Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

charities for help with vet bills?

Options

Comments

• myothercarisaferrari
    Options
    Just to let you know, certain branches of the RSPCA do subsidised neutering and vaccinations x
  • susandan
    Options
    I must say I am disgusted with some peoples attitudes to this thread - MrsTine

Me and my hubby have never claimed benefits in our life (both 45) we have bought up three children and my husband had been luck enough to have never been on the dole, up until last year, in 17 yrs of working with one company he only ever had 2 weeks off sick!
    Like I said we have never had to claim anything up until recently when my husband was made redundant from a well paid job, only on the dole for 4 weeks then got a job with a basic wage, I was finished from my part time job this feb, through ill health - I can't claim any benefits because hubby is working more than 16 hrs (even though our imcome is a third of what it used to be)! We still have one child at home at college.

For the first time we are claiming working tax credits..........................NOW what my point is, we have 3 fantastic dogs, all getting on now (around 9yrs), touch wood, have never had any health issues but am going to have to take one of them (which I rescued 3 yrs ago) to the vets to get her teeth checked as her breath smells terrible and the person who had her before obviously gave her rubbish food which is probably why her teeth are going bad.
    Our income is very low, we are just about managing, paying the bills nothing left for luxuries or repairs if anything breaks.

back to this person MrsTine , how dare he/she say the pets are a luxury and if you can't afford to feed or send them for treatment give them away to someone who can or worse still have it put to sleep - HOW DARE THEY SAY THIS,,,,,,WOULD YOU GIVE YOU CHILD AWAY? Would you have yoru kid put to sleep? it is exactly the same thing in my book, my dogs are like my kids and circumstances change and some people cannot help it if they are on benefits and need help - oh by the way I can't get help with vet fees, we are not on the 'right' benefits BUT still on a very very low wage!
    I'm going to have to use a credit card to pay for the treatment and pay interest and try to pay it back!
    This person's attitude is totally disgusting and I only hope that they do not own any animals as they obviously mean nothing to them!
    Maybe if their circumstances changed unexpectidly then they would understand!
    You cannot give an animal away if you've had it for, say, 9 yrs......

Totally disgusted reader!!!!
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Susandan - if you're on a low income an claiming certain benefits your animals may be treated free by the PDSA. Welcome to MSE.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • babycakes80
    Options
    Errata wrote: »
    Susandan - if you're on a low income an claiming certain benefits your animals may be treated free by the PDSA. Welcome to MSE.

PDSA only accept housing benefit or council tax benefit. I've found that purely being on a low income does not entitle you to either! :(
  • TREGISSIMUSS
    Options
    re the PDSA I have just tried to register my dog with them as although we are in receipt of both housing benefit and council tax benefit we have until now been able to pay for his veterinary care, i have just had a consultation costing me £55 (ouch but manageable) but the vet informs me he needs a lump removed from his jaw and tested for carcinoma. This will cost another £250+ which we do not have.
    I was given the name of a local vet who is part of the PDSA pet-aid scheme but have been told we cannot even be considered until our pet has been registered with them for at least six months. Not a lot of good as he needs help now.
    pet insurance? we stopped that when he was 5 years old and they wanted £45 a month.
    don't have pets you cant afford? we got him nearly ten years ago when both my wife and I were in good jobs, since then we have lost our business, our home and gone bankrupt but have still managed to meet his vets bills until in his old age we need some help with an un-expected and large vets bill.

How can I tell my two year old daughter that her doggie that she has known all her life has to go because we cannot afford to help him and he has to be healthy for six months before our local vet will even consider him for PDSA assistance.
    So all of you who qualify for help because you are on the right benefits need to register your pet six months before they become ill to get any help under this scheme.
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    re the PDSA I have just tried to register my dog with them as although we are in receipt of both housing benefit and council tax benefit we have until now been able to pay for his veterinary care, i have just had a consultation costing me £55 (ouch but manageable) but the vet informs me he needs a lump removed from his jaw and tested for carcinoma. This will cost another £250+ which we do not have.
    I was given the name of a local vet who is part of the PDSA pet-aid scheme but have been told we cannot even be considered until our pet has been registered with them for at least six months. Not a lot of good as he needs help now.
    pet insurance? we stopped that when he was 5 years old and they wanted £45 a month.
    don't have pets you cant afford? we got him nearly ten years ago when both my wife and I were in good jobs, since then we have lost our business, our home and gone bankrupt but have still managed to meet his vets bills until in his old age we need some help with an un-expected and large vets bill.

How can I tell my two year old daughter that her doggie that she has known all her life has to go because we cannot afford to help him and he has to be healthy for six months before our local vet will even consider him for PDSA assistance.
    So all of you who qualify for help because you are on the right benefits need to register your pet six months before they become ill to get any help under this scheme.
    Try another PetAid vets or if there's an actual PDSA hospital nearby. I've never heard of that rule before. Having said that I don't know a lot about it...
  • kadison
    kadison Posts: 3,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I just wanted to post in here to say I've just had to foot a bill for £3500 for my now deceased darling cat Lady. She was 15, and was ill for three months. I have insurance but they found the smallest reason not to pay out their share (approximately £2100), it really gets on my nerves but I would have paid the money anyway, so I don't regret it.

Those extra three months that £3500 gave me were priceless, luckily I paid on my credit card and have transferred the amount to two 0% cards. Unfortunately it was due to a free check at the vets that they found this loophole (sod's law eh?!) and now they won't cover the other two for kidney trouble.

Unfortunately it's pretty standard these days for insurance companies to up the excess and charge a percentage of the claim to you. Mine was £15 a month, with a £70 excess and 35% of remaining costs, fat lot of good it did me in the end but hey ho.

Unfortunately the whole benefits thing does annoy me as I know someone on benefits who has 10, yes 10 pets of different varieties and pays very little towards vet care when needed, all I can hope is that the other people claiming are doing so in good faith and not stripping the charities of much-needed cash.
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2023
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend
    Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho Marx
  • nigandjules
    nigandjules Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am really upset and looking for help with our cat Charlie who is in pet hospital right now.
    We are trying to work from home, get no benefits and are not coving our bills despite selling and cutting back as much as is possible.
    Charlie has just been found to be diabetic and is having scans today as there is liquid around his liver and ketones in his blood.
    We paid £200 last week for his tests, it will be a further £300 today, and more to come with also ongoing diabetes costs of £40 a month.
    When we took him we both had jobs- 10 years ago. We have both been made redundant, now have 3 kids (before any redundancy) and our circumstances are drastically changed. We get no housing benefits, income support or anything, only working child credit and child benefit. We can't seem to get any help anywhere and I feel desperate to find the money for the bills and still feed the family. Does anyone please know if there is anywhere we can get some help. The pDSA said no- and I have called and spoke to everyone I can. Is there anything else anyone can suggest?

Thanks so much
    Jules
  • linxie
    linxie Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I am really upset and looking for help with our cat Charlie who is in pet hospital right now.
    We are trying to work from home, get no benefits and are not coving our bills despite selling and cutting back as much as is possible.
    Charlie has just been found to be diabetic and is having scans today as there is liquid around his liver and ketones in his blood.
    We paid £200 last week for his tests, it will be a further £300 today, and more to come with also ongoing diabetes costs of £40 a month.
    When we took him we both had jobs- 10 years ago. We have both been made redundant, now have 3 kids (before any redundancy) and our circumstances are drastically changed. We get no housing benefits, income support or anything, only working child credit and child benefit. We can't seem to get any help anywhere and I feel desperate to find the money for the bills and still feed the family. Does anyone please know if there is anywhere we can get some help. The pDSA said no- and I have called and spoke to everyone I can. Is there anything else anyone can suggest?

Thanks so much
    Jules

Hi Jules, sorry to hear about Charlie. Only things I can think of are your local RSPCA branch (you have to contact the local branch rather than the head office) or else the tail waggers club trust.

I hope you get some help for Charlie's bills soon
  • nigandjules
    nigandjules Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Very sadly Charlie had to go today and we are still in shock.

I have contacted the Tailwaggers Trust now, to see if they can help.
    The final bill for the last 2 days is £580, but I am not even ready to think about that yet.

I just can't believe he has gone.

At least it doesn't hurt anymore for him, and we got to say goodbye.

Thanks for your help.

Jules
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family