Help me someone please, TAX code BW....

lukasnezinomas
lukasnezinomas Posts: 5 Forumite
edited 4 November 2010 at 1:12AM in Cutting tax
Hellow everyone, i am in england just for 3 weeks and started working to my first job by agence STAFWISE, and today i got my first payslip with BW tax code, so its very sad becouse i dont have no other job and i am new in this country :/ i got 180 - 44 pounds for taxes... so if someone could help me how to change this tax code, i would be very thankfull...

Comments

• LSEdwards
    LSEdwards Posts: 129 Forumite
    Hellow everyone, i am in england just for 3 weeks and started working to my first job by agence STAFWISE, and today i got my first payslip with BW tax code, so its very sad becouse i dont have no other job and i am new in this country :/ i got 180 - 44 pounds for taxes... so if someone could help me how to change thi tax code, i would be very thankfull...

You need to ask your employer (I assume the agency if they ar paying you) to submit a form p46 to their tax office. This asks some fairly basic questions (you need to sign it). If you satisfy certain conditions this will allow them to not deduct tax from your wages. You will have to pay some NI if you are above the threshold for weekly earnings. They probably should have done this before paying you for the first time. Once your employer changes your tax code on their PAYE system you should get back the tax you have paid in your next pay.
  • LSEdwards wrote: »
    You need to ask your employer (I assume the agency if they ar paying you) to submit a form p46 to their tax office. This asks some fairly basic questions (you need to sign it). If you satisfy certain conditions this will allow them to not deduct tax from your wages. You will have to pay some NI if you are above the threshold for weekly earnings. They probably should have done this before paying you for the first time. Once your employer changes your tax code on their PAYE system you should get back the tax you have paid in your next pay.

thank you very much for answearing, but can the agency change my tax code immediatly? or I will need to wait for a new tax year... ? :(
  • LSEdwards
    LSEdwards Posts: 129 Forumite
    They can change it immediately if you provide them with a signed P46.
    thank you thank you thank you !
  • Not enough information to give accurate advice. Which country have you come from and are you only staying for 3 weeks? You may not be due a personal tax free allowance in which case code BR will be correct.
    If it's an agency, they'll invariably be too lazy / incompetent to do this and will wait for a code to come from the tax office.
  • Not enough information to give accurate advice. Which country have you come from and are you only staying for 3 weeks? You may not be due a personal tax free allowance in which case code BR will be correct.

From Lithuania, I came to England 15 October, and I am working for second week..
  • As you are from an EU country, then you are due persona allowances. You need to follow the instructions here:
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/tax-arrive-uk.htm
  • SO i filled a 46 form and now i am waiting for changes ? how long it can take ? and can i get back my money in the near future? Or i will need to wait till new tax year ?
  • You will need to refer to the HMRC instructions which I have provided a link to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure