Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hoopylass
    • By Hoopylass 14th Nov 17, 7:07 PM
    • 895Posts
    • 483Thanks
    Hoopylass
    Prepayment Bill Confusion
    • 14th Nov 17, 7:07 PM
    Prepayment Bill Confusion 14th Nov 17 at 7:07 PM
    I am new to the whole prepayment meter situation after finding them installed in our new home. We have managed to ditch the gas to a credit meter but we are stuck with the electricity one for now.

Both meters were read the other week according to my OH and today I have logged into my online account with scottish power to find a bill saying I am £26 in credit when my meter is saying I am £38 in credit.

Am I missing something really obvious?

Edited to add: We have not added any extra credit since the reading was taken.
    Last edited by Hoopylass; 15-11-2017 at 12:58 PM.
    Total Debt
    Was £4145.81now £0.00
Page 1
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 14th Nov 17, 8:23 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    AndyCF
    • 14th Nov 17, 8:23 PM
    • 14th Nov 17, 8:23 PM
    This may not be any help as my 'new new' smart was put in today and there is a difference however (its EON in my case, I noted you're with a different supplier) I did note on their site that although the meter reading was correct and updated the balance it said something along the lines of it only updates at midnight.

I would say to recheck it tomorrow in any case.

Only posting this in case you don't get a reply that is more helpful really. Summary simply being check it again tomorrow in case it has changed / synced properly.
    • Hoopylass
    • By Hoopylass 14th Nov 17, 8:49 PM
    • 895 Posts
    • 483 Thanks
    Hoopylass
    • 14th Nov 17, 8:49 PM
    • 14th Nov 17, 8:49 PM
    Thanks Andy

We don't have the smart meters installed as planning on ditching scottish power so didn't see the point in them.

Will recheck tomorrow and if still incorrect will add it to my ongoing complaint with them!
    Total Debt
    Was £4145.81now £0.00
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 15th Nov 17, 5:34 AM
    • 6,162 Posts
    • 5,291 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 15th Nov 17, 5:34 AM
    • 15th Nov 17, 5:34 AM
    Hi,

Your £26 credit would be on date of meter reading, did you use an up to date meter reading when checking?

Have you added credit since meter reading, and, of course you will have used some.
    Y'all take care now.
    • Hoopylass
    • By Hoopylass 15th Nov 17, 12:57 PM
    • 895 Posts
    • 483 Thanks
    Hoopylass
    • 15th Nov 17, 12:57 PM
    • 15th Nov 17, 12:57 PM
    Hi,

Your £26 credit would be on date of meter reading, did you use an up to date meter reading when checking?

Have you added credit since meter reading, and, of course you will have used some.
    Originally posted by frugalmacdugal
    Nope we have not added credit since the reading was taken.

I am totally confused lol ... I just assumed you topped up and that was that
    Total Debt
    Was £4145.81now £0.00
    • SpotlandRules
    • By SpotlandRules 16th Nov 17, 12:21 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    SpotlandRules
    • 16th Nov 17, 12:21 AM
    • 16th Nov 17, 12:21 AM
    Has there been a price change. Any price change would not be transferred to your meter until you use your key to top up.
    • honeyend
    • By honeyend 16th Nov 17, 8:32 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    honeyend
    • 16th Nov 17, 8:32 PM
    • 16th Nov 17, 8:32 PM
    Change quickly. I had a prepayment meter with SP and it took four months to clear debt. I was on a standard tariff and only use about a kw a day but still managed to 'owe' them about £80.
    They estimate you usage, even though its a prepayment meter, so if you are using less than they think the actual usage and the estimated usage get further apart. When I first got a 'bill' I queried it and was told it was only for information and to ignore it, so I did, more fool me.
    • Hoopylass
    • By Hoopylass 17th Nov 17, 6:13 PM
    • 895 Posts
    • 483 Thanks
    Hoopylass
    • 17th Nov 17, 6:13 PM
    • 17th Nov 17, 6:13 PM
    Change quickly. I had a prepayment meter with SP and it took four months to clear debt. I was on a standard tariff and only use about a kw a day but still managed to 'owe' them about £80.
    They estimate you usage, even though its a prepayment meter, so if you are using less than they think the actual usage and the estimated usage get further apart. When I first got a 'bill' I queried it and was told it was only for information and to ignore it, so I did, more fool me.
    Originally posted by honeyend
    That has been really helpful ... they have just told me the exact same thing. It is a "quotation" bill ?

Looking to switch ASAP!
    Total Debt
    Was £4145.81now £0.00
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,858Posts Today

8,114Users online

Martin's Twitter