Water bill - 2 bed flat

Hi all, newbie here!

My boyfriend and I have just bought a 2 bedroom top floor flat and we are trying to work out our monthly budget before we move in. Please could you give some advice on what we can expect our average water bill to be?

I'm not sure whether our water is meter run or not so advice on both scenarios would be greatly appreciated.

Also, we're hoping to install a power shower when we move in, will this make a huge difference to our bills?

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Hi Rosie,

Google for your local water board to find out about their tarriffs. If you are not on a water meter, a power shower will make no difference. If you are, it will!

The present owners/your estate agent may be able to find out what the current bill is.

To give you some idea, my brother pays £40 a month unmetered water rates for a two bedroom house worth about £150,000 (Anglian Water) and his neighbour pays £12 a month on a meter. The family next door to him pay £55 a month on a meter.
  • jscalow
    jscalow Posts: 297 Forumite
    I used to pay £40pm and I live on my own in a 2 bed flat- I thought this was outrageous so I called southern water and asked for a meter- due to my renovated bathroom they were unable to install one, however I did get a discount which means I now pay £26pm.
    In your situation you should defintly ask for a meter, whatever happens it will cost you less than what you will pay without.
    Good luck for the move !
  • Thanks for the replies, your advice and suggestions are really helpful. Fingers crossed the bills will be managable!!
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Do you actually mean a 'power shower' or and electric shower?

I ask because some people state 'power' when the mean 'electric'.

A power shower needs to be run from a hot water tank, heated by other means, and needs a pump and special fittings in the shower.
  • I would gladly post a new thread but I do not see where???
    So, does anyone of you knows where I can get a statistics on average home water bill?
    It defies any logic that two of us spend as much as the whole street?
    or maybe am wrong???

any clues?

cheers
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    memyself wrote: »
    I would gladly post a new thread but I do not see where???
    So, does anyone of you knows where I can get a statistics on average home water bill?
    It defies any logic that two of us spend as much as the whole street?
    or maybe am wrong???

any clues?

cheers

The average consumption is approx 60 cubic metres per person per year. So for the 2 of you that is in the region of 60 cubic metres in the 6 months.

The cost of water and sewerage varies tremendously across the UK - from under £2 a cu metre to over £4(SW Water)

You need to see how much water you have used, and check if the start date or end date meter reading is estimated.

You could have a leak, be paying for other people's water.

If you post some details from your bill we can advise further.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure