PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

HSBC chamgig conveyancing rules

Comments

• Richard - don't, as HSBC get what they desire, all their customers using their panel for both borrowing and buying....and selling. Conveyancing then is dealt with by unknown factory outfits with clients treated like a number - and done by a firm on such a low fee that equal low attention by non- qualifieds...in great numbers

But won't there be a backlash as dissatisfied clients complain to HSBC about how awful the conveyancing service was?
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • HSBC limiting the panel of accepted mortgage conveyancers flies in the face of everything that the recent Legal Services Act sought to achieve- better service for customers and increased access to justice. I find it difficult to see how HSBC could possibly think that cutting down their panel to 43 conveyancing organisations could meet the needs of the UK consumer.
    Solicitors are up in arms, seeking assistance from the Law Society, under the impression that they will be put out of business. They need to remember their focus should be the consumer!
  • Interested to hear from some buyers what their experiences are of having one of the "Panel" of 43 act for them.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • propertyman
    propertyman Posts: 2,922 Forumite
    They say you are getting old when things come round again- when I started in the 80's the above is exactly how it used to be! :D

Plus ca change....
    Stop! Think. Read the small print. Trust nothing and assume that it is your responsibility. That way it rarely goes wrong.
    Actively hunting down the person who invented the imaginary tenure, "share freehold";
    if you can show me one I will produce my daughter's unicorn
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,690
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    They say you are getting old when things come round again- when I started in the 80's the above is exactly how it used to be! :D

Plus ca change....
    Moi aussi.

Two solicitors. Nothing but standard variable rate. Half a percent extra for interest-only...

Them were the days. And I'm "only" 46!
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Interested to hear from some buyers what their experiences are of having one of the "Panel" of 43 act for them.

Me too, although since it's only for new instructions, time will tell. We already know the reputation of certain members of the conveyancing panel, but it will be interesting to hear who is chosen to make up the rest!
  • auroan
    auroan Posts: 241 Forumite
    Well, as expected my house purchase is being delayed by HSBC.... Took them two weeks just to assign a solictor to talk to my solictor.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,690
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    So the first case we hear about of the 43 possibles is... Countrywide, the HSBC panel manager.

Why aren't I surprised?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Countrywide recently wrote to me on a flat sale to ask for Tree Preservation Order, for goodness sake.

Oh but it is very important - it might affect the amount of service charge in the future when some work needs doing to the trees - just like the type of lawnmower the gardener uses and its service costs might affect the service charge - they'll be asking about that next!
    RICHARD WEBSTER

• betmunch
    betmunch Posts: 3,126 Forumite
    Are you a poker player Timmyt? I dont think you knew when the cat flap was oiled, thats got "Bluff" written all over it!!!

:)
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure