Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jwil
    • By jwil 27th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    • 7,736Posts
    • 21,938Thanks
    jwil
    Onwards and downwards...
    • 27th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    Onwards and downwards... 27th Mar 17 at 2:47 PM
    Hey everyone

Iíve decided itís time for a new diary. Iíve been plodding away for years, robbing Peter to pay Paul, desperately trying to keep on top of everything. Iím fed up with doing this, so at the end of last year I started a DMP with Stepchange. Having someone else do all the hard work takes so much pressure off, and I donít need to worry about it so much now. I wish Iíd done it sooner!

There is also the ongoing saga of clearing the house which has been going on for years. We have cleared most of the stuff we inherited, but still have loads of our own stuff to clear, DH more so than me. Whilst this drives me crazy, it has been invaluable in providing us extra cash while I sell everything that isnít nailed down.

For anyone new popping in (Hello! ) Do stick around. There is me, DH, little jwil (4) and little miss (1). We also have a dog and a cat. DH is doing temporary work at the moment whilst looking for a FT job. My job is very uncertain at the moment, so just clinging on with great hope! I thought it was ok for the next couple of years, but itís all change again now so who knows!

I hope old friends and new will pop in now and again to say hello and give me a boot up the bum
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Page 1
    • jwil
    • By jwil 27th Mar 17, 2:48 PM
    • 7,736 Posts
    • 21,938 Thanks
    jwil
    • 27th Mar 17, 2:48 PM
    • 27th Mar 17, 2:48 PM
    The debt.

Iíve always been a bit vague about what I owe, but the grand total when I started my DMP was £34,229.

Itís been built up over decades, with my degree courses (no student loans available for me then), cars (just second hand runarounds, nothing fancy), general overspending and a stupid consolidation that obviously worked well

The debts are all mine, not DHs so they are mine to pay back. It was mostly built up before we were together and hasnít really reduced over the years.

Iím in a decent job (at the moment), but DH is looking for a permanent job so we have to be careful. Our childcare bill is a killer, but should reduce somewhat when little jwil starts school in September which will help. DH is doing temporary jobs at the moment, so we canít reduce the childcare until he gets some permanent hours as he needs to be available. As a result our household finances are very tight at the moment, and thereís not any wiggle room so paying token payments at the moment to my debts.

I donít have any savings, so the money from selling my stuff is meant to be going towards building up an emergency fund, however, it keeps getting sucked up by bills at the moment. Iím hoping to change that soon!

The House

Our house needs loads of work doing to it, as it has barely been touched since the 1970s. We donít have the spare cash to do anything at the moment, but also thereís no room to do anything because of all our stuff!

It has improved, but there is still a massive way to go. Every time we make a gap, we keep filling it again! I think our stuff multiplies. I therefore spend half my life listing, packing and posting eBay sales.

We do like a good mooch around a car boot sale so go most weekends. (Hence a lot of our stuff!) Iím much better about not buying things now for me, although do tend to buy the kids things. We also sell regularly at car boot sales of things I donít put on eBay.

I am trying to follow the Marie Kondo method of decluttering my house, though it is very slow progress and Iím not doing it strictly as I canít always access everything to gather it together. But the basic principles work for me. Itís just trying to find the time really around everything else.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 27th Mar 17, 2:51 PM
    • 7,736 Posts
    • 21,938 Thanks
    jwil
    • 27th Mar 17, 2:51 PM
    • 27th Mar 17, 2:51 PM
    Here are my decluttering/survey totals so far for this year. I shall continue with these:

Decluttering:
    Books: 197
    Magazines/papers: 33
    Ebay parcels: 452
    Other: 134

Total: 759

Ebay listings: 543

Survey/other earnings:
    Amazon: £25
    Paypal/cash: £47.14
    Other vouchers:
    • jwil
    • By jwil 27th Mar 17, 3:03 PM
    • 7,736 Posts
    • 21,938 Thanks
    jwil
    • 27th Mar 17, 3:03 PM
    • 27th Mar 17, 3:03 PM
    I'm not going to bother with the money targets I had before. My new totals are:

Total debt: £34,229/£34,229 = 0% paid
    Savings target: £19,320/£0 = 0% reached

The savings target is naturally a bit of a dream, but it would be nice, and why not aim high!

