appropriate internet compensation

Hi all,
Just wanting a quick bit of advice regarding adequate compensation for faulty broadband service if possible please?

I am currently with talktalk, since January our internet has been persistently cutting out 5+ times a day for about 5mins at a time before re-connecting.

I have spent in excess of 40 hours on the phone to them/live help, going through hundreds of different settings/channel changes/replacement routers etc

Have had to take 5 days off work for talktalk and BT to come out, 2 of which noone turned up so I took the day off for no benefit. They both denied any problems so continued with random trouble shooting options.

Eventually last week BT were up the pole sorting someone elses internet out and noticed our cable was really loose, and have since fixed the problem

I have had so many managers promise call backs which haven't materialsed and spent more hours than I wish to calculate trying to resolve this issue. When finally calling up I was offered £38 compensation for the 5 months with faulty internet. I expressed my concerns and they have upped it by £5 for the inconvience of my phone calls/taking 5 days off work. Which again I think is ridiculous given I am paying £17/month for a service I haven't received.

I have said I would like it re-escalating back to the complaints team and am awaiting call back but was just wondering what would be considered appropriate compensation for the 40+ hours of phone calls and the 25 hours we have had to take off work for their engineers?

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    What does it say in your SLA?
  • sazdes
    sazdes Posts: 108 Forumite
    how do I find/obtain that? Thanks!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    sazdes wrote: »
    how do I find/obtain that? Thanks!

Google might get you the answer you seek.
  • sazdes
    is there supposed to be something specific I should add in the search other than SLA talktalk as that just brings up loads of talktalk forum messages with people also asking how to obtain a copy of it?
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    They don't have to offer you anything, but obviously if they do make you an offer you deem unacceptable you could always resort to the small claims courts,
    If you had no service at all, personally I would say their total 'liability' would be 5x the monthly fee, so about £85, they have offered £43, about half, you say the service worked some of the time , just cutting off (inconvenient but not a total loss), would a court see this as fair ?
    Their T&C's specifically state they are not liable for lost time, lost business etc., but they can say what they want, it's can always be challenged, but successfully ?
    https://www.talktalk.co.uk/legal/terms/talktalk-product-terms.html
    If you get to the point where they say that's as far as they will go, your choice is accept or small claims court
  • sazdes
    thanks, my main issue was the time it has taken to resolve it (and hence how much time has been wasted calling them up on at least a 3x weekly basis, with their suggestions actually making the problem worse plus waiting in for engineers, waiting for manager phonecalls that never occur etc), rather than the dropping connection itself (we've just become so used to having it cut out continually given how long it has gone on far and just reset the router as needed)

if BT had actually looked at our line correctly in the first place (when they came out nearly 4 months ago) then I wouldn't have had to waste so much of my life, plus my partner wasting 5 days of loss of income to wait in for them to turn up, or not half the time) - do they have a claim against BT for not doing their job properly, or could I take it up with them?

I wouldn't go to small claims over it, I've wasted far too much of my life on that company now and will be leaving as soon as my 12m contract is up next month, I just thought it was amazing to offer so little (£5) for the total inconvienence and aggravation they have caused me over the last 5 months
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You mention BT, but it's nothing to do with 'BT', Openreach supply TT with the network that TT use to supply you...TT get compensated by OR automatically when service is affected due to OR's network, you have no claim against OR, TT do, but TT have probably already received compo from OR
    As far as not turning up, BT Consumer ( nothing to do with OR) offer compo for missed appointments, you would have to check with TT if they also do this, but the compo they have offered may already include this.
    As you say, if OR had fixed the issue on the first attempt a lot of this could have been avoided, but TT do the initial fault diagnosis, and if they had you playing with the router etc, it would seem that the problem wasn't obviously an OR line plant problem , and unfortunatly lines that have intermittent faults, but test ok, can be hard to fix,
  • sazdes
    iniltous wrote: »
    You mention BT, but it's nothing to do with 'BT', Openreach supply TT with the network that TT use to supply you...TT get compensated by OR automatically when service is affected due to OR's network, you have no claim against OR, TT do, but TT have probably already received compo from OR
    As far as not turning up, BT Consumer ( nothing to do with OR) offer compo for missed appointments, you would have to check with TT if they also do this, but the compo they have offered may already include this.
    As you say, if OR had fixed the issue on the first attempt a lot of this could have been avoided, but TT do the initial fault diagnosis, and if they had you playing with the router etc, it would seem that the problem wasn't obviously an OR line plant problem , and unfortunatly lines that have intermittent faults, but test ok, can be hard to fix,

It was just total chaos - half of the talktalk people I spoke to said they could "definitely see a fault on the outside line and it was nothing to do with the router" hence sent OR out to start with.

OR said there was nothing wrong with it and hence talktalk started playing with the router. They then concluded that wasn't resolving it so sent talktalk out x2, who said there was nothing wrong with either the router nor the outside line.

I chased up the outcome of OR visiting - one agent said there was never a problem with the outside line so didn't know why OR were asked to viist (despite 3 other agents reporting it is showing up as a line fault), the next one I spoke to said OR said the line was fine and there was no issue, the 3rd said there was a problem but OR fixed it and its cured. It was like playing chinese whispers and was only actually fixed by chance.

They don't communicate with each other very well or clearly don't document anything they are telling the customers which made the situation even more frustrating as every time you'd phone they wouldn't trust what the previous advisor had checked to date and wanted to start again from scratch wasting another hour of my time with each phone call

In terms of missed visits I have had once where it was OR didn't turn up and the 2nd time it was talktalk that didn't turn up. Plus at least 10 phone calls booked with managers which didn't materialise (which I rearranged my evenings around as they refused to go through any trouble shooting with my partner so I had to be sat indoors for their 2 hour time frames)
  • I had far fewer problems than you, mainly involving a penalty on leaving which shouldn't have applied, and I was offered £50 compensation.

My approach was to submit a complaint to OFCOM and send my complaint to

Head of Complaints - CEO's Office
    TalkTalk Group
    P.O. Box 344, Unit 19, Southampton, SO30 2NP

which is the address from the TT website.

I was seeking £100. The lady I spoke to said she couldn't offer that. I asked what the most she could agree to was, and she said £50. Of course she may have been lying but I was ok with £50 to bring the saga to a close.

So, in brief, you deserve more. Good luck.
  • sazdes
    thanks! - Their complaints team are ringing me tomorrow morning (current compensation was offered by fault management) so will see what they say if not I'll write in
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure