Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 4th Jan 16, 11:12 AM
    • 4,358Posts
    • 13,207Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Alway's believe that something wonderful is about to happen!
    • 4th Jan 16, 11:12 AM
    Alway's believe that something wonderful is about to happen! 4th Jan 16 at 11:12 AM
    Happy New Year everyone!

Well after over 6 months of being away I'm back and raring to go. So new diary time, 2015 was a carp year and I'm glad to see the back of it, so its a new year of looking forward and not dwelling on the past.

Will update some more later.x.

Page 3
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 18th Jan 16, 7:41 PM
    • 4,358 Posts
    • 13,207 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Evening all.

It's been a heavy day at work today and I feel exhausted, thnk an early night is needed.

Did a recky of cupboards and fridge we seem to have loads of bits that need using up, so I've done a meal plan for the next few days and will just do a top up shop on Wednesday instead of a big shop and then do another shop at the weekend, hopefully this way things that need using up will get used up and not forgotten abot and chucked.

Meal plan -

Tue - Spanish omelette + salad.
    Wed - cottage pie and peas.
    Thur - Pasta bake + Garlic bread/salad
    Fri - Jkt cheese + beans.

Have packed lunch things but will need some more fruit, also have some sausage meat and puff pastry so couls make sausage rolls for pack ups.

Checked banking this morning,couple of DD gone out, spent £20 on fuel today as well.

Not much else going on, hope everyone is ok.x.
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    • chanie
    • By chanie 22nd Jan 16, 9:38 AM
    • 1,681 Posts
    • 8,327 Thanks
    chanie
    We are trying to eat down our store cupboard too. You inspired me to check my store cupboards and we have 5 tins of tomatoes and 5 jars of cooking sauces. before we go shopping, we check if we need bread, milk, eggs and cheese etc, but never jars and tins, so we end up buyinvg more.

And you've also inspired me to attempt some sausage rolls. the last time I made them, they didn't turn out very well, but it was only my second attempt.

As we approach the end of the month, how has your January been?
    Last edited by chanie; 22-01-2016 at 9:43 AM.
    2017 challenge to save £800
    Savings on purchases £807.18
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4327401ht
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 23rd Jan 16, 11:15 AM
    • 4,358 Posts
    • 13,207 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    We are trying to eat down our store cupboard too. You inspired me to check my store cupboards and we have 5 tins of tomatoes and 5 jars of cooking sauces. before we go shopping, we check if we need bread, milk, eggs and cheese etc, but never jars and tins, so we end up buyinvg more.

And you've also inspired me to attempt some sausage rolls. the last time I made them, they didn't turn out very well, but it was only my second attempt.

As we approach the end of the month, how has your January been?
    Originally posted by chanie
    Hi Chanie, doing ok with eating down the stores and managing longer than I thought we would.
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 23rd Jan 16, 11:42 AM
    • 4,358 Posts
    • 13,207 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    So what's been going on this week.

It's been a busy old week, work is not ok at the minute and it's amazing how things can change in a few days. I'm one to speak out when something isn't right and I will always back my workmates up if I think they have been treated unfairly, seems that this could be my downfall.

Had a goodish week moneywise an have managed to keep spends to a minimum, spent £20 on fuel, £5 on school items for DS and £29.03 on a top up shop on Wednesday at ald1, still taking packups to work, I'm hoping to do an entire month without buying a lunch out, which will be amazing if I manage it.
    Bank account is looking ok, I have had some good survey payouts this week, £5 p1necone, £18 mysurv£y, £15 0pinion pe0ple, £20 l1quid 0pinions and £6 from 3bay, also claimed £50 from y0ugov.
    Also means I have hit my target for DD school trip, so only another £100 to pay off by mid march and its done.
    Chid ben goes in on Tuesday, but have some direct debits going out, I may end up with a few quid left at the end of the month.
    Sent DH to get washing liq and guinea pig food so should only be a small spend.

Meal plan made to cover until Wednesday, I'm really hoping that we can go till Friday (payday) without doing a big food shop, its amazing what you can put together even when you think you have nothing in.

Meal plan -

Sat - Hm meatball, spaghetti and G bread.
    Sun - rst pork, roastie yorky puds, broccoli and cauliflower.
    Mon - pasta bake.
    Tues - jkt spuds, cheese, coleslaw, salad.

Plans for today are to catch up on housework, bake and take DD riding.

Catch you all later.x.
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 23rd Jan 16, 11:52 AM
    • 4,358 Posts
    • 13,207 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Jus been out to freezer to get out crumpets and garlic bread and found some mince lamb and some chicken thighs, so I'm thinking Wednesdays tea shepherd's pie and Thursday chicken stirfry.

Woohoo, looks like I'm going to get to payday without a big shop.
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 23rd Jan 16, 2:40 PM
    • 4,358 Posts
    • 13,207 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Jus placed a little order with L'OCCITANE, if you sign up to their mailing list they will send you a voucher for a free gift set to use instore or you can use the code COMFORT online with any order, I ordered a soap, 2 free samples, free gift set and free delivery, cost me £3 for the lot.
    Product Details UNIT PRICE Quantity TOTAL PRICE
    Melting Honey Solidarity Soap 50 g£3.00. Pivoine Sublime Perfecting Cream Sample FREE. Shea Comforting Gift FREE.
    Ultra Rich Comforting Cream Sample 1.5mlFREE.
    COMFORT: FREE Standard Delivery
    • chanie
    • By chanie 23rd Jan 16, 7:49 PM
    • 1,681 Posts
    • 8,327 Thanks
    chanie
    I'd be careful about speaking up for colleagues. I work in HR and see lots of people who will say 'xxx is a bully and everyone will back me up'. When you ask those people, they don't want to get involved!!!!

Thanks for the l'occitane tip. I've just registered, so hopefully, I'll get a code too. There is a store near work, so I may be able to pop in. If you are interested, the body shop give you £5 to spend on your birthday and space NK give you a birthday gift.
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 23rd Jan 16, 7:56 PM
    • 4,358 Posts
    • 13,207 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    I'd be careful about speaking up for colleagues. I work in HR and see lots of people who will say 'xxx is a bully and everyone will back me up'. When you ask those people, they don't want to get involved!!!!

Thanks for the l'occitane tip. I've just registered, so hopefully, I'll get a code too. There is a store near work, so I may be able to pop in. If you are interested, the body shop give you £5 to spend on your birthday and space NK give you a birthday gift.
    Originally posted by chanie

Yep Chanie lessoned learnt, will be looking out for no1 from now on.

Thanks for the body shop tip will take a look, sadly no space NK near me, that's what comes of living in the sticks.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 24th Jan 16, 6:56 AM
    • 1,681 Posts
    • 8,327 Thanks
    chanie
    I don't mean you shouldn't speak up if you see something that you don't agree with, it's about picking your battles and how you get your point across. I remember interviewing an employee ad part of an internal investigation and she didn't want to get involved. A year later, she came to see me to complain herself and I reminded her that she had the opportunity to speak up and didn't and so we couldn't act.
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 25th Jan 16, 7:13 PM
    • 4,358 Posts
    • 13,207 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Evening all.

Not much to update today, work was manic, head was kept down and I did my job and came home, did not get drawn into anything.

Nipped into town after work as DS needed a haircut, so £7 spent there but at least he looks owned now, also spent £3.95 on a some bread and fruit in ald1.

Money is getting tight now its the end of the month, but we should be ok, child ben goes in tomorrow, there is still a couple of DD to come out and then its payday Friday, whoop whoop.

I made a lemon cake this evening whilst I had oven on, so that's the packed lunches sorted for the next couple of days, really pleased this month that I'vegot back onto baking and not been buying treats, saved loads.
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 25th Jan 16, 8:29 PM
    • 5,621 Posts
    • 17,922 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Evening Pennywise,

Bet way to get your head down and not drawn in!!

Your baking always sounds delicious, it wouldn't last 2 mins in this house!!! xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £6936.45 - 04/09/17 - 70.99% paid off
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 26th Jan 16, 7:55 PM
    • 4,358 Posts
    • 13,207 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Evening all.

Good day at work, although there is a strange atmosphere, as in people not being happy but not saying anything! I have a feeling that something is brewing higher up the ranks. I'm keeping my head down and not getting involved.

Pack ups taken again today, just a cheese salad and fruit, I can't believe I've almost managed a full month without nipping to Gregg$ or tesc0 for a pastie or sandwich.

Child ben has gone in bank account and a couple of DD have gone out, still eating out of the cupboards and I usually do a big shop after work on a Wednesday but I'm putting it off until the weekend, need to and route in the freezer and see if we have any crumpets or teacakes for the kids after school snack. Will also need to bake again tomorrow as the lemon cake I made is almost all gone.

Both kids are well, although I noticed this morning that DS must have had a growth spurt as his trousers are starting to look short, so will need to buy school trousers this weekend, which may be difficult due to him being away on Saturday playing rugby and the shop that sells the trousers for his school is shut on sunday, oh well I will just have to get them and hope for the best.