I know you shouldn't have savings whilst you have debts, but I haven't got anything so firstly need something in the bank for emergencies, and then once I reach that, to pay off some of the debts in lump sums/pay for work to be done to the house.

Once I have some emergency savings I shall consider self managing my DMP so I can overpay whenever I am able to.
    Last edited by jwil; 27-03-2017 at 3:09 PM.
    • retiredandskint
    • By retiredandskint 27th Mar 17, 4:34 PM
    • 653 Posts
    • 4,346 Thanks
    retiredandskint
    • 27th Mar 17, 4:34 PM
    • 27th Mar 17, 4:34 PM
    Hi jwil I'm here in your lovely new diary. Here's to a good year for you in debt busting, saving and decluttering.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 27th Mar 17, 5:26 PM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 14,225 Thanks
    parsniphead
    • 27th Mar 17, 5:26 PM
    • 27th Mar 17, 5:26 PM
    Good luck with the journey Jwil......and if you find the answer to the decluttering mystery dont keep it to yourself...
    My August to Christmas challenge:.
    Pay off £2500 debt - £1088/2500 43.52%
    Completely declutter the house by Christmas day...all of it.

Nothing gets better until you get better.
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 27th Mar 17, 7:09 PM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 34,729 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    • 27th Mar 17, 7:09 PM
    • 27th Mar 17, 7:09 PM
    I have followed you over too...great to see the fresh start and fingers crossed for everything x
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%]
    Declutter 200 items before 31.01.18 xx/200 ** LSDs Target 10 for Winter 0x/10 **AFDs xx/15 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £225 so far
    **NSDs Target 10 for Winter xx/10 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 27th Mar 17, 7:25 PM
    • 625 Posts
    • 1,357 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    • 27th Mar 17, 7:25 PM
    • 27th Mar 17, 7:25 PM
    Hi, I've never commented before but I followed your old diary and you inspired me to start ebaying, you do so well. And your declutter lists are an inspiration! Good luck with your new diary
    House Deposit:£11,300.71/£14,000 = 80.71% Money Made'17 August: £41.04July:
    £4.95
    June: £5.35 May:£30.30April: £51.09March:£28.25Feb: £120.47 Jan:£14.35
    Total Made '16:£284.60
    • Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 27th Mar 17, 9:16 PM
    • 837 Posts
    • 1,679 Thanks
    Kitten868
    • 27th Mar 17, 9:16 PM
    • 27th Mar 17, 9:16 PM
    Hello jwil, I totally understand your need for a new diary. Fresh start for you now you've got your new plan.
    My husband will only get rid of his rubbish if motivated. If you get rid of your three guitars you and your amp you can buy a new guitar... the new guitar never materialised but the old guitars and the amp is gone
    Keep your pecker up jwil. you are making holes in the clutter. I remember when you had rooms you couldn't go in. It just won't feel good enough until it's all gone. you need to step back and appreciate all you have achieved. you're doing great.
    Great news one company refunded interest and charges! Get those complaints fired off xxxx
    Loan 1 £7100/£8000
    Loan 2 £5100/£5800
    Total £12200/£13800 12% PAID
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 28th Mar 17, 8:45 AM
    • 3,970 Posts
    • 11,843 Thanks
    abba1772
    Hi jwil followed you over
    NEXT TARGET HALIFAX CC WAS July 17 £3572.57 NOW £4792.52
    POAMAYC 2011 £6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 £6028.69 / £6000
    • jwil
    • By jwil 28th Mar 17, 9:14 AM
    • 7,736 Posts
    • 21,938 Thanks
    jwil
    Hi jwil I'm here in your lovely new diary. Here's to a good year for you in debt busting, saving and decluttering.
    Originally posted by retiredandskint
    Thanks retired How are you all getting on?

