student, piling debts...no job and no way out

Comments

• I'm a second year student as well, in a same kind of situation as you, so -hug- i know how stressful it is!! I wouldn't suggest opening another account though, as I think it would just be too tempting to spend or whatever. Are there any things you can sell on ebay or amazon? Any text books you dont need, or dont use or whatever, can go onto Amazon through the MarketPlace and bits and bobs, dvds etc can go on Ebay. It might not be as good as if you had a part time job, but its a start. Do you get your second installment of your student loan in January? If you do, then its just getting til then, and once you have that in your account, you can work out a budget plan then around what the situation is.
    Nicola x

Hi nicola, sorry to say that even when my student loan money comes in it will only be going into the hands of my parents due to the fact that they have already paying for my accomodation but have recently come into some problems regarding this and are being stretched.

I do have a few items I could place up for sale on amazon, however through searching it doesn't look that they would sell due to the amount of competition from established retailers. I will try though!

Studie97
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Studie97,
    okay so your loan isn't going to help your situation too much, so you just have to find out other ways in which to get money :) even if the books on amazon might not raise much, anything at all would help your current situation, right? I've sold some books on amazon, and over 60 dvds on ebay, and as the saying goes, every little helps :)
    Are there not any bar jobs or restaurant jobs you could do over the christmas hols? Depending on where you live, most chain stores often need Christmas Temps over these holidays to help with the sales after christmas day. just an idea :) Just look around, and look in your house for things to sell!
    Chin up, it'll be okay :)
    Nicola x
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • Annie_Fanny
    Annie_Fanny Posts: 1,167 Forumite
    What are you studying and how old are you?

Annie
    "Debt makes plans for you" - A quote from my friend Catherine. How true!
  • Can you not take a sabbatical from Uni for a year or 2 ? Your Uni should have a provision for this.

Good luck mate :)
    Doing my best as a contrarian investor...property, banking...let's see how it goes ;)
  • I don't really want to take any time off ftom my work as knowing me I would fall behind or end up even not going back to my studies. I'm 19 and studying business info. systems.

Nicola honestly, I lost count of the jobs I applied to coming upto the christmas season and even had a really good shop trying to work around my university commitments to fit me in but this never worked out in the end. Ah well, I'll keep hunting, but I dont hold much hope till after the holidays to be honest. I've got one item for sale on Amazon now that I really dont need, but I'm dreading selling my dvd collection though, but I suppose desperate times call...
  • Hi Studie97

Keep your chin up - don't let your money worries get you down too much. You're doing a good thing by sorting this out in your second year. I wish I had sorted my finances out then :o

I made a fair amount of money by selling my text books back to the Uni branch of Blackwell's - you can get decent second-hand prices. It's worth asking before you list them on Amazon.

Defnitely, definitely see your student support office. Many universities have access funds which can help in an emergency. Don't hold back on telling them how upset you are about this financial crisis.

Above all, you need to sort out your finances. Not posting an SOA because your income and expenditure varies so much sounds like avoidance to me. For your own sake, write down your expenditure - what you need for rent etc each term (are you still in halls?). If you can't work out your income, at least work out what you HAVE to spend each term. Create a budget or you'll end up spending more than you can afford.

Good luck to you

Blue
    Official DFW Nerd Club member 216 - Proud to be dealing with my debts :D
    Amazon Sellers' Club member 64

GM Challenge make £50 = £12
    2007 Olympic Challenge - Silver = £726.83
    2007 Olympic weight loss challenge - 25 lbs = 3 lbs
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    studie97 wrote:
    I don't really want to take any time off ftom my work as knowing me I would fall behind or end up even not going back to my studies. I'm 19 and studying business info. systems.

Nicola honestly, I lost count of the jobs I applied to coming upto the christmas season and even had a really good shop trying to work around my university commitments to fit me in but this never worked out in the end. Ah well, I'll keep hunting, but I dont hold much hope till after the holidays to be honest. I've got one item for sale on Amazon now that I really dont need, but I'm dreading selling my dvd collection though, but I suppose desperate times call...
    I'm afraid that desperate times do call, as you've found out. I looked through my collection, and realised that over half of them I didn't want to watch again, and so sold them on. If you have all the ones you want, you might have to sell them anyway, and you can buy them again at a later date when you've sorted everything out, and then they'll be cheaper anyway coz they're older films! :beer:
    Nicola x
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • studie97 wrote:
    I don't really want to take any time off ftom my work as knowing me I would fall behind or end up even not going back to my studies.

Okay...but if you've been dedicated enough to get to Uni, then make sure you're dedicated enough to restart. Seems to me that all this worry is not going to help your marks, which would make it all a waste of time.

Life is tough, but that's why we work hard, make sacrificies, and have discipline with ourselves, to get things we really want. ;)
    Doing my best as a contrarian investor...property, banking...let's see how it goes ;)
  • Kevicho
    Kevicho Posts: 3,216 Forumite
    Have you been to see your student finances department, they may be able to help with crisis loans, you may be able to get help with rent or some other financial assistance.

Also as others have said, sell anything you dont need, im sure you have around 4 months of uni left, so to quit halfway through would be bad.

Keep applying for jobs, im sure youll be able to get a temp job for a couple of weeks, even if its not doing what you want to do

Good luck

Kev
  • gilly41
    gilly41 Posts: 909 Forumite
    Hi
    Please dont even consider leaving Uni---it would be such a waste. Both my kids have struggled through---my daughter has just finished a full degree of 3 years and my son has just finished his Foundation Degree. I know you can apply for a hardship loan if you are struggling---a poster on here gave me advice regarding my son getting help but as it happens he chose not to stay on for his 3rd year to do a top up degree. I cannot remember the posters name but he was very very helpful----maybe if you post regarding the hardship fund he may reply. I believe he works in that field and therefore knows the ins and outs!
    Have you tried an agency? My son always managed to get work(even for 4 week holidays!) when he came back through various agencies. I am not sure if I can post their names on here but they have branches all over the UK.
    Take care---it will be worth it when you get your degree!
    x
    Sealed pot challenge 7...my number is 2144.....started Nov 29th ....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure