Separated, how much should I provide?

Comments

• JackRS
    JackRS Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    RAS wrote: »
    Jack Two other little issues

1. Was there a dual signed inventory when you moved in?
    2. were you sent the prescribed information within the 30 days?

Do you have contact details for the Landlord? If not consider downloading their address from the Land Registry (£3).

Then write and explain that you are currently in the process of divorcing and do not knwo if you need a 6 or 12 months tenancy. Could you go statutory periodic? Promise to give as much notice as possible of leaving.

Yesdual sign inventory I also sent some photo's showing existing damage to laminate floor. I don't have landlord address have strict instructions to go throughagent for all issues. I think they will say they'll have no problems filling so if I wanted to leave earlier no problem which is why they can push the rent up as there is a demand and so they can get there fee. Obviously the LL is interested in getting the higher rent so I think would give me the 2 months notice so thgey can get someone paying the higher rent? Maybe worth a try?
    Regards

JackRS
  • JackRS
    Update

Spoke with ex last night, she wants to move down south as daughters course finishes soon and our son is pulling his hair out living with grandparents. So the options are as the house hasn’t sold according to her:

1) I move back in the house and I give her whatever she needs to pay for the rent down south, no doubt more than I currently pay.
    2) I stay in rented and we rent out the FMH with her receiving the money.

I’m feeling reluctant to have to pay all her rent and certainly don’t think it’s fair that she should get all rent from FMH if we find a tenant. Just wondered what would be considered reasonable. Currently the house is a joint asset therefore if we rented it out we should both receive half, less agency costs etc. Therefore if I were to move back in I don’t think I should give her more than what she would receive if we rented it out.

Don’t forget I’m still paying her voluntary maintenance of £1150 a month and providing a new car cost to me £206/month (she just pays for fuel). She says she’ll look for a job when there, but if muggings here is paying rent and all the rest why would she want to work! Thing is yet again I’ll be made out to being unreasonable and her solicitor will propose some legal action.

Anything anybody knows about this one some previous case?
    Regards

JackRS
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you were to move back in would you put the house on the market?

If so, she can claim LHA to cover the cost of renting down there (check out the VOA web-site for the maximum value). Of course spousal maintenance may make this rather more difficult so it would be hugely sensible for you to only pay her maintenance for your son.

The VOA amount only covers the bottom 30% of the market but you could make an additional contribution (less than your current rent) until the house is sold.

And then actively market the property?

Is there any agreement on the split yet?????
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • JackRS
    RAS wrote: »
    If you were to move back in would you put the house on the market?

If so, she can claim LHA to cover the cost of renting down there (check out the VOA web-site for the maximum value). Of course spousal maintenance may make this rather more difficult so it would be hugely sensible for you to only pay her maintenance for your son.

The VOA amount only covers the bottom 30% of the market but you could make an additional contribution (less than your current rent) until the house is sold.

And then actively market the property?

Is there any agreement on the split yet?????

Not sure what that all means but I will look into as you suggest, the house would continue to be on the market. No no agreement yet waiting for atuary report on pensions as waiting for state pension reports.
    Regards

JackRS
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Start with www.turn2us.org.uk and pretend to be your wife, signed on to JSA to start with.

Local Housing Allowance -benefit paid to cover rent.

Limits to LHA - three bedroom rate in this case (parent, two older children of different genders). Each area sets the maximum amount that they will pay towards rent, regardless of the actual cost. A response to the few who rented masive houses in posh parts of London because they had large families. This rate is sufficient to cover the rent in 30% of local properties.

There is a link from the t2u web-site to find out the allowance in the area your wife wants to live in.

If you model her income with you paying spousal maintenance you will find she rapidly loses entitlement to any benefits. Maintenance paid for children is ignored for benefit calculations.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • rpc
    rpc Posts: 2,353 Forumite
    If the house is currently on the market and not selling, there will be a reason for it.

- Not really trying
    - Something wrong with it
    - Asking price too high

I would try to take a good look at the house and the local market, although that is hard when she is living in it. It's quite possible that the attempt to sell is a bit of a show. Aside from anything else, sale of the marital home is a perfect time to split finances and start fresh!
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Sorry if it looks too obvious - why not to ask your solicitor and people at wikivorce.
    I would be tempted to move in and pay her nothing . Ok ok , half of what is your rent seems fair. She had plenty of time to look for a job , children are grown up - not sure she could prove anything unreasonable from your side even if she tried.
    I am surprised actuarial report takes so long - its been like 6 months since.you.been.waiting for it ? I would been tempted to complaint.
    Re your son pulling hair - well that's his life lesson , if one can not afford to live on his own one shares and sharing means inconveniences .
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • LannieDuck
    LannieDuck Posts: 2,359 Forumite
    V surprised you haven't received actuarial report yet. Get your solicitor onto it. It's costing you £1150 per month...
    Mortgage when started: £330,995

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
    Arthur C. Clarke
  • JackRS
    LannieDuck wrote: »
    V surprised you haven't received actuarial report yet. Get your solicitor onto it. It's costing you £1150 per month...

It's costing me more than that, and when it's all done I think it will cost even more. I think I should move back in the house to get it sold. In which case she'll expect me to pay for her rental on top of that?
    Regards

JackRS
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I must say the last post reads to me as the most down one in the whole thread. I feel like writing complaint letters , calling solicitors , asking questions for jack .
    How ground down one should be to feel its going to be even worse once it is finished ?!
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure