Warning and advice about LCS Utility Investigation Civil Enforcement Debt Recoveries

Options

Comments

• jenny54321
    jenny54321 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    i think that lcs are not very good at finding where people are !!

for example i had receiced a letter address to me which came to my tenants address which was for gas/elect used at my old address (about 7 days of use) meters were off and my ex decided to cancel his direct bedit so it generated a small bill for 7 days - they couldnt trace my ex so they passed it onto me the other home owner and didnt know my new address so it went to my tenant -
    Despite me having told British gas my new address and updated them on the meters on a regular basis - my solicitor and various others eg estate agents ect - i have several other accounts with british gas - eg boiler cover - so they know where i was !!!
    the bill was for 6 pounds i kindly left on the boiler to protect it from frost for 7 days hence a bill of 6 pounds plus a bill of 15 pounds to trace me - as if they didnt know !!
    sadly they billed ME and not my ex - men seem to get away with these things dont they ? they billed me as a new resident in the property where i no longer lived for a six day period even though i was (and paying British gas ) for a whole year at the new address - sadly the British gas got a bit mixed up with it i think but ive been onto them today and sorted it out ive also paid the debt on my card althought i have no money to pay it really am shocked as how they didnt now where i was and they sent to the TENANT at a totally different address ???
    Alos the new owner for the seven days after i no longer owned the property didnt give an elecrtic meter reading only gas grrr so it messed it up a bit

I would advise anyone to take pictures of the meter readings before they move out it sometimes helps a bit - and dont cancel the account until exchange of contracts has gone throgugh, i think my ex cancelled the account BEFORE the exchange as he was owed a lot of money from british gas as was paying direct bedit he cancelled 10 days prior to exchange - hence a stupid bill which came to the ex wife !!
    omg
    also their number for LCS is 0844 - so expensive to call but easy to pay on the phone - as this was a relatively small amout was ok but its the PRINCIPLE which wasnt right as they sent a letter to ME and not to my EX !!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    DCA's are the cow pat of all companies; they should be more tightly regulated, anyone working for a DCA should be ashamed of themselves. Having said all that I do get a perverse pleasure in dealing with them: leaving them hanging on the phone while I 'look' for the person they want, thanking them for paying my alleged debt when it's been sold, then stating I don't have a contract with them; it all works and I haven't paid a penny to any DCA. Stand up to these morons!
  • jenny54321
    jenny54321 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    after spending all day on the phone to british gas fro 11 until 8pm many times and having a 55 minute call time wait at the complaints dept - i actually got hold of the original paperwork now the ex cancelled his direct debit on 16th - contracts were exchanged on the 18th - when i called up with the final meters on 24th they had only moved up one notch for gas electic stayed the same becasue i put the boiler onto frost protection - so for one notch of gass they changed 23.90 assuming someone had moved in and out in 6 days (me) i know when i called them with the final meter reads on 24 they said that the account had already be sorted and was cancelled at it was all ok and they had the final meter readings which were the same aprart form the one notch of gas - that becasue the ex called them on 18 to cancel and the bill arrived giving him a lot of money back as he was paying a full wack on an empty house.

im mortified as to how they did it - but the nice lady at british gas complaints seems to have got it it hand now - this is the 4th time i have had to complain to british gas about different matters. this biling was on the old system so there was no daily service charge for a switched off service - unlike some of the newer accounts when you pay a daily charge even though your not using - having had a word with br today as well they say that you can actually have your meters taken out when the property is empty and you dont need anything on - i think they have had to do that due to the number of complaints - they will be charging us for air next. No problem with unitied utilities here or the council tax - althought the council tax did send a cheque addressed to my ex to my new address even thougth the bill had been in my name and i had paid it myslef - so not sure if they need their heads examining on that - i also got a lettter addressed to my ex to my new address for a survey even though this property doesnt belong to him at all -
    i would also be careful if you want to change gas supplier as it takes them weeks to change over in the meantime your innundated with having to give meter readings and letters from the previous suppliers begging you to change back to them - this is what i did and they changed back but it went wrong and i got double billed - had to sort it with e on and british gas higher complaints dept - absolite headace - that was 3 yrs ago.
  • loud_silence
    Options
    Hi,

I just thought i would give a small insight into what this company is like, although i am sure many of you already know. Also please do not judge me for working for such a company, we all have to pay bills. i worked in debt collection and this company for about 8/9 months and left because its such a horrible field to work in.

DO NOT PHONE THEM! You will most likely be put through to a rude , condescending person. The way that i heard employees speak to customers on the phone is quite shocking. They all work to targets , all different depending on how long the employee had been in the company, ranging from collection of £1000 - £30000, if you do not make your targets then you are sacked , therefore you have to be agressive in tactics to get the money.

do not communicate with them at all and definitely do not complain to them, the complaints manager is like no other. I have witnessed him red in the face , shouting down the phone at people many a time.

when i first joined my team leader had been there for about 3-6 months , no less than 2 months later, she went home ill at lunch time and never returned. Just an insight into how this place is like!

they will wreck your credit rating and anyone that is connected to you, just to ge the information or money that they want. they will use anyone that is connected to you to write you a letter or make a phone call. It would not be unusual for me to call a number on a case and it would be the person named ex girlfriend from a number of years ago etc.

i can only suggest to complain to the head of complaints at the energy company ALWAYS IN WRITING. if no luck complain to the ombusman. Do not speak to the energy companies on the telephone , they never do as they say.

