Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    AstroBoy72
    Scammed by Entitlements Agency
    • 16th Jul 12, 12:11 PM
    Scammed by Entitlements Agency 16th Jul 12 at 12:11 PM
    My wife was overpaying tax all last year so, we looked for the official tax website to find out how to get a refund. Like !!!!!!! idiots we thought taxrebate.co.uk was the official site to get the tax refunds so, filled out the form to get the refund pack. Filled out the form and waited for them to get back to us (still thinking it was a refund branch of the official HM Revenue & Customs).

We received a letter from HM Revenue & Customs saying she was untitled to a refund and repayment would be made to The Entitlements Agency which we still thought was a part of the HM Revenue & Customs.

Today we get a letter and cheque minus;
    17% processing fees +VAT.

We were thinking why would the HM Revenue & Customs be charging fees when we realised that this is not all we thought it to be. You might think we were stupid but, there was no mention of any type of fees that would have to be paid and they made it look like they were from HM Revenue & Customs.

Do we have any chance of getting this reversed or at least getting the fees reduced, we haven't put the cheque in the bank yet?

I don't understand how this is allowed to happen, my wife worked very very hard for the money and we are in a situation where we really need it!

Any advice would be great. BTW; they didn't send the P60 back with the cheque, should we be worried?
    Last edited by AstroBoy72; 16-07-2012 at 2:21 PM.
Page 3
  • Seanrad
    Strange question but could calling something like this a 'scam' in the public domain get you into trouble? It is vanishingly unlikely to be a scam (unpleasant and maybe even misleading - but IMO probably legal).

Everyone who makes a mistake these days screams scam. Detracts from the rattentin gien to eal conmen in my opinion, we should use the word with caution.
    • John_Pierpoint
    • By John_Pierpoint 9th Aug 13, 4:41 AM
    • 8,231 Posts
    • 7,383 Thanks
    John_Pierpoint
    I would define a scam as "taking advantage of the ignorant in society to obtain high fees for little work". Perhaps my preferred wording for that definition would be rip off ?

If it is obtaining pecuniary advantage by deception it is better described as fraud.

If it is taking a fee for no work it is simply theft.

What is your definition of scam ?
    Last edited by John_Pierpoint; 09-08-2013 at 4:46 AM.
    • noh
    • By noh 9th Aug 13, 8:55 AM
    • 5,133 Posts
    • 3,452 Thanks
    noh
    http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/scam

noun informal
    • a dishonest scheme; a fraud:
  • chalmizzle
    just to add, I've applied with this company too, awaiting correspondance for entitlements.

Reading through the posts, I've realised that,

www. taxrebate .co.uk
    www. inland-revenue .org.uk &
    www. taxcredits .org.uk

all have the same theme, company address etc

SOMETHING VERY FISHY ABOUT THEM! :/
    • John_Pierpoint
    • By John_Pierpoint 9th Aug 13, 12:57 PM
    • 8,231 Posts
    • 7,383 Thanks
    John_Pierpoint
    Here are some folks discussing the etymology of the expression scam.
    Seems it is most likely an American import.

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1048

At least using the agency route enabled the government to get a £9 chunk of the tax refund, as in this "hypothetical" example posted by the OP:

If your rebate was say £300, The Entitlements Agency would keep £51 plus £8.93 in VAT, meaning you have lost a chunk of almost £60 from your rebate.

Mind you in my case of reclaiming about £500 of overpaid tax, it took three letters followed by a 24 hour attempt to get through to a so called help line on the shores of the Lake District [It was in reality a "triage" centre intended to sort the realistic claims from the people who did not understand the system followed by a 36 hour wait for someone to phone me back "tomorrow" followed by a reply to one of my three letters, about 6 weeks later telling me the situation appeared to have been sorted out. I don't think any claims agency would have made much of a profit from their £51-£85 fee in those circumstances.

Perhaps the explanation was that HMRC had recently got rid of their experienced staff and replaced them by a command and control computer system back in 2009/10 ?
    Last edited by John_Pierpoint; 09-08-2013 at 1:18 PM.
  • vivroy
    I too have been caught in this trap. I sent my details to them originally and had all my documents back saying they could not help me and to send the information to the tax office which I did. When the reply came back telling me I was entitled to a refund and that I would receive this through the entitlement agency (why I wonder could the Tax Office not send me my refund after the Agency stated they could not deal with this) I have not cashed the cheque yet as I am still waiting for more refunds for previous years I have tried phoning but as previously stated they do not answer the phones I have written a letter to them but with no reply. Do you think if I tell them I am going to the small claims court I will get some sort of satisfaction.
    • John_Pierpoint
    • By John_Pierpoint 15th Aug 13, 5:45 PM
    • 8,231 Posts
    • 7,383 Thanks
    John_Pierpoint
    If you decide to change or get rid of your tax agent, it is your responsibility to write and tell HMRC, as you would inform HMRC if your postal address changed.
  • Gail_P
    Should HMRC be advertising a private enterprise on their website. I clicked on a link onthe HMRC site entitled claim a tax rebate after being told by someone at HMRC that I had to make my claim online. This was the only link available. Who are their regulators.
  • nomunnofun
    Should HMRC be advertising a private enterprise on their website. I clicked on a link onthe HMRC site entitled claim a tax rebate after being told by someone at HMRC that I had to make my claim online. This was the only link available. Who are their regulators.
    Originally posted by Gail_P
    Strange! Can you post the URL of the HMRC site or a link?
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 26th Sep 13, 9:44 PM
    • 5,321 Posts
    • 4,675 Thanks
    00ec25
    Should HMRC be advertising a private enterprise on their website. I clicked on a link on the HMRC site entitled claim a tax rebate after being told by someone at HMRC that I had to make my claim online. This was the only link available. Who are their regulators.
    Originally posted by Gail_P
    as a newbie you will not be able to post the link on this forum but please would you type out the url of the page you allege has this private advert on it so we can check what you say. I'll bet you're not on a genuine HMRC site !

just put a space somewhere in the url, eg:
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/refund-reclaim.htm
    becomes
    hmrc .gov .uk/incometax/refund
  • esmerellda
    5/11/2013

The Entitlements Agency Ltd is being investigated by the Claims Management Regulator under regulation 35 of The Compensation (Claims Management Services) Regulations 2006.

https://www.claimsregulation.gov.uk/details.aspx/15808
    LegalBeagles
  • krism92
    The EnTITlements agency
    Luckily I sent off for a letter to apply thinking these guys were legit. Only after reading the front page of the letter I saw the 17% cut part. A quick google search and I saw this article so rest assured AstroBoy you unfortunate mistake is helping others!

Rather sad to think that this is somehow a legitimate thing that people are allowed to get away with but I guess you can't be too careful these days!
    • andyl
    • By andyl 17th Sep 15, 9:44 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    andyl
    This seems a most unhelpful thread, instead of criticising people for falling for scams surely the emphasis should be how we get out of using the entitlements agency and claiming our fees back. Are we locked in to this company for good?
    I for one wish to know what we can do,
    • tomtontom
    • By tomtontom 17th Sep 15, 10:23 AM
    • 7,199 Posts
    • 16,351 Thanks
    tomtontom
    This seems a most unhelpful thread, instead of criticising people for falling for scams surely the emphasis should be how we get out of using the entitlements agency and claiming our fees back. Are we locked in to this company for good?
    Originally posted by andyl
    You can't reclaim fees for a service already provided - you will have agreed to their commission at the outset.

You're not locked into the company for good. Going forward you are free to make any new claims yourself.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 17th Sep 15, 10:30 AM
    • 37,823 Posts
    • 34,215 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Historically I am not sure what you can do. However for the future you can write to HMRC and withdraw your authorisation for them to communicate with this or any other third party about your personal tax affairs.

Note that if you DON'T do this, I believe that HMRC will continue to communicate with them, and they could well be entitled to continue to claim their cut.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 2 shawls, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 1 seaman's hat ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, another seaman's hat
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 17th Sep 15, 10:32 AM
    • 23,400 Posts
    • 13,602 Thanks
    xylophone
    Are we locked in to this company for good?
    See post 12 and post 55 above.
    • Kaycee63
    • By Kaycee63 3rd Mar 16, 11:07 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kaycee63
    I also requested a tax claim form pack but was only sent a tax claim form I have now just been sent an authorisation letter that they want me to sign allowing them to act as my agents if I haven't given them authority then the tax office should not release any rebates due should they ?
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 3rd Mar 16, 11:31 PM
    • 30,269 Posts
    • 19,148 Thanks
    DCFC79
    I also requested a tax claim form pack but was only sent a tax claim form I have now just been sent an authorisation letter that they want me to sign allowing them to act as my agents if I haven't given them authority then the tax office should not release any rebates due should they ?
    Originally posted by Kaycee63
    No they shouldnt.

Use the correct agency folks, it will save you hassle in the future.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Kaycee63
    • By Kaycee63 4th Mar 16, 12:10 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kaycee63
    Thanks for the reply
    • Force5
    • By Force5 10th Mar 16, 9:23 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Force5
    ~I also have been scammed by poet by this company
    I have just learnt through HMC that unless I cancel the contract with this company that I am locked in for the following term: 2010 through to 2016 which mean any tax rebate i may have for this period of time has to go through this company! I am sure there was no mention of the length of term of the contract I thought it was a one off! There was also no mention of a fee for doing this.
    Like you the papers that came through the door looked like they were form the HMC department not a private company. I hadn't thought about the P60 form!
    The government needs to shut this company down. I will never reclaim tax for that period of time again because they are not getting any more of my money!

We didn't fill out the reclaim form online, we requested one to be posted. I can remember if it looked the same as the one online but, pretty sure it didn't. We had no idea there were agencies that did this sort of thing so, assumed it was official and probably overlooked some of the details however, I think alarm bells would have rung out if I saw any mention of percentages/fees.

Nothing we can do, apart from submit them to Anonymous I guess

I'm just a little worried about what my wife may have signed now, they still have her P60 and we think she is due another refund.
    Originally posted by AstroBoy72
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

865Posts Today

6,685Users online

Martin's Twitter