Also DH birthday this weekend, we are going out to the local pub for tea, we will just have mains and then come home for birthday cake, I have no idea what to buy him for his birthday though.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 29th Jan 16, 2:06 PM
    • 1,681 Posts
    • 8,327 Thanks
    chanie
    I've been taking packed lunches for work for years now and its fine. I try and make nice lunches so I enjoy eating them and don't miss buying lunch.
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 30th Jan 16, 10:38 AM
    • 5,621 Posts
    • 17,922 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Morning Pennywise,

Ive been taking my packed lunch to work for the whole of January too and I'm pretty pleased with myself! I think variation is the key!! Even if you only spent £1 a day that would still be £20!!! So keep it up!

Happy Birthday to DH xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 31st Jan 16, 2:00 PM
    • 4,358 Posts
    • 13,207 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Afternoon all.

Been in a strange kind of funk the last few days, I have no idea what is wrong with me so I'm putting it down to weather and time of year.

Ended up going out last night it was a last minute thing as DH wanted to go out for drinks with friends for his birthday, it was all couples but I just didn't want to go/ couldn't be !!!!!d to dress up and wanted to stay in where it was warm, anyway DH persuaded me and I felt guilty as it is his birthday. Well I had a brilliant night and was glad I went, although we did spend £60 and I felt delicate this morning. I need to go out more and stop hiding away.

I have spent quite a bit on food shopping the last few days, almost £100 between ald1 and sainsbugs, but I did manage to get loads of reduced meat in sainsbugs which is now in the freezer.

Bought DS 2 pairs of school trousers, so that was £20.Fingers crossed he doesn't need anymore until next school year, have noticed his school shirts are getting tight across the back, he is filling out since he started playing rugby and DH is very broad in the back so looks as though DS is going to be the same.

Now people please don't shoot me down in flames, but me and DH have been looking at holidays, we have discussed trying to save for a week away in the summer and we want to go abroad, self catering in spain/Greece would be between £1500/£1800, so we have decided if we can save enough then we are going, DH has booked some time off in the summer but he can change the date by a few days if needs be, so if we have the money we are going to book something last minute and go. BUT I have told DH that I'm not putting anything on a CC so if we don't save it were not going. Its something to aim for and i'm so desperate for some sun.

Done a few moneysaving things this weekend, brought home the old fruit from work, its free for infants, but the old stuff that's bruised gets thrown so I brought it home for the chickens. Used some bodywash that hs been sat in the bathroom for ages to fill up the handwash bottles, its far too floral for me to use as bodywash but I can cope with it as hand soap. Received full size bottle of elvive shampoo/ conditioner/ hair masque, this has saved me a few quid. I've dyed my own hair instead of going to the hairdressers.

I think that's everything, hope everyone is ok.x.
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 31st Jan 16, 3:01 PM
    • 8,335 Posts
    • 46,655 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    I know what you mean about the funk. It keeps hitting me too.

Go for the holiday!! Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in November 2/5
    Lbs lost 14.5/107.
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 31st Jan 16, 3:06 PM
    • 4,358 Posts
    • 13,207 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    I know what you mean about the funk. It keeps hitting me too.

Go for the holiday!! Xx
    Originally posted by please-let-me-be-lucky

Hi PLMBL.

I hope you are well, I think it must be the time of year and the fact it feels as though it has been raining forever.

I'm certainly going to try for the holiday .
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 31st Jan 16, 3:07 PM
    • 4,358 Posts
    • 13,207 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Received a £5 amazon voucher from a survey site and just withdrawn £10 from another.
    • Scottishmummy
    • By Scottishmummy 31st Jan 16, 3:35 PM
    • 1,052 Posts
    • 1,870 Thanks
    Scottishmummy
    Didn't want to read and run but wanted to mention the holiday. We managed 5 of us to Greece self-catering for two weeks in October and it was lovely and warm without being so hot that we didn't want to walk around. We were just over £1500 for the two weeks. We would only have saved £50 if we had gone for ten days so if you can hold off until October you can still have a lovely holiday but for longer for the same price. And if you book now many companies take a monthly direct debit so you are not just needing to find a lump sum deposit then another lump sum just before you go.
    The person who moves a mountain begins by carrying small stones.
    £2 savers 2017 #12 = (£994) £0 Xmas 2017 #27 = (£1070) £2 20p savers #78
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2017 #23 (£275.24) £6.53/£200

Proud to be No. 47 of the DMP mutual support club
    DFW Nerd #380. Proud to be dealing with my debt
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 31st Jan 16, 3:43 PM
    • 5,621 Posts
    • 17,922 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Afternoon Pennywise,

You haven't had a holiday for a couple of years by my reckoning so I say go for it. Last year we went half board for a week and was £2100 in the 6 weeks hols and I'm so glad we went. We booked with jet 2 for £240 deposit and just chipped away at it and it didn't feel like a struggle at all.

xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

865Posts Today

6,685Users online

Martin's Twitter