in.

Notwithstanding, you should take the HDD in the first instance and then turn the machine on to see how far it goes.
  • Yes, irrespective.

The laptop contains an Intel Celeron N2840 CPU. A CPU on par with the one in my more than seven year old laptop. Which was a budget model in the first place.
    So I don't imagine that your laptop is a particularly snappy performer. A clean install to SSD will change that.
    So if you intend to place the HDD into a caddy, it would be the ideal time to pop an SSD in.

Notwithstanding, you should take the HDD in the first instance and then turn the machine on to see how far it goes.

Ok thanks

So instead of 'bootable USB, you would

- take out HDD
    - insert ssd
    (Try not to break anything here)
    - reinstall win 10
    - plug HDD into caddy
    - remove anything I can from HDD (without recover software)

Bit annoying spending money on ssd ...is it a standard 2.5 inch I need...seen a few on Amazon 120gb for about £30
  • NiftyDigits
    Ok thanks

So instead of 'bootable USB, you would

- take out HDD
    - insert ssd
    (Try not to break anything here)
    - reinstall win 10
    - plug HDD into caddy
    - remove anything I can from HDD (without recover software)

Bit annoying spending money on ssd ...is it a standard 2.5 inch I need...seen a few on Amazon 120gb for about £30

Not instead as you may need the bootable USB flash drive to reinstall the operating system

Actually, you really don't have to buy the SSD, but the fact is that your system has a relatively weak CPU and having an old style HDD doesn't help.

Remember that you were already willing to spend £150 to £200 on another laptop, so spending £40 on an SSD will be like getting a new laptop. :)
    May I suggest that you don't go for the cheapest of the cheap, as that is what has got you where you are in the first place.

But you don't have to purchase an SSD if you really don't want to do so.

You can simply take the existing HDD out and then boot the machine to see what happens.
    I really feel that I am repeating myself here. :)

The bonus of having the SSD to hand is that you you can get on with the re-installation immediately.

Get the USB Flash drive done! :)
  • Yes sorry a bit slow.

Right today I'll order an ssd and get USB sorted.

Saturday hopefully ssd arrives and I get to work
  • NiftyDigits
    Yes sorry a bit slow.

Right today I'll order an ssd and get USB sorted.

Saturday hopefully ssd arrives and I get to work

Make the bootable media and test it.

You can then boot off the USB flash drive and begin as if you are going to going to run a clean install form boot, but instead of choosing Install Now, you move to the bottom left and choose Repair Your Computer.

The fact it that there are many possible steps to take to check the HDD and to repair corrupted boot data.

Many options listed here

So you have the option to work through these or simply run a clean install to a new SSD. Your machine will perform better with the SSD anyway.

But I want you to try to boot the machine with no HDD installed in order to check that there are no other issues.

Take out the HDD and then boot up the machine and report what happens.

You can do all of this before the SSD arrives.
  • catoutthebag
    catoutthebag Posts: 2,216 Forumite
    Make the bootable media and test it.

You can then boot off the USB flash drive and begin as if you are going to going to run a clean install form boot, but instead of choosing Install Now, you move to the bottom left and choose Repair Your Computer.

The fact it that there are many possible steps to take to check the HDD and to repair corrupted boot data.

Many options listed here

So you have the option to work through these or simply run a clean install to a new SSD. Your machine will perform better with the SSD anyway.

But I want you to try to boot the machine with no HDD installed in order to check that there are no other issues.

Take out the HDD and then boot up the machine and report what happens.

You can do all of this before the SSD arrives.

Sorry for the delayed response, I hadn't checked back as it was stressing me out, so had a break after ordering the sdd

So, I've put in my new sandisk 120gb ssd, which only arrived today from Amazon.co.uk

My HDD is hooked to a caddy, but not connected

Turn on machine, it says 'no 'bootable device'

I have an empty USB, I think 4 or 8gb.

I can follow your steps to ensure the USB is 'bootable.

But given I've put in a new blank ssd, I guess I'm going to install win 10 home on to my USB and not the ISO image file?

Thanks in advance
  • catoutthebag
    catoutthebag Posts: 2,216 Forumite
    Sorry I didn't do your suggestion of taking out HDD and booting empty to see what happens as I had put in the new ssd at that point. Shall I do this now or leave it?

So given my ssd is in, shall I do a clean install of windows by installing win 10 into the USB and ensuring its 'bootable?

Thanks
  • NiftyDigits
    Just arrived in Thailand. I shouldn't be working.

So...let's see what you have done so far. You were supposed to have taken the HDD out and booted the machine up before you inserted the SSD into the machine or even opened up the packaging, but never mind, it's already done. :)

It appears that you aren't carrying out any of the steps, so in your next reply, you are asking me what to do all over again.

The bootable USB flash drive task was posted on the 11th of October, but yet I have no idea if you've yet completed it.
    Get on with it! :)

Once again.......

Windows 10 English International 32 bit

Windows 10 English International 64 bit

You need the 64 bit version.

No need to download either of these if you have already downloaded and saved an image earlier.

If you are not sure if you have created bootable USB Flash media correctly, you can use Rufus to create it for you.

You'll know if you have by plugging the finished drive into another PC and AutoRun opens offering options to install. If not;

Download and save Rufus. Plug USB drive in. Run Rufus.

Place ticks as shown here:

rufus_en.png

Choose ISO Image from the drop down list and then click on the icon to the right and navigate to where you saved the image and double click on the image to insert. The other options will set themselves. Then you can click on the Start button.

Of course you don't need to do this if you have already successfully created bootable USB Flash media.
  • Yes, sorry for that, there appeared to be so many steps suggested, that I got lost after knowing I should have done the 'bootable USB iso image file' (which would have been my next step(

But you mentioned that my HDD was crap and that ssd were better as there were no moving parts and it's better than spending £150-200 on a new laptop. So I went for this option.

I'll get to my parents computer later to try the above.

Thank you
  • As I have not downloaded a 'bootable iso file (just ISO file BEFORE I knew it had to be 'bootable), do you recommend I do the ISO or win 64 bit?
    I assume the latter given I have a new ssd added?
    Because I assumed an iso file was only really used for an existing corrupted HDD/ssd in place?
    Or am I wrong?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport