Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    AstroBoy72
    Scammed by Entitlements Agency
    • 16th Jul 12, 12:11 PM
    Scammed by Entitlements Agency 16th Jul 12 at 12:11 PM
    My wife was overpaying tax all last year so, we looked for the official tax website to find out how to get a refund. Like !!!!!!! idiots we thought taxrebate.co.uk was the official site to get the tax refunds so, filled out the form to get the refund pack. Filled out the form and waited for them to get back to us (still thinking it was a refund branch of the official HM Revenue & Customs).

We received a letter from HM Revenue & Customs saying she was untitled to a refund and repayment would be made to The Entitlements Agency which we still thought was a part of the HM Revenue & Customs.

Today we get a letter and cheque minus;
    17% processing fees +VAT.

We were thinking why would the HM Revenue & Customs be charging fees when we realised that this is not all we thought it to be. You might think we were stupid but, there was no mention of any type of fees that would have to be paid and they made it look like they were from HM Revenue & Customs.

Do we have any chance of getting this reversed or at least getting the fees reduced, we haven't put the cheque in the bank yet?

I don't understand how this is allowed to happen, my wife worked very very hard for the money and we are in a situation where we really need it!

Any advice would be great. BTW; they didn't send the P60 back with the cheque, should we be worried?
    Last edited by AstroBoy72; 16-07-2012 at 2:21 PM.
Page 2
    • antonic
    • By antonic 16th Jul 12, 5:09 PM
    • 1,755 Posts
    • 2,590 Thanks
    antonic
    Write up about them on lovemoney;

First up,The Entitlements Agency quite simply enables taxpayers to print off and complete a claim form to get the ball rolling which they will forward onto HMRC. In return, you’ll be charged a painful flat fee of 17% (+ VAT) of any rebate they manage to claim back on your behalf. If your rebate was say £300, The Entitlements Agency would keep £51 plus £8.93 in VAT, meaning you have lost a chunk of almost £60 from your rebate.

Interestingly, when I typed ‘Inland Revenue’ - the precursor to HMRC - into Google, I was surprised to see The Entitlements Agency advert appears at the top of the page. The url for the site is actually inland-revenue.org.uk. They appear first because they would have PAID to appear first on the page and fool you into signing up.

If you ask me this makes the site appear officially HMRC sanctioned even though it’s completely independent from any government agency.
    Originally posted by AstroBoy72
    I`m sorry you got stung
    LBM Sept 2005 spoke to Payplan - brilliant !
    Dec 2005 debt £21.959.64 + HBOS Int £1769.32
    June 2013 debt £0.00
    DF status confirmed by email 10/07/13
    DFW Long Hauler 297
    • John_Pierpoint
    • By John_Pierpoint 16th Jul 12, 6:19 PM
    • 8,231 Posts
    • 7,383 Thanks
    John_Pierpoint
    Another shyster site and the power /willingness of the authorities to do anything about it.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1836087
    • JasonLVC
    • By JasonLVC 16th Jul 12, 6:31 PM
    • 14,897 Posts
    • 36,180 Thanks
    JasonLVC
    I just visited their website and downloaded their Tax Rebate form.

It is a three page document, the first page is where you list your P60,et cdetails.

The second page is a HMRC form known as a 64-8 agent authority form, it gives HMRC permission to correspond with the agent on your behalf.

The third page is in effect, a power of attorney release form giving HMRC permission to pay any refund to the agent instead of directly to the taxpayer. This menas the agent gets the cash first and you cannot complain to HMRC as they are acting on your instructions so you cannot avoid paying their 17% fee and HMRC have not done anything wrong in paying the third party your refund.

Just be careful out there folks. I do not see anything underhand from this particular outfit, they provide a service that takes all the hassle out of making a claim for those who cannot or don't want to do it themselves.

If you want to do it yourself in the future, just write to your local Tax office with what you trhink you are owed and take it from there.
    Anger ruins joy, it steals the goodness of my mind. Forces me to say terrible things. Overcoming anger brings peace of mind, a mind without regret. If I overcome anger, I will be delightful and loved by everyone.
  • LurkerTurnedPoster
    Hope you get your money Astroboy.
    Maybe stomach the charges as you were having too much of a time to do it yourself and accepting you got a service? - and chalk it up to experience.

Sharing on the MSE forum means others can chalk your experience when googling the company name and considering it themselves.
    Last edited by LurkerTurnedPoster; 22-07-2012 at 10:16 PM.
    No debts. No credit cards. No store cards. No mortgage. No CCJs. High credit rating intact. Living frugally. Want to start business soon. Trying to keep head above water; while standing on own feet; staying within the law; and not falling into debt. Looking to raise income, who isn't?
    • thenudeone
    • By thenudeone 16th Jul 12, 8:35 PM
    • 4,402 Posts
    • 1,909 Thanks
    thenudeone
    There are scammers in every area, try looking for European Health Insurance Card or Booking a Driving Test on google and paid adverts will try to release you from your money faster than you can say "google carefully".
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
    • TM1976
    • By TM1976 17th Jul 12, 5:43 PM
    • 716 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    TM1976
    It's relatively easy to claim this type of refund yourself. You need to spent 2-3 hours researching on the internet, you can usually find something on MSE and on HMR&C's site. You might need to phone HMR&C and send them a letter.

If all you want to do is click on the first thing that comes out when you Google "Tax Rebates" and sign all the forms without reading the details using a company like this probably represents your best chance of getting a rebate.
    • TM1976
    • By TM1976 17th Jul 12, 5:53 PM
    • 716 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    TM1976
    Having said that when you're using names like "The Entitlements Agency" and www.thetaxoffice.org.uk you're clearly to create the impression you're a government agency. It's pretty obvious they aren't from the website but it's still a bit of a sharp practice.
  • towner1987
    how long after you recieve the calculation from hmr does it take for the entitlement agency to send out cheque?????
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 12th Oct 12, 12:56 PM
    • 2,426 Posts
    • 1,750 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    how long after you recieve the calculation from hmr does it take for the entitlement agency to send out cheque?????
    Originally posted by towner1987
    Have you actually read this thread? If so why are you even this so-called "agency"?
  • Bertie78
    What annoyed me about these people is I sent my claim to them 2 years ago and nothing happened so I did it myself and the cheque still went to them!

I've paid £80 for them to do nothing, I'm very annoyed but I don't think there is much I can do.

Mark
    • olly300
    • By olly300 2nd Feb 13, 5:09 PM
    • 14,314 Posts
    • 13,632 Thanks
    olly300
    What annoyed me about these people is I sent my claim to them 2 years ago and nothing happened so I did it myself and the cheque still went to them!

I've paid £80 for them to do nothing, I'm very annoyed but I don't think there is much I can do.

Mark
    Originally posted by Bertie78
    I don't know how much money and time you have but you could take them to the small claims court for breach of contract especially if you have proof of when you sent in your claims.

These type of outfits don't want to be put in front of judges as the media are allowed to report on cases.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • Jock Scot
    What a Shower
    Having said that when you're using names like "The Entitlements Agency" and thetaxoffice.org you're clearly to create the impression you're a government agency. It's pretty obvious they aren't from the website but it's still a bit of a sharp practice.
    Originally posted by TM1976
    I agree.

My student daughter was looking into reclaiming some tax and this lot popped up. She was filling out the forms when I looked over her shoulder and it needed a double-take to realise that they are not part of Government. Fact that they are now using "inland-revenue.org" in their address doesn't exactly help to clear things up.

They state that they are "regulated" by the Ministry of Justice with respect to claims management services. Must be one of those "light touch" regulatory bodies if they can play fast and loose like this .......
    • TM1976
    • By TM1976 17th Jul 13, 3:20 PM
    • 716 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    TM1976
    I agree.

My student daughter was looking into reclaiming some tax and this lot popped up. She was filling out the forms when I looked over her shoulder and it needed a double-take to realise that they are not part of Government. Fact that they are now using "inland-revenue.org" in their address doesn't exactly help to clear things up.

They state that they are "regulated" by the Ministry of Justice with respect to claims management services. Must be one of those "light touch" regulatory bodies if they can play fast and loose like this .......
    Originally posted by Jock Scot
    http://www.justice.gov.uk/claims-regulation/information-for-consumers/how-to-complain

Ministry of Justice CMC regulation is for PPI, personal injury claims etc though so they won't regulate these types of services.
  • sammsbt
    My son has requested a tax rebate and we received notification from inland revenue back in May that his rebate had been sent to the entitlements agency, he still has not received any payment from this agency (two months has now passed). Can anyone advise as to how long it is before you receive your rebate from this agency? Or is there any advice available as to how we can contact them, as phone number never answers? Does anyone know if there is legal help available, or if contacting citizens advice, will help him to get his money from these people?
    • CKhalvashi
    • By CKhalvashi 29th Jul 13, 3:36 AM
    • 8,762 Posts
    • 24,748 Thanks
    CKhalvashi
    I asked for advice not criticism, thanks anyway.
    Originally posted by AstroBoy72
    The only advice that I can give, is that you signed (online) a contract, and have to stick with that.

In this case, the contract was rebate minus 17%.

The Entitlements Agency have done what you asked them to do, HMRC have done what they were asked to do, so as far as I'm concerned, all is fair.

CK
    "I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Call me Remainer or Romaniac, but not Remoaner. It's insulting and I have the right to have my voice heard too.

I can spell, my iPad can't.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 29th Jul 13, 8:45 AM
    • 18,541 Posts
    • 14,265 Thanks
    agrinnall
    CK, that was over a year ago, I expect the OP has got over it by now .
    • CKhalvashi
    • By CKhalvashi 29th Jul 13, 8:57 AM
    • 8,762 Posts
    • 24,748 Thanks
    CKhalvashi
    CK, that was over a year ago, I expect the OP has got over it by now .
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Sorry, I go into 'Auto response' mode at that time in the morning
    "I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Call me Remainer or Romaniac, but not Remoaner. It's insulting and I have the right to have my voice heard too.

I can spell, my iPad can't.
    • LittleVoice
    • By LittleVoice 29th Jul 13, 3:27 PM
    • 8,441 Posts
    • 6,025 Thanks
    LittleVoice
    My son has requested a tax rebate and we received notification from inland revenue back in May that his rebate had been sent to the entitlements agency, he still has not received any payment from this agency (two months has now passed). Can anyone advise as to how long it is before you receive your rebate from this agency? Or is there any advice available as to how we can contact them, as phone number never answers? Does anyone know if there is legal help available, or if contacting citizens advice, will help him to get his money from these people?
    Originally posted by sammsbt
    Does the company know the correct address for your son?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 29th Jul 13, 5:19 PM
    • 18,541 Posts
    • 14,265 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Sorry, I go into 'Auto response' mode at that time in the morning
    Originally posted by CKhalvashi
    Yes, I've done it myself without realising. It's why I made a suggestion that in the thread list it could say alongside the originator's name the date when the thread was created, so it would be a bit more obvious which are old ones, but the idea was pooh-poohed by other posters.
  • LurkerTurnedPoster
    If someone is experiencing it, they will click on it and benefit from your posts - so you are fabulous anyway xx
    No debts. No credit cards. No store cards. No mortgage. No CCJs. High credit rating intact. Living frugally. Want to start business soon. Trying to keep head above water; while standing on own feet; staying within the law; and not falling into debt. Looking to raise income, who isn't?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

865Posts Today

6,685Users online

Martin's Twitter