Receiving a large sum from overseas - Tax implications?

Comments

• Cook_County
    Cook_County Posts: 3,085
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    So your wife has UK CGT to address, and will either file on the arising or the remittance basis to report any gain or loss.
  • seeafish
    seeafish Posts: 14 Forumite
    So your wife has UK CGT to address, and will either file on the arising or the remittance basis to report any gain or loss.

Sorry, I'm really not familiar with the terminology. Arising and remittance??

Cheers.
  • Cook_County
    Forumite
    Does she report worldwide income and gains on her UK returns or limit herself to reporting UK income?
  • seeafish
    seeafish Posts: 14 Forumite
    Does she report worldwide income and gains on her UK returns or limit herself to reporting UK income?

Well she's been a student since she arrived here, and won't start working until early next year most likely, so no income so far.

She has no income coming from overseas either.

I guess if she had a job, she would report UK income only, as she does't have any overseas income.
  • Cook_County
    Forumite
    The first thing you need to do is figure out the gain under UK rules. Once you know what this is you can then decide if she wants to pay UK tax on it or not. Because she is not domiciled within the UK she could elect to claim the remittance basis and then only pay tax on the gain to the extent it is remitted to the UK.
  • hermante
    hermante Posts: 574
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    To save money on the transfer, see if the bank in Iran will let you convert to Pounds? Or even DKK and sending it to Denmark. Can the money be considered a gift from your father-in-law to you?
    CLAPTON wrote: »
    it's very unlikely that any vendor will accept an international transfer.

How do you explain the hordes of middle eastern and Chinese people buying up London then?
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    hermante wrote: »
    To save money on the transfer, see if the bank in Iran will let you convert to Pounds? Or even DKK and sending it to Denmark. Can the money be considered a gift from your father-in-law to you?

How do you explain the hordes of middle eastern and Chinese people buying up London then?

I would expect foreigners to transfer their money to a UK bank a/c and then buy the property from that UK bank a/c in UKPs.
  • MarcoM
    MarcoM Posts: 782
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    A sum that large is likely to trigger an investigation by the UK receiving bank. Google "money laundering" for further details.
    Not to mention that it will be over the £85K deposit guarantee.

I have no idea about the procedures in Iran, but Iran and "The West" are not on the best of terms at the moment, so the purpose of your wife's deposit might be "misconstrued".

[I had a colleague who was Argentinian - he had not worked there for 40 years, so it came as something of a shock when, during the "Falklands crisis" all his accounts were frozen, which included the one with his pay in it].

What sort of investigation would it trigger?
    Would they freeze the money till they are happy?

I think it is unfair for a bank to do so. So much for living in a free society....
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 29 August 2011 at 3:03AM
    .............Now smell the coffee.:D

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/productsandservices/practicenotes/aml.page

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/mlr/getstarted/intro.htm

Ah the good old days, when it took about five minutes to bounce into a Building Society and bounce out again with a new account.
  • MarcoM
    MarcoM Posts: 782
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    .............Now smell the coffee.:D

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/productsandservices/practicenotes/aml.page

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/mlr/getstarted/intro.htm

Ah the good old days, when it took about five minutes to bounce into a Building Society and bounce out again with a new account.

So if one were to receive a significant inheritance from abroad would it mean they would have their money frozen till the authorities are happy?
    Sounds like a dictatorship to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport