Disabled person deeply concerned with fire from his second floor flat?

Comments

• trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    tacpot12 wrote: »
    Does his block have a central fire alarm, or a sprinkler system?

How certain is he that his flat is fully seperate from neighbouring flats? This is something he could raise with the landlord.

Does his flat have a 60 minute fire door at its entrance? The landlord may be prepared to upgrade to 60 minutes if the current door is only rated to 30 minutes. Are the smoke seals on any fire door in good order?

Most private landlords are not fire safety experts and might only assess the risks from an able-bodied person's point of view.

Morning Tacpot12, unfortunately no, there is no overhead sprinkler system in place in his block, and there is also no alarm system. There is a hevey intercom door at the entrance of the block, so I assume that is a fire door. Not sure on the seals, worth a thought though. I suspect your right in regards to viewing from a able persons view point. Thank you for your contribution, very helpful
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • trinidadone
    B_G_B wrote: »
    I am a wheelchair user and have recently had a home visit from my local fire brigade. I think that most (all) fire brigades will do this as a free service. Well worth it.

Again, another piece of valuable advise, thank you
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    yes you are being judgement, and I am "surprised" your doing that!! no idea why, maybe your trolling. Its a colleague, not a friend, and yes it does have a baring on how long the disability is, and how long he "loved" there. Let me educate you............ His needs are different from before, so his fire exit plan has now changed, base on his disability. What he could do before, he is unable to now. As you can read from the first post, he uses crutches when exiting his home. Because of this, he is currently unable to use stairs, and again as mentioned before, he has been advised not to use the lift.

This is why I thought I would post here on his behalf.
    Firstly as i said before i was NOT judging!! secondly i'm not a troll for your info!! You wouldn't use a lift in case of an emergency anyway. Why don't you just find the door and leave quietly...
  • trinidadone
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Firstly as i said before i was NOT judging!! secondly i'm not a troll for your info!! You wouldn't use a lift in case of an emergency anyway. Why don't you just find the door and leave quietly...

If your not judging or a troll, leave me alone. I am not finding any of your posts helpful or related to the original question.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Fire brigades have lists of vulnerable residents, I found my way on to the local list for one reason but apparently should have been on it for another as well. They do i think 3 yearly visits, your colleagues could ask the local brigade to visit and advise.
  • trinidadone
    w06 wrote: »
    Fire brigades have lists of vulnerable residents, I found my way on to the local list for one reason but apparently should have been on it for another as well. They do i think 3 yearly visits, your colleagues could ask the local brigade to visit and advise.

Great advice again, did you just contact your local station, or a national number?
  • Following recent tragic events my bet is that within the next 12 months all 4200 social housing tower blocks will be fitted with sprinkler systems.
  • trinidadone
    The London Borough of council has announced today, it will fit all of its blocks of ten floors or more with a retro sprinkling system

https://wp.croydon.gov.uk/news/croydon-council-to-install-fire-sprinklers-in-tallest-housing/
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,664 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    "Lifts are usually prohibited during an emergency evacuation, which means alternative methods must be arranged for transporting wheelchair users safely out of the building. This can involve using specific evacuation lifts, moving wheelchairs users horizontally to another fire compartment within the building, using evacuation chairs or employing ‘carry-down’ procedures, which involve carrying someone in a wheelchair up or down a set of stairs".

The issue your friend will have with the majority of the above methods are that they require other people to support in order to utilise them. They can be cumbersome and are more often used in places where designated people are available to help. So your friend may still need to wait somewhere safe e.g. behind a 60 minute door for the fire brigade to arrive. This (whilst not reassuring following the recent fire) is not unusual in settings such as care homes where it is neither practical or possible for staff to get people with mobility or other issues out quickly and safely.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    I didn't arrange mine, I'm on home oxygen and so was automatically added to the list somehow but jjust looked on our local Fire Service site and there's this:

https://www.cheshirefire.gov.uk/public-safety/book-a-home-safety-check

edit to add google your local fire service and vulnerable or safety check
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family