Funding to take a CSCS card test

Hi my brother in law is looking to take a health and safety test to acquire the CSCS card so he can get back working as a general labourer (sorry a construction site operative, must use the right title!!!). Queston is can he go to the job centre or any goverment scheme to ask for the money to get the test and the CSCS wants he has passed the test which would be in total about £42.50 which with him being on Job Seekers allowance is a hefty sum to pay out in one go especially as is doesnt totally guarantee him a job all be it a better cahnce as at the moment there is a lot of rejuvenation going on in out town. SO is there a way he could apply to get the funding toget this CSCS card.
thanks to all the advice that will hopefully come.

Comments

• Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The only industry funding that I know of is the CITB grants, that are paid to the employer.

However, a lot of training providers run ESF [European Social Fund] projects which will assist and reimburse the costs - alot of them in construction are ideally looking to get people into the industry; my sister company runs one at the moment.

Whereabouts are you? I know of several projects in various locations and might be able to point you in the right direction. If you PM me a location, I'll see what I can find.

If you don't want to PM me, and why should you - try all your local Job Centre Pluses for construction related projects that they are involved with.

Also, call the CITB [now called ConstructionSkills] office near you and ask them if they have any Academies nearby, again these are primarily supposed to get LOCAL people on site and should be able to help you.

For info: I worked at CITB/ConstructionSkills in Management for over 7 years and one of my best pals there is in total charge of the H&S test that you speak of; so I do know what I am talking about!
  • ukdickie31
    ukdickie31 Posts: 522 Forumite
    If B-in-L is on JSA and has been continuously for 6 months without a break, he can enquire about the Adviser Discretion Fund.

Link below to give more detail

Read points 1 to 5.. the rest is recording and accounting processes which is all internal processes.

Remember there is no right to receive. It is not a benefit and the adviser can say no, even if you fit in the qualification criteria.

(link takes you to the National Archives website - click Agree to get the document).

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ERORecords/LAB/29/781/174/
  • Zazen999
    Forumite
    I've PMed you the nearest contacts to your BIL's location.
  • corsa
    corsa Posts: 49 Forumite
    I had the same problem.I went for my cscs card from jobcentre when i was claiming jca and all they said was you have to pay for the cscs card test etc.But if you take 1 of the following courses maths/I.T/english or something along those subjects.Then if you pass you get to take the cscs test free.Was to much hassle for me so i didnt bother doing it but if anyone knows diffrent please pm me.
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
  • ukdickie31
    ukdickie31 Posts: 522 Forumite
    Corsa

The JC probably referred you to an Intermediary - ie an outside organisation who have ready access to funding. They get their funding when basic qualifications are gained by a person.

The JC can only help as per my post at Post 3.
  • bargain_2
    bargain_2 Posts: 231 Forumite
    Any one know what questions they ask when taking this test.
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,798
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I did the CSCS managers part, and passed.

You need to get the correct book, and revise the relevant sections, my test was carried out in a local hotel car park, in a specially converted lorry! a touch screen type test, question then it showed 4 answers and you had to select the right one from what I can remember 40 questions in 45 mins.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • Zazen999
    Forumite
    bargain wrote: »
    Any one know what questions they ask when taking this test.

They ask you 40 random questions from a large bank of questions; several from each section of H&S.

If you plan to take the test, I recommend getting the book; available from all good bookstores.

All questions are in the form of multi choice; there are 2 that are totally wrong answers; one that could be right and one that is 100% correct. Most of them can be guessed, as it is obvious which is the correct answer. It's a touch screen test, you don't have to write anything down.
  • Ask your BIL to ask the Job Centre about New Deal, I work for a training company who work in partnership with Job Centre Plus and all our clients that are sent to us (have to be claiming JSA for a certain amount of months) are entitled to free CSCS training (mock tests) and the actual test which costs £17.50

What area are you in? Also Learn Direct offer free CSCS (well in our area anyway) so thats worth a try.
    Weight loss so far 1st 12 1/2 lbs:j
    £2008 for 2008 member 784: July Wins: £10 VV voucher, £7.50 VV voucher, £50 figleaves voucher
  • yaarjee
    yaarjee Posts: 1 Newbie
    you can go to LIFELINE organisation for free cscs card and traing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure