How To Legally Stop Paying Your Tv Licence!

Comments

• CopperPlate_2
    CopperPlate_2 Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    I wonder if our MP's pay their own TV Licence...or is this another 'expense' that they can claim back, or should that be 'that we pay'? Just a thought, and quite topical really...
  • everybody has a right to there opinion,but the BBC often states that thet are world class,hell all the world class programs are sold to private broadcasting companys or BBC worldwide.. and they pay for american reality shows.they claim not to have adverts but they promote there selfs constantly. Growing up the BBC was brilliant, but i think it is past it' sell buy date
  • robin_banks
    robin_banks Posts: 15,778
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    wales4ever wrote: »
    everybody has a right to there opinion,but the BBC often states that thet are world class,hell all the world class programs are sold to private broadcasting companys or BBC worldwide.. and they pay for american reality shows.they claim not to have adverts but they promote there selfs constantly. Growing up the BBC was brilliant, but i think it is past it' sell buy date

still worth 39p a day.
    "An arrogant and self-righteous Guardian reading tvv@t".

!!!!!! is all that about?
  • I don't mind the Tv licence, but I would like a bit more say on how its is spent. The BBC do some really good stuff but they also do some really !!!!!! stuff as well.

Spend to much on presenters wages, make Eastenders, broadcast radio 1, the list could go on?!

Not to mention the lack of sports, I think if they dropped Radio 1 they could spend the money on broadcasting the rugby, football and cricket, aswell as more motorsport.
  • davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    aswell as more motorsport.

Well they do MotoGP and Formula 1.

• Well they do MotoGP and Formula 1.

That they do, but I was watching the Touring cars on sunday and it had all the support races it was great, I think the BBC needs to look at that. They should also look at the Rally and dirt bike / quad racing!
  • Actually, I approve of paying TV licence.:o

My little bear watches ceebeebies which is a channel with quality programming, much of it original, age specific and - really important - no adverts for little bear to start 'wanting' things.

Without the money from the TV licence we would be unlikely to have Last Night of the Proms or the Festival of Remembrance at the Albert Hall, at least in their current state. Even if you do not watch them, it is surely one of those things that would make the nation that bit lesser if they were not there.

The website for the BBC is amazing, and you can find all sorts on there - it was vital to me for info when I became pregnant.

The independent BBC has managed in the past to fund things like 'Life on Earth' which would be unthinkable for a commercial station, and how about Walking with Dinosaurs? That broke the ground for others to follow and has been a great boost to entertainment.

All political parties complain about BBC bias, which generally means that there isn't any overall bias.

The BBC produces Watchdog, which is frequently referred to on these boards, and which would be much harder to fund if advertisers were involved.

The BBC produces programmes that are not commercial, but that increase the value of life. There are really good programmes produced by commercial channels, for instance Time Team, and some of the stuff on Channel Four and Five are really good. However I think some of the viewing figures for Friends help fund those (isn't some of the money distributed pro-rata?). It is just that there are more quality documentaries from the BBC, due to the way their funding works, and you still have access to things like 'The World at War' and 'Ascent of Man'.

The BBC, because it is not answerable can take more risks, which occasionally produces a Jonathan Ross but sometimes produces shows like that of John Peel.

So, for less money than I would spend on a non-tabloid newspaper every day I get a great deal, and so do a lot of other people who wouldn't care less about Walking with Dinosaurs but really enjoy the rugby, or Radio One, or the Weakest Link, or the News, or Radio Three. I spend more on milk per month than I do on my TV licence.

So I don't mind paying :o

Little Bear ??!!
  • Her child.
  • jaredashe
    jaredashe Posts: 69 Forumite
    If the average person was given more say in the BBC then it would end up like ITV.

And nobody wants another ITV.
  • robin_banks
    robin_banks Posts: 15,778
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ITV dont want ITV.

BBC still worth 39p a day.
    "An arrogant and self-righteous Guardian reading tvv@t".

!!!!!! is all that about?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport