Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 9th Aug 07, 5:10 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    PPI Reclaiming successes and failures
    • 9th Aug 07, 5:10 PM
    PPI Reclaiming successes and failures 9th Aug 07 at 5:10 PM
    Please report your PPI Reclaiming sucesses/failures here

This thread lists 1000s of stories, click the 'last' link above for the most recent

Not done it yet? Read the full Loan PPI Reclaiming and Credit Card PPI Reclaiming

How to report your success/failure?

1. Click reply to enter you story.

2. Report your story in the following format:
    • What were you reclaiming: (eg. loan, credit card, store card)
    • Who was the provider: (e.g. Capital One, NatWest)
    • How much did you get back: ????
    • Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: ????
    • And then write your brief reclaim tale
    REMEMEBER BY DOING THIS YOU ENCOURAGE OTHERS WHO MAY BE TOO SCARED TO RECLAIM HAVING BEEN MISSOLD.

What if I just want to discuss PPI reclaiming/ask a question?

Please do NOT post questions in this thread. Questions may be asked in the PPI reclaiming discussion thread where, although not guaranteed, it is more likely somebody may be able to help you.

Happy to tell your story in a newspaper/on TV?

There are over 20m PPI policies in the UK and its a £5bn a year industry; yet I believe a very substantial proportion of those were missold and I want to spread the word. We need to make PPI reclaiming as big as bank charges reclaiming and Mortgage Exit Fee reclaiming.

I need your help

To spread the word, I need case studies, people who've been placed on hold or succeeded and are willing to tell their story to encourage others to take on the banks and reclaim.

If you're willing to do this, please e-mail casestudy@moneysavingexpert.com (sorry but we can't answer questions at this email address) with as much of the following info as you can:

* how much was your loan/card balance
    * how much did you get back
    * who was your lender
    * a daytime phone number - we often need to reach people at very short notice
    * whether you are happy to appear in the papers,tv or both
    * where you live
    * did you use our template letters
    * did you go to the Ombusdman, court or use a claims handler

We really appreciate anyone that can help us with this but of course also please report your story below.

Thanks
    Martin
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 06-06-2012 at 6:58 PM.
Page 3
    • trking
    • By trking 5th Oct 07, 8:26 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    trking
    Reclaimed from HSBC
    Reclaimed just over £2000 from HSBC for PPI on a 1999 loan - the full amount plus interest added to the load and interest since then. Just sent a personalised temple letter to HSBC and got the money a few weeks later. Thanks Martin!
  • Jackswan
    About the same time as I claimed for default charges on my credit cards back in February 2007, I also wrote to M&S asking to repay PPI charges on my &More Credit Card back to July 2000. I have to confess it was a long shot,
    however it worked ! But, I was successful because of a changeover from their Chargecard which I had from 1985 to the upgraded &More Card in December 2002, if you remember these cards were sent out without anyone applying for them. They had system constraints in retrieving certain information proving that cardholders applied for PPI. In view of these constraints they repaid me the full amount I was claiming from July 2000 to
    March 2006 which was £882. I regarded this as a successful claim, however I often wonder if I had been paying any PPI since 1985 when I first had their Chargecard !!!
    So, anyone who originally had a Chargecard with M&S and was upgraded to the &More Card I suggest that you go for it to request repayment.
  • raymond5
    PPI reclaim
    Success at last, many thanks Martin & Team. Sent in letter to Lloyds TSB as per the template and after 2 letters from them plus one phone call, received back from the them full amount which was £4333.21 plus interest. This was for a loan 4 years ago.
    Now waiting for the OFT to get to grips with the Banks over the penalty charges and trust my court case can continue with them, this is pending at the moment.
  • toni66
    I would just like to say thankyou to Martin, I have just got back £307 from Benifical finance, for ppi that was not agreed on our account. thanks again, good luck everyone else.

toni
  • Kez1
    SUCESS!

I wrote to HSBC regarding PPI, I sell Loans myself and can now understand how i was missold my insurance.

I wrote to them 2 weeks ago and got a reply today couldnt belive how quick the response was they wouldnt admit to being at fault but they have however offered me a refund fo £1891. But are not willing to refund the 8% interest.

Thanks guys so so much, i am now awaiting a response from egg.
  • kate81
    HSBC success
    I took out Credit Protection Insurance on a £6000 loan over 48 months in March 2002 with HSBC. I was told at the time that in order to get the credit I would have to take out the insurance and £1210 was added on to my loan amount. I paid the loan off early after 33 months.

I sent my template letter (from this site) to HSBC on 20th September 2007 and I received a letter on 2nd October 2007 saying that someone will investigate the matter and it could take up to eight weeks.

The next letter I got was postmarked 10th October (I received it on the 13th - post strike) saying that they were offering me £1425.20. This is a refund of the premiums paid, which also includes any interest charged on the insurance loan. (Yet they don't accept the 8% added interest was appropriate)

A complete success and only had to post one letter to get a result!

I urge all others to go ahead with your claim.

Thank you so much to this site, I'm now £50 - £60 pounds better off a month as I'm using this money to pay off a credit card. A much needed bonus!
  • kelly.donovan7
    ltsb sucess hi followed martins template letter on the 1st of october and didnt really know if ltsb owed me money or not? but 1 week later recieved a letter from them saying they were refunding me £368 plus waiting for final interest amount from the year 2006 to 2007 briilant they are sending the cheak out today and are still investigating 2005 not bad seeeing as though i did,nt have a clue thanks martin just in time for xmas
  • LeighBamforth
    Natwest Failure to date!
    Hi everyone just to let you know that it seems that Natwest are toughening up on this matter!

I was sold PPI with a loan in October of 2005 (regretably at the time I was desperate and signed away another 6 years). Even after mentioning to the staff about a seperate income protectional policy which i had just commenced on the first October 2005, I was advised I should still take out this PPI. Staff also implied that this should aid in the success of this refinacing loan application.

I Regretted this as soon as got home and fully digested the amount I actually had to repay. I put it down to a bad judgement on my part at the time and knuckled down to make the repayments.

Upon seeing one of Martin's interviews on GMTV I felt strongly that this PPI had been misold to myself and proceded with a claim using the sample letter provided.

Two weeks later I received a very generalised letter stating that as a customer "duty of care checklist" had been filled out and signed by myself at the time of application, that they were satisfied with the fact that they had done everything towards my best interests that they regretfully would be unable to honour a full refund of the approximate amount of £2500 for the PPI paid over the last two years!

Completely unsatisfied with this response I preceeded with the next sample letter advising that I would take the matter to the ombudsmans and want contact within 14 days.

Today 4 days after dropping my letter into store I receive a phone call stating that Natwest is upholding thier decision and refusing a full refund of this amount, they went on to explain that this PPI was offered as an extra form of protection, which can legally run along side with my seperate income protection policy. To add to my dissappointment, not once even after including a copy of my seperate income protection scheme did they even suggest that this PPI could be cancelled. I raise this matter with them during the call and they say that yes it would be possible to cancel this policy and they would send me details with regards as to how to go about this. They also stated that as of 26th October another new department would be dealing with these cases!

I am now quite dispondent and would like advice as to whether to continue with my claim to the Ombudsman, or whether to just to give up and cancel my policy (saving £110 month on the brighter side of things). Could there be any negative comeback from a continued pursiut of this PPI refund?

Any advice much appreciated.
  • TwinsMum
    Not many people seem to have success stories, my bank has vertually told me to get lost, and I know I was mis-sold the policy, bit too scared to go any further as they have made suggestions that they could close my account and demand all payemnts back now.:confused:
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 16th Oct 07, 11:34 PM
    • 8,109 Posts
    • 42,244 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Not many people seem to have success stories, my bank has vertually told me to get lost, and I know I was mis-sold the policy, bit too scared to go any further as they have made suggestions that they could close my account and demand all payemnts back now
    I just had to reply to this - not for you - but for everyone. Let me say this in big letters...

Of course your bank will tell you to get lost, that's part of the dance!

The same thing happened with bank charges reclaiming in early days; yet many do give pay outs. If you've been missold you're entitled to your money back.

Alwyas remember the expected odds are as follows

1. Write first letter askign for a refund. Chance: Very slim you'll get a no
    2. Then Threaten to go to the ombudsmen and push harder: A realistic chance of gettting a settlement
    3. Then go to the ombudsman: You should get a payout if you were missold - of course, there are no guarantees, and sometimes the ombudsman doesn't have the jurisdiction, but in many cases a payout will happen here. Better still there's no cost attached.

Martin
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 16-10-2007 at 11:36 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • techspec
    • By techspec 16th Oct 07, 11:50 PM
    • 4,407 Posts
    • 11,137 Thanks
    techspec
    Wow, a voice from above.

One minute he's up at the crack of dawn on GMTV, mixing with the celebs. The next he's burning the midnight oil with us ordinary folk.

What a guy!!

Now come on folks, lets go kick some PPI butt!
    Last edited by techspec; 16-10-2007 at 11:58 PM.
  • lupogti
    Hi I sent a letter to HSBC asking for a refund of my PP for a loan of £5000 taken out in 2003 over 5 years. The payment protection was £1219.00.

I have just received a phonecall from HSBC telling me that the verdict was in my favour, its not even been 30 days!

He said he needs to calculate the figures but a letter will be sent in the post and that i will need to go into my local branch and re-structure.

This worries me slightly does this mean i will have to take out another loan, something I didn't want to do and pay interest all over again. Or will I be getting a refund and that will be taken off the outstanding loan?

I only have 1264.14 left on the loan, around 9 payments. How is this likely to pan out?

Will I / should I get 51 months worth of payment protection and the compounded interest on top of that? What should I be wary of?

Thanks
  • lupogti
    Just got my offer through of £1429.00 for 51 months of payment protection!!

Only sent my letter on 23rd september 2007!!!

Wheres the catch?????
  • k1mmie
    Congratulations - First Direct and HSBC do seem to have been the easiest banks to cough up with PPI and charge reclaiming. Well done!
  • jakeydogsculymulder
    Ppi Reclaiming Success
    A BIG THANK YOU TO MMT'S MY HUSBAND TOOK OUT A BIG LOAN WHEN WE WERE EXPECTING OUR FIRST CHILD, TO DO SOME HOME IMPROVEMENTS. HE TOOK THE PPI NOT REALLY KNOWING ANYTHING ABOUT IT, JUST BEFORE MY DAUGHTERS FIRST BIRTHDAY HE BROKE HIS BIG TOE AT WORK, AND WAS OFF WORK FOR ABOUT A MONTH WE WERE TOLD THAT WE COULDN'T CLAIM THE PPI UNTIL HE WAS OFF FOR 90 DAYS. WE THEN TRIED TO CANCEL AND WERE TOLD WE WOULD HAVE TO RE-DO THE LOAN PAYING BACK MORE THAN THE ORIGINAL LOAN. WE SENT NORTHERN ROCK A LETTER USING YOUR TEMPLATE AND 8 WKS LATER THEY HAVE AGREED THEY WERE WRONG. THEY ARE REDUCING THE LOAN PAYMENT BY 150.00 PER MONTH AND ARE SENDING US A CHQ FOR OVER 6000.00. MANY THANKS. PLEASE POST THIS AS I HOPE IT WILL INSPIRE OTHERS. PLEASED HUSBAND AND WIFE FROM WALES.
    Last edited by jakeydogsculymulder; 17-10-2007 at 9:59 PM.
  • TigerTiger26
    I have just had a phone call for a man at Central Capital who broked my loan on behlf of First Plus. Although he didn't agree with the points I raised in my letter he did agree (after listening to the calls) that I was mis-sold a policy I clearly didn't need. Result = a cheque coming to me and my wife for £1,881.21 and a reduced amount in our monthly outgoings. Next step = Take out new loan to repay old loan and reduce term from 54 months to 24 months!!!

Thanks to Martin and samjocky for giving me the idea and belief to go through with this. I am now two weeks into the four that HSBC promised a reply so bring it on!!!
    Last edited by TigerTiger26; 20-10-2007 at 5:17 PM. Reason: new information
  • TheDarkSide
    What were you reclaiming: Credit Protection Insurance on an HSBC Loan taken out in 2002
    Who was the provider: HSBC
    How much did you get back: £7136!!!!!
    Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: Just two letters; one asking for the terms and conditions of the loan and PPI and then one claiming the money back.
    And then write your brief reclaim tale: HSBC stated that they could not disprove our claim. As an added bonus for us, they gave us two choices with the resulting refund; we could either restructure the remaining balance of the loan (removing the PPI payments) and have a cheque for £7135+, or they would use the money to pay the laon off in full. We checked with the local branch and got a redemption figure of just short of £9000. Obviously we took the second option, gaining £500+ per month from no longer having to pay the loan repayments and also got more out of the bank than the original £7136
  • dragon51
    Very Successful time
    I have been very successful with ppi claims

One with M&S for a total of £6,430. This was for the ppi premium and interest and then contractual interest on top. This was done with a few letters only.

One with the Natwest for over £7,000 for a final loan that I had with them, this was done by a few letters.

I am in the process of now reclaiming back ppi on 3 previous loans a grand total of £16,000. This is 3 premiums and interest, and contractual interest to boot.

So wish me luck
  • NoMoreDenial
    PPI Reclaiming successes and failures
    Just wanted to share my good news,as it's not often I have any regarding my debts!

I have a loan with the dreaded LloydsTsb for £9000 of which £2200 was PPI.

I believe i was mis-sold PPI after reading the relevent link by Martin so as i've just started my DMP theres no way i could ever claim my PPI coz i'm no longer sticking to the original agreement so i thought on the off chance i'd write to Lloyds asking for a refund!

Would you believe it,within two weeks i've had a letter saying that though they can't prove it either way they would like to refund my the total PPI amount plus interest.

Amazing!! Lets hope there as agreeable about my DMP proposal!!!
  • KAYBELLE
    Shame On You Carol Vorderman !!!
    Well it has taken 5 months and plenty of letters going back and forth but finally after involving the financial ombudsman I have had a cheque today for £11,610.53p off Firstplus for a mis-sold ppi!!!!!!!!
    Thanks to Martin and all who advised from my other posts. My advice - keep at 'em and lets all get our money back !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

940Posts Today

6,827Users online

Martin's Twitter