Good luck with the journey Jwil......and if you find the answer to the decluttering mystery dont keep it to yourself...
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    Thanks parsniphead - it definitely breeds!

I have followed you over too...great to see the fresh start and fingers crossed for everything x
    Originally posted by brizzledfw
    Thanks Brizzle Great to see you
    Last edited by jwil; 28-03-2017 at 9:18 AM.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 28th Mar 17, 9:17 AM
    • 7,736 Posts
    • 21,938 Thanks
    jwil
    Hi, I've never commented before but I followed your old diary and you inspired me to start ebaying, you do so well. And your declutter lists are an inspiration! Good luck with your new diary
    Originally posted by ChicaBonita
    Hi ChicaBonita, thanks for delurking, it's nice to have new visitors I always think I'm a bit whiny rather than inspiring, but thank you

Hello jwil, I totally understand your need for a new diary. Fresh start for you now you've got your new plan.
    My husband will only get rid of his rubbish if motivated. If you get rid of your three guitars you and your amp you can buy a new guitar... the new guitar never materialised but the old guitars and the amp is gone
    Keep your pecker up jwil. you are making holes in the clutter. I remember when you had rooms you couldn't go in. It just won't feel good enough until it's all gone. you need to step back and appreciate all you have achieved. you're doing great.
    Great news one company refunded interest and charges! Get those complaints fired off xxxx
    Originally posted by Kitten868
    Thanks Kitten, DH is definitely improving, I think my nagging encouragement is starting to sink in.

It is definitely getting better, however much I moan, but you are right, I won't be happy until it's done

How's the new house?

Hi jwil followed you over
    Originally posted by abba1772
    Thanks abba Great to see you
    • jwil
    • By jwil 28th Mar 17, 9:37 AM
    • 7,736 Posts
    • 21,938 Thanks
    jwil
    I was so pleased yesterday that for the first time in weeks, both kiddies were healthy and happy when I dropped them off at nursery. Then I got the call to say little jwil had fallen over and split his lip and needs to be taken to A&E

Luckily DH was around to take him, so he's strapped up now. They've got nursery photos next week, that's going to look good! At least he's ok though.

I've finally received my letter from the bank. They don't agree with my complaint, but are going to refund me the charges anyway I'm happy with that. They are also going to give me an extra £20 compensation if I agree to go away and shut up I think I will as it's another £20 I won't have to pay them back.

I've got to take the cat to the vets on Friday for a dental so I need to get ebaying to try and cover that. It's the last month I don't have to pay tax and also no water bill this month, so the money to cover it should be there.

We've had the electric and gas bill and that's about £100 more than expected so must get some meter readings done and check it's correct. I can't see how it can be so hoping it will reduce a bit. Then I must get on and see about switching!

I've sent tax credits a letter detailing DH's employment situation as there's no obvious way to input it. I've also informed them that I will no longer be getting childcare vouchers. I'm guessing we won't be eligible next year as I'm back on a full wage again, but hoping we might still get a bit, especially with the childcare.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 29th Mar 17, 10:01 AM
    • 7,736 Posts
    • 21,938 Thanks
    jwil
    Today I have sent off my acceptance letter for my compensation and look forward to another £20 being credited to that account.

I have received £8.25 paypal from a survey site.

I've decided on a few very bulky items that can go. Some exercise equipment, and a filing cabinet. They will make loads of space when they are gone. I'd kind of like to keep the exercise equipment but we don't have the space to use it at the moment so there's no point, it's just dying in storage.

DH informed me I still had 4 boxes of stuff in the loft so I've got him to bring them down so I can look through them. I'm hoping my audio cd book collection is in there so I can sell them. I've got all the cases, but can't find the folder which has all the discs in them. That will be another box to go if it is.

DH seems to be more on board than he ever has been in the past, so that's really good. He said yesterday that when we've reduced the amount of car boot stuff we've already got sorted, he'll empty one of his bookcases and get rid of most of the contents of that.

We have reached the stage where we don't have anywhere to put stuff we've added to the car boot sale pile, so I'm really hoping for some good weather this weekend. The CBS we sell at most is reopening so want to head out there and get rid of stuff!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 30th Mar 17, 3:05 PM
    • 7,736 Posts
    • 21,938 Thanks
    jwil
    So my end of month update:

Total debt: £34,229/£33,982 = 0.72% paid
    Savings target: £19,320/£38 = 0.2% reached

My original debt start figure was actually higher than that, but I won't change it as it was due to those charges that I've since had refunded. That has also reduced the balance by more than it will monthly now, but it's still a good start
    Last edited by jwil; 30-03-2017 at 3:07 PM.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 30th Mar 17, 3:12 PM
    • 7,736 Posts
    • 21,938 Thanks
    jwil
    To add to the declutter list:

135. Snowsuit
    136. Bags of clothing
    137. Bibs
    138. Toy car
    139. Envelopes
    140. 2 x phone chargers
    141. Plastic tub
    142. Steiff box and bag
    143. 3 x glitter pens
    144. 3 x puzzles
    145. crate of assorted bits and pieces
    146. 4 x toy cars
    147. pens
    148. puzzle
    149. pot
    • jwil
    • By jwil 30th Mar 17, 3:15 PM
    • 7,736 Posts
    • 21,938 Thanks
    jwil
    An update:

Decluttering:
    Books: 207
    Magazines/papers: 36
    Ebay parcels: 509
    Other: 149

Total: 901

Ebay listings: 607

Survey/other earnings:
    Amazon: £30
    Paypal/cash: £61.39
    Other vouchers:
    • jwil
    • By jwil 31st Mar 17, 11:09 AM
    • 7,736 Posts
    • 21,938 Thanks
    jwil
    The cat has been dropped at the vets, estimated bill around £400 That does include her boosters too, so it's handy to get that done at the same time.

I didn't get my tax free wages this month So have earned my usual amount. Shame really as I was hoping that the lack of tax and lack of water bill would cover it. I'll just have to get ebaying!

I did sell 4 items yesterday so they've all been posted. I need to review my listings as some stuff has been on a while so I'm going to bundle it all up and sell it together. DH is doing the same with some of his longer term stuff as well. It's time to get clearing!

Hoping the weather will be ok tomorrow as want to get booting! Sadly it looks like it's going to be wet right at car boot time, and not the rest of the day. So the question is, do we get up early and try a different one, or do we try and sell on Sunday as the weather is looking fine?
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 31st Mar 17, 11:42 AM
    • 999 Posts
    • 3,196 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Hi Jwil,

Followed you over too. I too am inspired by your decluttering - well I say that, I am theoretically inspired, it just never translates to action on my part. But do you know I'm glad to see your total on there; I'm sure it's scarily high for you, but you can do it and we can all cheerlead you along the way. And it's totally, TOTALLY, achievable.

Really hope DH gets work sorted soon so you can have some stability. Once you get your regular bills under control, you could probably start an emergency fund alongside the debt, with the future plan to offer full and final settlements once you have some cash set aside?

Signing on for the journey
    Create credit card buffer fund £12.93/£1000 1.4%paid. Pay by Christmas 17

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: £17,005
    • Pelepeg
    • By Pelepeg 1st Apr 17, 12:45 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Pelepeg
    Hello. I thought I would follow you as I am in need of focus on my own financial woes. Just starting to get a grip of them all. I too have a house full of things that need to go on Ebay, but can never seem to find the mojo to do anything about it, despite husband threatening to leave until he sees a change. I wouldn't mind but he seems blinded to his piles of crap stuff and focuses purely on mine!

Would be interested to know what survey sites you use too.

Good luck in your continuing saga!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

257Posts Today

1,114Users online

Martin's Twitter