One further point is that LCS/First Locate/Levi Black will say that they cannot remove any footprint etc from your credit rating, this is not true, in the complaint to the energy company, demand that they tell LCS to remove it and they will.

Thank you for reading.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 June 2013 at 10:30PM
    Options
    As you know this happened to me 2 years ago in 2011. But nothing came of it as LCS realized that the mistake was due to British Gas's error and so they closed the case.

Though this is not the only problem I had with British Gas.
    As they made a mistake and set up a direct debit for another customer using my bank details see threads here-
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4625451

And also here-
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4583881&highlight=

I have never had any problems with any other company I pay my bills to,only British Gas. First 2 years ago they went behind my back and got the debts people onto me for a debt I did not even owe. It was only when my landlords,the Council gave me a letter to say I had moved out of my old address long ago that LCS let it go. But it was British Gas that put the debts agency onto me in the first place. See post here-
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2983648&highlight=

First that now this problem,with British Gas taking multiple direct and unauthorized direct debits out of my account without my consent. Because one of their customer service advisers set up a direct debit for another customer using my bank details by mistake.

Although British gas say they have now deleted my bank details,and since then there have been no more direct debits taken from my bank account. I am still emotionally scarred by my experiences with British Gas.

I should have left British Gas a long time ago after what happened 2 years ago. I am now looking for another ES as British Gas have given me a lot of trouble. And all of mine and other peoples problems seem to come from British Gas. As I have said it's only British Gas who have treated me badly no one else. I think it's disgusting that they are even allowed to deal with the public. British Gas should be locked up in prison for what they have done to me and other innocent people. So the answers is simple-I think I and anyone else who is with British Gas should get away from them and get another ES.
  • edwin9211
    Options
    Widelats
    Thankz alot mate.. it helped me alot.. i was confused with the letter and was about to fill in their form..
    thankz a lot for posting the matter in detail, now i can expect what these guys will throw at me in the future :)
  • sneakygloworm
    Options
    I have just received a letter from LCS asking for a UTILITY INVESTIGATION. I did not realize (until I found people talking about them here) that they were debt collectors.The letter was so vague, I sent the following reply via e-mail :-

Hello,

I have received a vague and rather threatening letter from a "Kelly Jackson" asking for details of owners and previous owners of my property. My mother always warned me never to talk to strange people and this seems very strange to me.

I have to refuse, on this occasion, to give you any information until you send me a full overview of what exactly it is you want from me and why you want it. Until then, I will send no information to you.

What is a "Utility Investigation" ?

Why are you investigating it?

Why do you need names of previous owners?

What do you do that my utility suppliers cannot do?

If this is an investigation, why are you putting Mastercard, visa, delta and maestro logo's on your letter?

I'm not sure who is in charge of writing these letters but perhaps they could do with some more training. The letter reads like a cheap scam to me.

For your information, the reference no. is xxxxxxxx

I am sure you understand my position. I will not even telephone you.

I look forward to receiving your large information pack in the post.

Many thanks

unfortunately, my full name was sent with the e-mail. I guess I will now begin receiving nasty threats, etc. I previously lived at my parents house and since living at my new address I have a totally clean record. I actually headed the e-mail "Phishy..." because I suspect this to be shot in the dark by them. Time will tell i guess...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Please tell us you used a disposable email address?
  • purplehearts79
    Options
    Hi everyone this is my first time posting so appologies if this is not the right place.
    I have received a couple of letters from this company over the last few weeks.
    apparently i owe Scottish Hydro money from back in 2011 at my previous address.
    I have no idea where this debt has come from as i changed supplier 3 months before moving house and had paid my final bill, now over 2 years later i get a letter from debt collection company.
    Have heard absolutely nothing from scottish hydro...why did they contact me at my old address if i was still due them money?
    Tried to call the number on the letter a few times to speak to someone but it is an answering machine. left a message and nobody calls back.
    then gets another letter threatening to take me to court and make me bankrupt. can they do that when i can't even get to speak to someone to find out what is going on in the first place?
    thanks.
  • Widelats
    Widelats Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone this is my first time posting so appologies if this is not the right place.
    I have received a couple of letters from this company over the last few weeks.
    apparently i owe Scottish Hydro money from back in 2011 at my previous address.
    I have no idea where this debt has come from as i changed supplier 3 months before moving house and had paid my final bill, now over 2 years later i get a letter from debt collection company.
    Have heard absolutely nothing from scottish hydro...why did they contact me at my old address if i was still due them money?
    Tried to call the number on the letter a few times to speak to someone but it is an answering machine. left a message and nobody calls back.
    then gets another letter threatening to take me to court and make me bankrupt. can they do that when i can't even get to speak to someone to find out what is going on in the first place?
    thanks.

No they can't, do as everyone else does with this bully campaign and bin your letters.
    Owed out = lots. :cool:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure