PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Does anyone have a wool duvet?

Comments

• ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 25 September 2016 at 12:22PM
    Apologies if I've missed it but is there a reason for not going for a down/feather and down duvet rather than wool as an alternative to microfibre? Many of us have said how much we like them and they cost considerably less.

Feather is great but in my experience you need to go with a fairly high end down for it to be any good (down over feather)- and then you're talking c.£100 (around the same price as a wool).

Plus, I've got a lovely kingsize down duvet (was a going to uni present from my grandmother). It can't be washed (or it can be, but can't be dried) which is uneconomic and impractical, it's not ageing well (the feathers break and turn to dust) and it clumps - and the feathers come out in the corner (90% down 10% small feather).

Given you can get a Baavet one in the bargain box for c.£70 - and they have a no-quible 30 day return policy (saying you should actually use it and if you don't like it after sleeping with it send it back) it's a no brainer for me.

Bargain box - http://www.baavet.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=61

But - everyone's different. :A

I've heard good things about silk.
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • I bought a wool duvet 3 years ago because of allergies, its my best investment ever!
    Its a summer weight one as I get hot,easy to wash and dry. Mine came from devon duvets and is brilliant!
    Caz
    Saving for another hound :j
    :staradmin from Sue-UU
    SPC no 031 SPC 9 £1211, SPC 8 £1027 SPC 7 £937.24, SPC 6 £973.4 SPC 5 £1949, SPC 4 £904.67 SPC 4 £980.27
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    I'm thinking that maybe I'd be better off with a light one as I get hot easily during the night, not helped by the onset of menopause. I currently use a 4 tog summer quilt even during the winter.

Does anyone else use a light one? Are they sufficiently warm enough?
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    ariarnia wrote: »
    Feather is great but in my experience you need to go with a fairly high end down for it to be any good (down over feather)- and then you're talking c.£100 (around the same price as a wool).

Plus, I've got a lovely kingsize down duvet (was a going to uni present from my grandmother). It can't be washed (or it can be, but can't be dried) which is uneconomic and impractical, it's not ageing well (the feathers break and turn to dust) and it clumps - and the feathers come out in the corner (90% down 10% small feather).

Given you can get a Baavet one in the bargain box for c.£70 - and they have a no-quible 30 day return policy (saying you should actually use it and if you don't like it after sleeping with it send it back) it's a no brainer for me.

Bargain box - http://www.baavet.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=61

But - everyone's different. :A

I've heard good things about silk.

I've got a silk mattress topper from Soak&Sleep - I've only just found out that it has to be dry cleaned!
  • oh dear! re the dry cleaning missbiggles. That is one thing I never do, those fumes and chemicals plus expense. I have tried various mattress toppers starting with memory foam, big mistake as I got hotter and hotter and hated the smell from the foam. I tried qvc northern nights topper made from feathers and was good for a month or so, when the feathers started breaking and clumping. Now I just use the woolroom mattress topper/bed protector and I get perfect temperature control and comfort. I just love pure wool. The pillows are a revelation. They are filled with little curly bits and you can take out and add if you want to change pillow height. I also love the fact that they are not allergenic and I easily wash them on a cool wool wash in my machine

Yes woolroom are expensive but I did get what I paid for and I like to buy British too
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    kittie wrote: »

Yes woolroom are expensive but I did get what I paid for and I like to buy British too

I don't think the Woolroom are strictly British. I've been scouring their website to try find out where they source the wool and they don't actually say. The only comment relating to source I can find is...

"From 2008 until 2012 we continued to develop our product range scouring the UK and beyond for the finest wool products and we continued to show these product ranges and refine our identity through an online presence and consumer shows."
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,028 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    From http://www.thewoolroom.com/product/deluxe-wool-mattress-topper/

Construction
    1,000gsm, 100% Platinum Certified, Washable British Wool

Would an electric blanket go underneath or on top of a topper?
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Gers wrote: »
    Would an electric blanket go underneath or on top of a topper?

On top of the topper but under the sheet (and under you, of course).
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • room512
    room512 Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    I'm thinking that maybe I'd be better off with a light one as I get hot easily during the night, not helped by the onset of menopause. I currently use a 4 tog summer quilt even during the winter.

Does anyone else use a light one? Are they sufficiently warm enough?

I think ours is a 4 tog one and it's plenty warm enough. I was concerned we'd need a different one in the winter but it kept us nice and cosy.
  • Loanranger
    Loanranger Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    I use my down duvets as mattress toppers. In the summer I use the winter duvets underneath to sleep on, and in the winter I use the summer duvets underneath to sleep on. Saves on storage space. I have a collection of down duvets, one dating back to 1980 which I still use.
    I think mattress toppers are a waste of money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure