Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • daisy_chain
    • By daisy_chain 10th Nov 17, 7:00 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 0Thanks
    daisy_chain
    Ex forged my signature on PPI Claim in 2015
    • 10th Nov 17, 7:00 PM
    Ex forged my signature on PPI Claim in 2015 10th Nov 17 at 7:00 PM
    Ive only recently found out that I had PPI on my joint Halifax Mortgage account going back to 1999. I got a claims company (I thought I would be easier) to look into it for and they came back to me saying yes there was ppi on the account and then they asked about my circumstances at that time. I even wrote them a 50% of any success on the claim.

I phoned the claims company up today to find out how the claim was going, only to be told the ppi on the mortgage had already been claimed on in march 2015. I explained I only decided to claim recently as I had forgotten about it and plus I wasn't working at the time as I was a housewife, until a couple of months later.

Anyway I phoned the Halifax to find out exactly what was going on and they confirmed the ppi had already been claimed on and by my ex. They also stated that I had signed the forms and agreed that the money would go into my ex's joint account.

I do not and have any contact with my ex husband and haven't done for the last 10 years as we are divorced in 2007. Moreover I moved 60 miles away from where he lived in 2013 due to family reasons and his behaviour (harassment); he has been issued with several pin notices by the police in that time. So how I agreed and signed the form I will never know.

I am after some advice as to how to take this further, I feel rather upset about this the fact that my ex forged my signature to claim the full amount. surely this is fraud
Page 1
    • Malcnascar
    • By Malcnascar 10th Nov 17, 7:04 PM
    • 1,172 Posts
    • 1,296 Thanks
    Malcnascar
    • 10th Nov 17, 7:04 PM
    • 10th Nov 17, 7:04 PM
    Forgery is a crime, contact the police
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th Nov 17, 7:08 PM
    • 14,046 Posts
    • 14,738 Thanks
    zx81
    • 10th Nov 17, 7:08 PM
    • 10th Nov 17, 7:08 PM
    I'd suggest a letter to a him in the first place, advising that you know. It may encourage some kind of payment. Then perhaps consider legal steps.

On the bright side, if you had been successful with your complaint, you would have needed to pay the claims company your entire share of the redress, while he would have got his full half.

So if you don't get anything back, you are no worse off than if you had been successful with your complaint.
    • daisy_chain
    • By daisy_chain 10th Nov 17, 7:09 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    daisy_chain
    • 10th Nov 17, 7:09 PM
    • 10th Nov 17, 7:09 PM
    I will be contacting them. Ive also put in a complaint by telephone to the Halifax about it and they are going to investigate it further. I'm going to write an official letter of complaint
    • -taff
    • By -taff 10th Nov 17, 7:10 PM
    • 7,098 Posts
    • 5,090 Thanks
    -taff
    • 10th Nov 17, 7:10 PM
    • 10th Nov 17, 7:10 PM
    zx81, no, they wouldn't have, because they could have refused to use the company the forger would have had to pay them out of their half.

Contact the bank, lodge a complaint that your ex forged your dignature, then contact the police and tell them your ex forged your signature.

Then see what happens next.
    • daisy_chain
    • By daisy_chain 10th Nov 17, 7:11 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    daisy_chain
    • 10th Nov 17, 7:11 PM
    • 10th Nov 17, 7:11 PM
    I wont be contacting my ex directly as there is a pin notice in place where he cant contact me.
    • Malcnascar
    • By Malcnascar 10th Nov 17, 7:57 PM
    • 1,172 Posts
    • 1,296 Thanks
    Malcnascar
    • 10th Nov 17, 7:57 PM
    • 10th Nov 17, 7:57 PM
    Since forgery is a serious crime, as such the claims company and Halifax will need you to involve the police before they can address your complaint. How do they know that the signature is not genuine if you don't involve the police. The existence of the PIN suggests issues involving you and your ex and there will be a police record of these.
    • daisy_chain
    • By daisy_chain 10th Nov 17, 8:06 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    daisy_chain
    • 10th Nov 17, 8:06 PM
    • 10th Nov 17, 8:06 PM
    Yes there are issues between myself and my ex. He's threatened alsorts over the years, hence why I have had to get the police involved. Now this, even though he claimed 2 years ago. I was honest with the claims company and write a 50% letter of any claim on joint accounts
    • societys child
    • By societys child 10th Nov 17, 8:10 PM
    • 4,801 Posts
    • 5,217 Thanks
    societys child
    • 10th Nov 17, 8:10 PM
    • 10th Nov 17, 8:10 PM
    The only one at fault is your ex.
    Halifax have done nothing wrong by the sound of it.
    You may have to sue your ex . .

• daisy_chain
    • By daisy_chain 10th Nov 17, 8:22 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    daisy_chain
    I was thinking that, but I suppose it will cost me to sue
    • -taff
    • By -taff 10th Nov 17, 8:24 PM
    • 7,098 Posts
    • 5,090 Thanks
    -taff
    sorry zx, I read it as the forger employed the company.....
    • daisy_chain
    • By daisy_chain 10th Nov 17, 8:27 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    daisy_chain
    No that was me hehe.
    • daisy_chain
    • By daisy_chain 14th Nov 17, 9:01 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    daisy_chain
    Well I've had a voice mail from the halifax this morning from an unknown caller. No number left. The voice mail said they want to resolve the issue as quickly as possible and said they would call back later today. I missed the call as I was in work. I phoned them when I got home and the lady didn't know what department called me. All very strange. They sound forgein so prob a call centre in India. Not good as I have to now wait for them to call me
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,796Posts Today

7,311Users online

Martin's Twitter