Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    • 3,570Posts
    • 18,249Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Looking for the silver lining
    • 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    Looking for the silver lining 8th Mar 13 at 8:30 AM
    Well I'm back! After clearing my debt in 2010 and staying debt free for a couple of years I'm now back to square one. Mainly due to OH's work being so erratic (he is a sub contractor in the building trade). He has weeks at a time with no work and when he does get work the pays not great - but anything is better than nothing. My wages cover the bills and food thankfully but nothing else.

Anyway a combination of OH not bringing much in and not budgeting properly has led to me building up credit card debt again (thankfully at 0%) of 5368.95

I have realised that the only way to stay on top of things is to stick to a budget. What we were doing before is spending the money before we had it on a credit card and then clearing it at the end of the month. But OH can be at work one day and laid off the next so we didn't always have the money to cover what we'd spent and this is where we have been going wrong and how the debt has built up again by me having to transfer it to a 0% card.

What's happening now is I'm trying to stay on top of things by having a "pot" of money in my monthly budget and sticking to that. Once I have cracked this then it should be easy to stay out of debt when it's paid off.

At the end of the month whatever OH has earned is split as follows:

50% is for petrol, OH's work expenses/mobile phone, and anything else we need that month

25% is for holidays (I know we shouldn't be having holidays whilst in debt but they keep us smiling through the uncertainty)

25% is for paying off the debt and when this is paid off this will become savings.

So far I've stuck to this for two months. It's hard at times but this is the only way to do it. Should OH not bring anything in one month then I'm afraid we'll have to dip into what little savings we have in our emergency fund. BUT NO MORE ADDING TO THE DEBT!!!

Currently the debt is split between two cards:

Barclaycard 1800 0% until September 2013 -so this must be paid off first

Halifax 3568.95 0% until 2015 - so a bit more breathing space on this one but still want it paid off asap.

I'm doing the grocery challenge and the virtual sealed pot and doing well with this. The VSP will pay for Christmas.

Decided to do a new diary as it helped so much last time - so here I go again on my second debt-free journey. Determined this will be the last time.
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Virtual Sealed Pot 118.96
    Weight loss
    FEB AFD 5/12 NSD 7/8
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
Page 191
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 25th Feb 17, 10:09 PM
    • 4,842 Posts
    • 13,292 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Oh no hope he didn't sulk all night, nothing worse than sulky husbands worse than the kids IMO xx
    Mummytogirls x

23164.32 - 12/12/10
    8453.84 - 02/02/17 - 63.50% paid off
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 26th Feb 17, 1:59 PM
    • 3,570 Posts
    • 18,249 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    No he didn't sulk all night thankfully. I told him he's too old to sulk. He's still a bit stroppy today though and was sat with his hood up earlier.

Took the dog out for the first time in ages, only to the shop and Mr SA came on his scooter, made him go a fair distance ahead. Yes he retrieved the charger from the top of the cupboard.

Going to have another stint in the gym shortly.
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss
    FEB AFD 5/12 NSD 7/8
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 27th Feb 17, 5:14 PM
    • 3,570 Posts
    • 18,249 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Monday again Time is flying but hurrah payday tomorrow

Actually finished work on time today and caught the earlier bus home. Won't bother again, waited ages for it then it was packed and crawled all the way. Didn't get home that much earlier than when I do working an extra 30 minutes. Got soaked in torrential rain too.

Wanted to get home earlier to ring building society about re-mortgage as I'm sure the quotes will be in soon. Got it sorted over the phone, just need to fill in paperwork and return. Will start paying in April, went for 24k but have the option to add to if need more. 221 a month over 10 years, so affordable even on just my wages although we'll have to tighten our belts slightly. So we'll have a mortgage again but we'll be able to get the work done. We can overpay though without penalty if we want to - I say we, Mr SA has nothing to do with the finances, never has done.

Another NSD today 7/8. Can I hit my target of 8/8 tomorrow? I'll certainly try! Don't even ask about the AFDs, totally lost the plot with them. However, this is mainly because I've had wine left over from the weekend and it's been there in the fridge shouting me. But having said that today and tomorrow will be AFDs as no wine left in the house at all.

To try and make meal planning easier and more structured I decided to do the following:
    Monday - meat free Monday
    Tuesday - use up something from the freezer/cupboard that's been hanging around a bit
    Wednesday - something nice (eg roast for Mr SA)
    Thursday - something quick as I usually go to WW and will be returning to it when my ankle lets me do the very steep hill up and down to it
    Friday - fish Friday
    Saturday - Saturday night fake-away
    Sunday - roast or steak for Mr SA

Trying to fool Mr SA into a meat free Monday, he's not too happy about it, I don't eat meat anyway so not a problem for me, but he is a total carnivore. So we have pizza and salad tonight as a compromise.
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss
    FEB AFD 5/12 NSD 7/8
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 27th Feb 17, 7:59 PM
    • 4,842 Posts
    • 13,292 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Boooo to you not getting home much earlier SA. Glad you managed to make your phone call though. How exciting about your refurbishments, it will look great when its all done.

Food plan sounds good xx
    Mummytogirls x

23164.32 - 12/12/10
    8453.84 - 02/02/17 - 63.50% paid off
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,070Posts Today

11,089Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Good morning & goodbye. Now my series is over, I'm going to take a week off work & twitter to spend time with Mrs & mini MSE. Ta ta for now

• RT @JulieGriff4: £2800 paid into my bank thanks to @MartinSLewis advice about packaged accounts. Unexpected and welcome. Great advice ????

• RT @justwanna: Listened to an hour's worth of @MartinSLewis podcasts. Now have a pathological need to save some money!

• Follow Martin